Turn on thread page Beta

is it possible for a girl to be absolutely stunning to you but not to anyone else watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes i dont think rihanna is as good looking as people make out and i think we all have our own view on what is beautiful i have been called pretty by some and ugly by others its all a matter of what we see as attractive.

ReputationRep:
    I think so - I met this guy about a month ago because he came over to me while we were out one night and said "You're beautiful" - whispered it right in my ear, after we'd been catching each other's eye for a while. And he doesn't drink/take drugs/need glasses; I did ask, because when he said it I assumed he was a wee bit hammered.

My boyfriend's never called me that. And that's fine, because I know full well I'm average-looking on a good day. Have seen the other guy a few times since - because he turned out to be awesome and really good banter, as well as really hot - and he's still convinced I'm good-looking. So the point is, YES, I think someone can look amazing to you but not to any/many other people.

ReputationRep:
    I see a girl like that in the mirror every single day :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    I think if you find their personality attractive it makes them more physically attractive to you
    This is so true...

ReputationRep:
    Well i thought my ex boyfriend was gorgeous, best looking guy ever, but my friends thought otherwise, they thought he was below average looking, guess it was his personality that made me find him so attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkxangel)
    x
    (Original post by Eviebaby)
    x
    just because you're half white doesn't mean your "ethnic" or otherwise features are somehow "diluted", brazilian people (like adriana lima) are very mixed too. and having "almond eyes" and **** isn't some exotic dream feature :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mel20)
    I find 'his' girls a lot prettier than 'your' girls too! I guess its just down to personal preference x
    Thank you. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkxangel)
    I know that, but she isn't as 'ethnic' as my girls even if she is dark as she is mixed I think. The first girl eyes are absolutely gorgeous! Those are her best feature imo.
    Well ethnicity is irrelevant anyway, we're talking about attractiveness not E&D for crying out loud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    just because you're half white doesn't mean your "ethnic" or otherwise features are somehow "diluted", brazilian people (like adriana lima) are very mixed too. and having "almond eyes" and **** isn't some exotic dream feature :curious:
    Lol, the post didn't quote properly so I didn't register until now.

I never said anything about dilution and whiteness......I never said that almond eyes are an exotic dream feature.

I actually included Portia de Rossi as one of my favourite girls and she's white and blonde. Her eyes are almond shaped and incredibly beautiful.

I just said I like striking cat-like features in women and that can be found across all races.

Menwise, I go for slightly quirky features as well. My current partner is white with blonde Afro textured hair and large almond blue eyes. He looks incredibly unique and people come up to him all the time to ask if his hair is real and how beautiful it is. I feel so lucky (he's a nice guy too) and find him fit as hell!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely! I seem to find people to become better looking the longer I know them and am friends with them. It's probably because I see their personality more than just actual physical looks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Lol, the post didn't quote properly so I didn't register until now.

I never said anything about dilution and whiteness......I never said that almond eyes are an exotic dream feature.

I actually included Portia de Rossi as one of my favourite girls and she's white and blonde. Her eyes are almond shaped and incredibly beautiful.

I just said I like striking cat-like features in women and that can be found across all races.

Menwise, I go for slightly quirky features as well. My current partner is white with blonde Afro textured hair and large almond blue eyes. He looks incredibly unique and people come up to him all the time to ask if his hair is real and how beautiful it is. I feel so lucky (he's a nice guy too) and find him fit as hell!
    yeah, I was discussing the general gist I got from the whole exchange, but mainly from the side of the other person I quoted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandabidoze!)
    Would Angelina Jolie be an example of almondy eyes?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vzPKMblRM_...jolie-2555.jpg

And Mila Kunis?

http://www.musicrooms.net/files/cele..._652137211.jpg
    I'd say Angelina has the most cat shaped eyes out of the two as he eyes are flatter at the bottom and round at the top.

Mila Kunis has pretty almond eyes but for some reason I find the bottom half of her face really unattractive. I'm noone to judge as I'm weird looking myself but jaw and her lip area with the cheekbones.... It just looks a bit square and harsh. She's obviously a very pretty girl though still. Just not my cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, how can it be a genetic thing when people from other cultures such as some in Africa and Asia consider the people we may generally consider beautiful such as models and actresses completely hideous. They may believe a long neck or large forehead or wide nose stunning on a woman and we are all 99.9% identical in DNA so how can that be right? I also think that within our culture, beauty can definately be in the eye of the beholder as well.

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is quite subjective, related to personal tastes such as ethnicity and culture quite a lot.

I'd agree that some girls can be totally stunning ( an ex as an example but I won't post a picture) I thought she was just but others and herself said she was just 'average'

Haley Williams
    http://www.short-hair-style.com/imag...tyle-23997.jpg

Avril Lavigne
    http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/q...gne/avril4.jpg

?
    (there are much better pictures our there but I love these two)

Theres this girl which is the opposite to what you mentioned, everyone else thinks shes really hot but I honestly don't find her attractive, its kinda weird really... thats life i guess

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's possible : D I've found people to be absolutely stunning when I had a crush on them, then if I got over them or found out they were a douche, they suddenly just look ordinary to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardd)
    hard to explain but because of genetic/natural
    or will a stunning girl always be stunning to everyone?
    yes! i thought about this weeks ago and saw something which reminded me of it earlier today
    see here:
    Surprise Celeb Nabs 'Sexiest Woman Alive' Title

i don't even think she's very pretty or 'sexy' for that matter!
    she just looks really average and boring! :sleep:
    but i'm pretty sure there may be someone who disagree's with me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardd)
    hard to explain but because of genetic/natural
    or will a stunning girl always be stunning to everyone?
    I'm actually currently writing a project on the importance of symmetrical features on how attractive someone is considered. The short answer is "very". We're programmed to find particular features attractive because we desire clean, healthy mates who'll produce clean, healthy children. Also, culturally, we are more likely to place importance on physical attractiveness if there's a greater prevalence of parasites in our culture's environment. We're almost completely at nature's whim.

However, the story doesn't end there. Some people find peculiar things that run against the norm to be attractive. These people fall into two categories: The ones who are deeply affected in some way, who have a particular "type" that doesn't conform with the "types" that have been established by their society as being acceptable, and the ones who place personality above physical appearance (potentially without even realising it).

So while we've got this very important biological hardware telling us what is and isn't attractive, social input can completely override it. In Mauritania, for example, the Moorish population considers women to be more attractive if they are fat. The fatter, the better. This is because their culture takes girth to be a sign of wealth, even know this attraction runs counter to the necessity of finding a healthy partner.

So if you find a particular type of person attractive, and no one around you seems to agree, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your judgement. It just means that at some point in your past you were given reason to find that aspect of humanity to be attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    The thing is the girls i posted are much more exotic looking than the girls he posted and nearly everyone i know agree with me and think that they are absolutely stunning. The girls he posted look like the girl-next-door-just pretty, but nothing special IMO (don't shoot me). That's why I said that maybe he doesn't like the 'Indian' look (even though Adriana Lima isn't Indian).

Besides every time someone says Rihanna is a good-looking 'black 'girl people immediately attack it and say that she is half-white and that her features are white (which i don't agree with).

Also lots of people do find almond eyes really exotic and pretty, which might have been just my experience though. I mean Aishwarya was miss world, which is solely* based on looks and she was announced as the winner or something out of all the miss-worlds- sadly i can't find that article any more. I mean by saying that Kate Beckinsale/Rihanna is prettier than Aishwarya is like saying Cheryl Cole is prettier than Jessica Alba-i simply don't understand it, that's all. Forgive me for my ignorance.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.