Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To Cat, or not to Cat? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've wanted a cat or dog since I was little, but couldn't get one due to my mother's allergies and such (though she isn't 100% sure she's allergic to cats now :confused: I don't understand her either...). So only recently (I'm 16 now), I found there are 'hypoallergenic cats' called Siberian cats which caught my eye. Though my dad isn't keen on getting a cat...

So I told my mother and she seems quite keen now, after some pestering... In fact, she's the one that's mainly been contacting breeders and looking for kittens!
    She's suggested that when I go to university, she'd look after the cat until I finished but my future's so very unclear... Not aided by my anxiety issues: I'm very indecisive and tend to think negatively also.

But something confusing has been happening: everytime I think about getting a kitten now, I get depressed and feel sick. Though, this might be related to my social/generalised anxiety which is prominent.
    I don't know if it's because I'm afraid I won't be a good enough owner for the cat, that it will interfere with my future career hopes (I'm ambitious) and thus I'd have to give it up: which would be cruel seeing as I bought it in the first place and made a commitment.
    I don't know if I'm overexaggerating the impact a cat would have on my lifestyle or not...

I've had a budgie and a hamster before as pets. I don't like to admit it but I suppose they bored me, like, I just kind of wanted to sit and cuddle with them but they were always on the move obviously... I don't know if that's what frustrated me about them or if it was a 'novelty' that wore off. This is what concerns me. I don't want a kitten to be a novelty, because I'd be disgusted with myself if that occured: as I am ashamed to admit even with my previous pets. Don't get me wrong, I still cared for them and they lived a happy, long life but I just felt they were more chores than anything else Again, I don't like saying that.

I'm so confused. Advise me.

Edit:

Also, a few days ago I went to a friends' to see his 2 new kittens (they were moggies) and loved playing with them and stroking them. He had to go out so I offered to kitten-sit for him (they had to have a meal while he was gone) so I did so and played with them constantly. I was very happy.

ReputationRep:
    Ask Schrodinger

ReputationRep:
    TLDR

get a cat.

also get a swingy toy and a radiator bed. they love them. i love mah cat

ReputationRep:
    Such a ridiculously long post about getting a cat.

Just buy a stuffed one.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get a cat! Get a Siamese one as their meow's are really cute :emog:

ReputationRep:
    cat.

ReputationRep:
    CAT! do it, now! you're only feeling apprehensive because something that was for so long a dream has now become reality. Cats are really rewarding animals and even if they deadeye you if they're not fed on time, they'll snuggle up to you later on when they want a toasty bed
    I'm doing the same thing with one of our cats, the other is more a family cat, but I pay for this one and it's mine. I doubt it would ever stop you achieving anything, since cats are pretty happy to be left alone, and they stay playful if you stay playful too!

My cats are in an album somewhere on here, cos I used their image for something. Honestly, just cat away

ReputationRep:
    Get a cat, they're such lovely animals, I've had mine for nearly a year and I can't imagine living without her now, plus they're brilliant for their comic value, they have such distinct personalities. My cat is always up to mischief, she goes hyper and darts about the house in a playful mood and hangs upside down on the stairs by hanging on with her claws. Other times she climbs on me when I'm asleep, this morning I was sleeping on my side and she was just chilling out on my shouder and sniffing my face every once in a while.

They're brilliant pets, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Get a cat

One thing though - please, please try cat rescues such as the Cat's Protection - they always have squillions of unwanted kittens which need homes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Get a cat, but wait until you have your own house.

I can't wait to move out of this flat and get my own home so I can get a kitty of my very own to love and care for. It won't get in the way of my career either - as long as you feed them, give them a roof over their head and lots of cuddles, cats won't worry, they're very independent.

ReputationRep:
    Get a cat, they're nice.

ReputationRep:
    Get a cat! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    Get a cat

One thing though - please, please try cat rescues such as the Cat's Protection - they always have squillions of unwanted kittens which need homes.
    I don't think that's possible because Siberian cats are apparently very rare in rescue centres..

Also, I swear my mum is underestimating getting a cat and the room it will need. She seems to think we could just keep it in our kitchen I know that's not correct, especially as if we got one it would be an indoor cat. Those who have indoor cats, how much space/rooms do you allow your cat into?
    I'm also thinking I may get a lead or harness for the cat if I get one, so it can explore the backgarden a bit. I wouldn't take it for walks around my town, just the backgarden anyone have any experiences associated with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelySoul193)
    I don't think that's possible because Siberian cats are apparently very rare in rescue centres..

Also, I swear my mum is underestimating getting a cat and the room it will need. She seems to think we could just keep it in our kitchen I know that's not correct, especially as if we got one it would be an indoor cat. Those who have indoor cats, how much space/rooms do you allow your cat into?
    I'm also thinking I may get a lead or harness for the cat if I get one, so it can explore the backgarden a bit. I wouldn't take it for walks around my town, just the backgarden anyone have any experiences associated with this?

It's still very much worth a try - don't totally discount rescues.

I may be wrong here, but I believe the Cornish and Devon Rex breeds are also better for people with allergies? Just an idea that may expand your possibilities. They might be a bit unusual looking for you, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelySoul193)

I think your apprehension about getting a cat sounds a bit similar to mine, before I got my cat. I don't particularly like change and I was worried about the affect it would have on my life and whether I'd be able to look after it/get bored of it etc.

However I've now had my cat (which was originally my partner's idea, even though I love animals!) about 2 years and I don't think I could be without her. She has her bad points, like spraying on walls etc for various reasons but it's things we've learnt to deal with and help her through. It's lovely to have something there to greet you when you get home and come for snuggles with on the sofa at night.

My cat is also an indoor cat and has been all her life. I live in a 2 bedroom flat and she has the run of lounge/kitchen, hall and one bedroom during the day when I'm not here. If I'm here then she's allowed in the 2nd bedroom too (it's where our hamsters are and I don't want any unfortunate deaths when she's not supervised!). At night she's shut in our lounge/kitchen. It doesn't sound much space but it's all she's used to, and she's very suspicious of anyone or anything new. We're hoping to move to a proper house soon and then she'd have the run of the whole place, and hopefully back garden too.

I do have a lead for her and I use it occasionally although like I've said she doesn't seem to particularly take to the outdoors and any sudden/odd noise sends her running back indoors! I can completely see why people think it's cruel to keep cats indoors but its much safer for them and as long as they have been brought up as indoor cats and are happy then I don't see why not. I wouldn't want to keep a cat indoors who's been used to going outside though!

Sorry for rambling but I hope that's helped

ReputationRep:
    Get a dog they are much more fun you can also get hypoallergenic dogs such as shih tzus but there are loads of dogs out there which are hypoallergenic. Talking from experience of working with cats, dogs are much better and more entertaining. Dogs are much more loyal as well, whereas cats often just wander off most days and often start living with someone else. Unless you keep your cat inside then it won't do that.

ReputationRep:
    Cat!

ReputationRep:
    Have you catted yet?

ReputationRep:
    If not, cat now.

ReputationRep:
    ...Are you catting?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.