Turn on thread page Beta

To Cat, or not to Cat? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillipies)
    I think your apprehension about getting a cat sounds a bit similar to mine, before I got my cat. I don't particularly like change and I was worried about the affect it would have on my life and whether I'd be able to look after it/get bored of it etc.

However I've now had my cat (which was originally my partner's idea, even though I love animals!) about 2 years and I don't think I could be without her. She has her bad points, like spraying on walls etc for various reasons but it's things we've learnt to deal with and help her through. It's lovely to have something there to greet you when you get home and come for snuggles with on the sofa at night.

My cat is also an indoor cat and has been all her life. I live in a 2 bedroom flat and she has the run of lounge/kitchen, hall and one bedroom during the day when I'm not here. If I'm here then she's allowed in the 2nd bedroom too (it's where our hamsters are and I don't want any unfortunate deaths when she's not supervised!). At night she's shut in our lounge/kitchen. It doesn't sound much space but it's all she's used to, and she's very suspicious of anyone or anything new. We're hoping to move to a proper house soon and then she'd have the run of the whole place, and hopefully back garden too.

I do have a lead for her and I use it occasionally although like I've said she doesn't seem to particularly take to the outdoors and any sudden/odd noise sends her running back indoors! I can completely see why people think it's cruel to keep cats indoors but its much safer for them and as long as they have been brought up as indoor cats and are happy then I don't see why not. I wouldn't want to keep a cat indoors who's been used to going outside though!

Sorry for rambling but I hope that's helped
    I muchly appreciate the 'rambling', it was helpful thank you.

Hmmm... is your cat un-neutered or is spraying quite common behaviour in female neutered cats?
    Yeah I'm not 100% sure in terms of space really. I'm hoping that the cat would mostly reside in the kitchen (though we wouldn't allow her up on the countertops or table, any suggestions on preventing this? I've heard of putting tin foil on the surfaces...). But I'm hoping to let her into the hall, one of the living rooms (we have another smaller one, so I'm hoping for the larger one) and hopefully into my bedroom and maybe my brother's too. I'm not sure if that's enough space though.

Also, do you leave your cat in the house alone often? My family all either work or attend school so the cat would probably have to be left around 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I've heard of a couple of methods to keep them amused while you're away, such as hanging a ball/toy from some string.

Especially seeing as it's a pedigree cat ie. rather expensive, I think we'd definitely be keeping her indoors. Plus I don't like the risks of her wandering and the increased likelihood of diseases etc.
    Ideally I'd be hoping to get her used to the lead/harness as early as possible so she could get some more exercise outside in the garden (it isn't very big) and in the summer, sit out with us on an extendable lead or whatnot. I'd be looking at trying to take her out on the lead in the garden most days.

ReputationRep:
    try volunteering at your SPCA as a foster parent. I did, and i got to foster a kitten for a month. Made me realise how difficult it is to look after one
    try adopting a cat if you really want one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelySoul193)
    I muchly appreciate the 'rambling', it was helpful thank you.

Hmmm... is your cat un-neutered or is spraying quite common behaviour in female neutered cats?
    Yeah I'm not 100% sure in terms of space really. I'm hoping that the cat would mostly reside in the kitchen (though we wouldn't allow her up on the countertops or table, any suggestions on preventing this? I've heard of putting tin foil on the surfaces...). But I'm hoping to let her into the hall, one of the living rooms (we have another smaller one, so I'm hoping for the larger one) and hopefully into my bedroom and maybe my brother's too. I'm not sure if that's enough space though.

Also, do you leave your cat in the house alone often? My family all either work or attend school so the cat would probably have to be left around 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I've heard of a couple of methods to keep them amused while you're away, such as hanging a ball/toy from some string.

Especially seeing as it's a pedigree cat ie. rather expensive, I think we'd definitely be keeping her indoors. Plus I don't like the risks of her wandering and the increased likelihood of diseases etc.
    Ideally I'd be hoping to get her used to the lead/harness as early as possible so she could get some more exercise outside in the garden (it isn't very big) and in the summer, sit out with us on an extendable lead or whatnot. I'd be looking at trying to take her out on the lead in the garden most days.
    Wow lots of questions, give me a nudge if I miss anything!

My cat is neutered but she is just a very sensitive and nervous cat. She did have cystitis for a while (which can be a cause of spraying) but we treated that and have managed (touch wood) to stop the other spraying which she was doing at night (we figured it might be like separation anxiety etc) by giving her a really obvious bedtime routine and making sure we leave her when everyone is calm rather than rushing out the door to stop her escaping! It's treating her like a little kid but it seems to be working, she knows exactly where she goes to bed, what happens and that we'll be coming back in the morning! If you go back in the lounge a while later she's all curled up in her bed fast asleep

As for the kitchen thing, we had that problem for a while but a couple of sprays of water and she very rarely does it now (only if she sees a fly or something she wants to chase up there!). I was told the key to punishment is that it shouldn't come directly from you (ie shouting etc) as the cat will associate this with you and won't trust you. Something like a water spray is good because the nastiness comes from the bottle and not you (cats aren't clever enough to work out it's still you!!). We have tried the foil thing for spraying but I don't think my cat's too bothered by it so it didn't work very well!

I'm at uni at the moment so it's rare my cat is left all day but when I was on placement last year she was left from 7.30am-6pm every weekday. We leave her plenty of toys out and climbing/hiding places etc but she likes sitting on the windowsill watching the world go by and sun bathing so that probably takes up most of her day! We leave her sometimes overnight (we have an automatic feeder) but if it's more than that we pay someone to come round and look after her while we're gone.

Hope that answers the questions

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.