Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This sounds really stupid, but I have a habit of embarrassing myself in everyday situations so figured that being a fool on an anonymous internet forum is better than being a fool in person.

I have decided to purchase a gift card for a friend's upcoming birthday. However, I've never bought a gift card before. Sounds ridiculous, but what do you actually do when buying a gift card?

ReputationRep:
    Say to the person at the till "hello, could I please purchase a giftcard?"

You hand over one of the blank gift cards (should have them at the counter - if not, don't be scared of asking :ninja:), tell them how much you want to put on it and you then pay for it just like anything else in the shop. They top up the card with the requisite amount and give you a receipt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    You hand over one of the blank gift cards (should have them at the counter - if not, don't be scared of asking :ninja:), tell them how much you want to put on it and you then pay for it just like anything else in the shop. They top up the card with the requisite amount and give you a receipt
    Probably didn't need to be told that.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Still working away...

ReputationRep:
    And don't forget, 9 times out of 10 gift cards are NON-REFUNDABLE! As they are cash alternative, many retailers will not let you change your mind and opt for a refund once the money has entered the business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebbytotherescue)
    And don't forget, 9 times out of 10 gift cards are NON-REFUNDABLE! As they are cash alternative, many retailers will not let you change your mind and opt for a refund once the money has entered the business.
    That's fine, don't need a refund - if she can't find a use for it, I'll give her the money and use it myself. I imagine someone with their first camera will get some use out of a £30 gift card for Jessops, though...

(Original post by TheSownRose)
    Probably didn't need to be told that.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Still working away...
    The idea is that you get the receipt with the card so that the recipient knows how much they have to spend

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm massively busy today as it turns out, but I will definitely reply to your PM at some point before tomorrow. I haven't forgotten about you :console:

ReputationRep:
    Brah, gimme sum money on dis card ting. Respect.

...might possibly work but would also destroy any sane humans respect for you. Alternatively you could just pick out one of the card designs and ask whoever's at the counter to put whatever amount of money on it (paying them of course).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.