Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The EU have released this new rule about women now having to be equal to men in terms of car insurance.

Surely there is now a case for age discrimination?

The justification for women having cheaper car insurance was statistics.
    The justification for older drivers having cheaper car insurance is statistics.
    What's the difference?

ReputationRep:
    So let's remove all reasoning for making those whom deserve to pay higher premiums, thus loading up the premiums of those that don't. Statistics are like theoretical physics, they can be used to prove or disprove anything you want. The fact is, young drivers cause and are involved in more accidents, young male drivers even more so. As age, experience and wisdom kick in, the accident rates drop. Why should perfectly safe drivers in their mid-later life pay higher premiums so that young knobs can razz around slamming into everything in Britain and yet pay the same for their insurance, when it can be proven that they are a greater liability ? Personally, I think the EU was wrong as they didn't discriminate against men because they were men, but because they habitually and incessantly have proven over decades to be less safe and cautious, and the fact is justifiable. Only if it was unjustified would it be discriminatory in my eyes !

Yeah, let's make everyones premiums equally extortionate regardless of whether or not they're a proven safe driver. That's a brilliant idea...

... Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    This is the difference between sex and age dsicrimination: with age it doesn't matter, as much, since we all go through all ages.

ReputationRep:
    Female drivers should be paying more in insurance, ****ing nutters, nothing more frustrating than sittin in the passanger seat of a chick driver.

ReputationRep:
    Does increased old age have any bearing on insurance premiums? It should start to get more expensive again with every year over 60, really. Old folks on the road can be lethal!

ReputationRep:
    the only reason woman had lower statistics was because they don't drive trucks everyone knows statistically trucks are in more accidents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walter Ego)
    The fact is, young drivers cause and are involved in more accidents, young male drivers even more so. As age, experience and wisdom kick in, the accident rates drop. Why should perfectly safe drivers in their mid-later life pay higher premiums so that young knobs can razz around slamming into everything in Britain and yet pay the same for their insurance, when it can be proven that they are a greater liability ?
    True but at the same time, is it fair to charge young driver's such an amount? It was on the local news a few weeks ago that a guy had just passed his driving test and his insurance was meant to be around £30,000 :lolwut:

(Couldn't find the link I wanted so will have to settle with this one )

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-32-000.html

ReputationRep:
    Nyah, I'm not against women paying less, I am against companies marketing themselve purely to women and not offering their services to men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Yeah, let's make everyones premiums equally extortionate regardless of whether or not they're a proven safe driver. That's a brilliant idea...

... Idiot.
    The OP is saying that to be discriminate on the same basis is inconsistent.
    Why are you calling them an idiot?

Moreover, one could equally claim that basing insurance on gender, height, having a big ****, how old you are, says nothing about someone being proven a safer driver. On the other hand not crashing for a longer period of time may be more likely to hint towards that, with the chances of an unsafe driver, unless they're off the road, increasing in terms of them being in an accident.

I'm not saying the argument ought to be used, but there is certainly a counter argument that you're not addressing.

ReputationRep:
    age discrimination should be included aswell then, i understand that some young drivers are imature but that doesnt mean everyone thats just got there liscence are gna lower there car, put some halfords speakers in and attempt to make it look good =/ the systems pretty flawed, yeh sexual discrimination should be included, another thing is that when girls are at the premenstral stage they have a higher chances of being aggressive which is backed up by a study if u dnt believe me, so why dont women have to pay extra 7 days a month =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    age discrimination should be included aswell then, i understand that some young drivers are imature but that doesnt mean everyone thats just got there liscence are gna lower there car, put some halfords speakers in and attempt to make it look good =/ the systems pretty flawed, yeh sexual discrimination should be included, another thing is that when girls are at the premenstral stage they have a higher chances of being aggressive which is backed up by a study if u dnt believe me, so why dont women have to pay extra 7 days a month =/
    I disagree that any of it should be included, but I think there's certainly another argument for inconsistency there; "unless you sign this saying that you will not be driving whilst you're PMSing, you will have to pay an extra X amount per year". I think more than anything it highlights the ludicrous generalisations that are being made.
    Being an 18 year old male who drives =/= being a boy racer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Nyah, I'm not against women paying less, I am against companies marketing themselve purely to women and not offering their services to men.
    what's the difference. companies who don't want business from a certain demographic, be that age, accommodation type, sex simply price unwanted business out. EG above when a young man got a quote of several thousand pounds. Girl only insurance if it didn't exist would simply price men to buggery. There are age based companies that only take over 50's, and there are some, swift cover for example, that are over 25's iirc..

The statistics of male female are very skewed as they ignore other coincidental factors (I seem to remember it being women around 50 were the lowest category, as an example, this could get transferred to 'women are safer'.

I guess the issue comes in that you are born either a man or a woman as said before. otherwise, where do we draw the line. is it ok to charge a chinese person more than an enlishman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omarion526)
    what's the difference. companies who don't want business from a certain demographic, be that age, accommodation type, sex simply price unwanted business out. EG above when a young man got a quote of several thousand pounds. Girl only insurance if it didn't exist would simply price men to buggery. There are age based companies that only take over 50's, and there are some, swift cover for example, that are over 25's iirc..

The statistics of male female are very skewed as they ignore other coincidental factors (I seem to remember it being women around 50 were the lowest category, as an example, this could get transferred to 'women are safer'.

I guess the issue comes in that you are born either a man or a woman as said before. otherwise, where do we draw the line. is it ok to charge a chinese person more than an enlishman?
    Don't make me De Beauvoir/Butler yo ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I disagree that any of it should be included, but I think there's certainly another argument for inconsistency there; "unless you sign this saying that you will not be driving whilst you're PMSing, you will have to pay an extra X amount per year". I think more than anything it highlights the ludicrous generalisations that are being made.
    Being an 18 year old male who drives =/= being a boy racer.
    lol yeh, i dno but sometimes when i think about it alot of laws are still very bias in general, so yeh the insurance should possibly just be estimated depending on age and amount of years driving it would make sense as it does now since more expierience does help, and then who ever crashes should have to pay more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Don't make me De Beauvoir your Butler.

awww yea :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omarion526)

But as someone else pointed out, age is something we all go through. Sex and race isn't. I'm not bothered about age because hopefully one day, I'll reach 50. Without changing my sex, I'll never be female. Companies should offer products to both sexes. Doesn't have to be the same product, or at the same price, but they should still do it.

ReputationRep:
    Age is different to sex in terms of descrimination for insurance premiums.

With age comes experience (in theory, not always in practice) just like why a more experienced person is likely to be paid more for a job where a less experienced person is paid less

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. In two minds over things such as these.

Personally I think insurance premiums should be based on how long you've been driving, what you're driving, what kind of pass you have and so on.

I agree that statistics really should have a place in the world. But it annmoys me when I was on the recieving end of such discrimination when in other areas statistics are brushed under the rug for the sake of Political Correctness. Such as women in the workplace, women in medicine, ethnic minorities in crime and so on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trojan10_om)
    Age is different to sex in terms of descrimination for insurance premiums.

With age comes experience (in theory, not always in practice) just like why a more experienced person is likely to be paid more for a job where a less experienced person is paid less
    Not always in practice, so you defeated that argument before making it.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.