Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so here is the story...
    I'm currently learning to drive and have my test booked for June. I'm insured on my mums car and went out with my dad this afternoon for the 4th or 5th time. We were waiting to turn right at a mini roundabout, the car ahead of me, at the front of the queue started to move forward, so i slowly creep forward, take a quick glance to the right and all of a sudden i hear my dad yell BRAKE!! which I do to realise I've tapped the back of the car ahead of me. Idiot. Totally my fault. Anyway, we both pulled up and apart from a tiny speck both cars were luckily fine. If my dad hadn't been there I'd imagine it could've been a different situation right now.
    Anyway, as we set back off again my dad explained to me it's quite a common thing to do and a good learning experience (I think he only said the last part due to the fact the cars were both alright!). To be honest though all I can think of is how stupid I was. I feel like such a prick now, and it's really knocked my confidence behind the wheel for six. It just showed to me how easy it is to make a silly error. I mean if I'd already passed and been on my own, that car would probably be quite damaged now and I'd be looking at insurances rocketing, extra costs etc etc.
    I don't really know why I've made this post, I guess it's just to outlet my error anonymously and to see what other people have to say about it. Is it really a 'common mistake' or was my dad just being too nice?

ReputationRep:
    Learn from it and just count myself lucky i remember on a lesson I indicated too early and a car pulled out thinking I was turning had to slam on my brakes didn't make that mistake again xx

ReputationRep:
    Easy done

ReputationRep:
    i've always had to put my concentration face on when at busy roundabouts. its very easy to pay too much attention to your right when there is person ahead of you. they may not go when you think they could, and you instinctively are ready to pull off and they havent moved - if your not on the ball i can see how people can make that mistake when frequently glancing to the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefg123)
    Ok so here is the story...
    I'm currently learning to drive and have my test booked for June. I'm insured on my mums car and went out with my dad this afternoon for the 4th or 5th time. We were waiting to turn right at a mini roundabout, the car ahead of me, at the front of the queue started to move forward, so i slowly creep forward, take a quick glance to the right and all of a sudden i hear my dad yell BRAKE!! which I do to realise I've tapped the back of the car ahead of me. Idiot. Totally my fault. Anyway, we both pulled up and apart from a tiny speck both cars were luckily fine. If my dad hadn't been there I'd imagine it could've been a different situation right now.
    Anyway, as we set back off again my dad explained to me it's quite a common thing to do and a good learning experience (I think he only said the last part due to the fact the cars were both alright!). To be honest though all I can think of is how stupid I was. I feel like such a prick now, and it's really knocked my confidence behind the wheel for six. It just showed to me how easy it is to make a silly error. I mean if I'd already passed and been on my own, that car would probably be quite damaged now and I'd be looking at insurances rocketing, extra costs etc etc.
    I don't really know why I've made this post, I guess it's just to outlet my error anonymously and to see what other people have to say about it. Is it really a 'common mistake' or was my dad just being too nice?
    Easy mistake. I've done it myself. Car parks is another place you have to be wary of cars stopping. I nearly had my car hit another car last week in a car park.

This is what I do when I'm on major roundabouts. If you want to look to the right and there is a car in front of you just have a very quick glance to the right but concentrate on the car in front mostly. I was taught the "look to the right, look forward, look to the right, look forward...". It's just trying to get the balance looking at both things.

All drivers make mistakes, whether you're a learner, have just passed or have been driving for years. I've been driving for a while on my own and have made a fair few mistakes, instead of thinking into these mistakes too much just remember what you could do in future to prevent the same situation from escalating. As mentioned in another topic, being a good driver is from looking back at your mistakes and learning from them.

Learn from it. I wouldn't agree with your dad though.

my dad explained to me it's quite a common thing to do

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do with your confidence, is to not take a break from it, get straight back driving, go straight back to the roundabout again and prove to yourself you can do it safely.

ReputationRep:
    It does knock your confidence but at least for your first hit you had a passenger and it was only very small...

My first crash resulted in my car being written off. Ha.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about what could have happened or what situation you could be in now, just look at it as a learning curve. You know now how easy it can be to have a bump. I wish I had an incident like that to teach me. I passed my test in october and I had a car accident about 3 weeks ago and wrote my car off. A car was turning right ahead of me and I was distracted for a split second and when straight into the back of him, entirely my fault. My mum used to tell me all the time how easy car accidents are but you don't really acknowledge it until you've been in that situation.
    Now i go by the rule of CAT - Concentration, Awareness, Tolerance. If one of those are missing anything could happen.
    It really helps me now and I'm back on the road with a new car. It knocked my confidence and I was an emotional wreck for about a week although I had no physical damage, I was lucky I had such a strong car or it could have been a lot worse.

Look at it as a learning curve, these things happen and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been. Now you know how easy it is, you can move on and get back into the swing of things. It will be a knock of confidence but the sooner you're back on the road proving to yourself you can do it, the better you'll be. Your dad's right, it's extremely common to do it, you've just got to give yourself a running commentary in your head all the time. It's so easy to get distracted for a split second, but that's all it takes. As I said, now you know, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck with your test!

ReputationRep:
    Don't dwell on it too much, its happened to everyone. Everyone makes mistakes - maybe even more so after the test! Its part and parcel of becoming a better driver. I like to think of a "tick box" in my mind. Whenever I realise I've done a mistake, whether it be minor or not, a "tick" goes in that box and now I'll be aware of a similar situation in the future.

ReputationRep:
    As previously said, don't dwell on it too much... one good thing to come from it is that you will watch out for this more from now one and won't repeat the mistake!! Good luck with your driving!

ReputationRep:
    It's regrettably all too common, but take some comfort from the fact it wasn't a major fender bender. Here's hoping the driver in front doesn't play the whiplash card.

The lesson learned here is to look ahead like a hawk while you have a car in front. Keep a good car length between you and don't take your eyes of his number plate until he's at least a full car length onto the roundabout. Only then, should you glance to the right to make your decision. You wouldn't have progressed any quicker by looking right earlier due to him holding you up anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was in a car with my mate, who did exactly the same thing, we were behind a car waiting to pull out, the road was completely clear, but apparently the car in front didn't like clear roads so he moved a few yards then slammed on the brakes as if he had seen an imaginary car :rolleyes: Anyway my mate just assumed he was going and hammered his foot down whilst looking right, and went straight into the back of him. You gotta look right - then ahead - then right again. Assume that other people are idiots, because they normally are.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry, everyone will whack another car (or a wall, in my case) at some point in their driving life.
    Better to get it out of the way with early, I say

ReputationRep:
    That does sound quite an easy thing to do, I've always been conscious of it. Sometimes you start creeping after a car and they suddenly slam brakes on so half the time I don't even look til they've pulled off unless its massively busy and even then sometimes people pull onto a roundabout real quick then slow down in front of you.

When I read the first couple lines of your post I realised what you were getting at so its obviously crossed my mind quite a lot! I wouldn't worry, I think most people make some sort of boo boo when learning or just having passed

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.