Turn on thread page Beta

Is being considered 'weird' a good thing? watch

I know that everyone thinks that they are a bit odd, but a surprising amount of people seem to call me weird...one of the things that stuck in my mind was after speaking to a girl for just a few minutes, you said 'You're SO weird', I mean, she laughed, but I didn't know what to make of it...

I've been compared to Dory from Finding Nemo, Phoebe from Friends, Elliot from Scrubs. I'm typically ditzy, girly, day dreamer, a bit abstract...

It's just something that keeps cropping up. Thing is, I'm wondering whether this might be why I seem to struggle with boys...I'm not bad looking, and I have had interest, but I feel like as soon as they get to know me...no interest...

A friend of a guy that I started seeing (but no longer am) at the beginning of the year said that 'I was different' from other girls he'd dated...but I never found out whether this 'different' was good or bad. Maybe it was the reason he broke it off with me?

Recently I've just split from another guy who I really liked, but he gave no real reason, and I can't ask him for it now, but we had started getting to know each other more...

I just worry that it's my personality, not my looks, that are putting guys off. Is weird good?

ReputationRep:
    On TSR, yes. In the real world, it depends on what makes you weird.

ReputationRep:
    Having a lot of 'cute idiosyncracies' (direct quote about me ) - Good weird.
    Keeping your toenails in a jar - Bad weird.

As long as you're not a crazy cat woman in training I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on the context.

"You're one weird ass person, you know that?"

Bad.

"You're weird, I like that! :yep: "

Good.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how you're weird. Saying random things or coming up with obscure little daydreams is cute-weird.

Having sex with animals/inaminate objects is bad weird.

ReputationRep:
    Different might be good.
    Weird is bad.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what kind of unusual you are, can you describe your personality a little more? I tend to be very understanding of people who are really quite different but unfortunately not everyone is.

ReputationRep:
    when we're younger, being part of the pack is of utmost importance to us. but as we get older,

being that slightest bit quirky and weird is what will help us life life better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know that everyone thinks that they are a bit odd, but a surprising amount of people seem to call me weird...one of the things that stuck in my mind was after speaking to a girl for just a few minutes, you said 'You're SO weird', I mean, she laughed, but I didn't know what to make of it...

I've been compared to Dory from Finding Nemo, Phoebe from Friends, Elliot from Scrubs. I'm typically ditzy, girly, day dreamer, a bit abstract...

It's just something that keeps cropping up. Thing is, I'm wondering whether this might be why I seem to struggle with boys...I'm not bad looking, and I have had interest, but I feel like as soon as they get to know me...no interest...

A friend of a guy that I started seeing (but no longer am) at the beginning of the year said that 'I was different' from other girls he'd dated...but I never found out whether this 'different' was good or bad. Maybe it was the reason he broke it off with me?

Recently I've just split from another guy who I really liked, but he gave no real reason, and I can't ask him for it now, but we had started getting to know each other more...

I just worry that it's my personality, not my looks, that are putting guys off. Is weird good?

Look, even if you are, what are you going to do? Change? Very bad idea! You'll find somebody just right for you, don't worry, be yourself ( whilst not breaking laws) and you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if it's good weird.

No, if it's bad weird.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly Op, everyone is "unique"

I was considored "weird" at school to the extent that a gang of about 20 used to bully me for it, now i'm at uni and have met the most amazing guy in the entire world

I'm sure your a great girl, and guys just can't see it, i found at school they wanted the girls that were forward and "exciting" not daydreamers etc. I'm sure you'll be fine and will meet a lovely guy one day.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on who you ask.

Personally I find the whole 'cute-weird' thing very annoying. Mostly beause people generally put it on to try and get attention.

ReputationRep:
    I was always an 'odd' one at school- not weird, just had a different take on things. I don't know whether it put guys off or not but I never found anyone to complement me anyway so it didn't bother me that I never had a boyfriend. I was the same when I started uni and after a while found a wonderful guy who I'm still with two and a half years later. I think I've become at bit more 'normal' since then but I never made a conscious decision to tone myself down in order to attract more guys. And neither should you! You'll find a guy who likes you as you are and if he doesn't it'll make you unhappy over time. Chin up, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the term "original"

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's a good thing, my mates think i'm weird and i got called elliot from scrubs too :smug:

weird people ftw :king1:

ReputationRep:
    Weird=Different=Good.

ReputationRep:
    Lol i no how you feel everyone calls me weird but i dont mind i stand out and my teachers like me because im weird i guess lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Depends on who you ask.

Personally I find the whole 'cute-weird' thing very annoying. Mostly beause people generally put it on to try and get attention.
    But what about naturally weird people?

You don't have to remember which day it is, that's what friends are there for.

ReputationRep:
    There are good types of weird and bad types of weird. If you're able to function socially, you're probably one of the good types.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie-v)
    But what about naturally weird people?

You don't have to remember which day it is, that's what friends are there for.
    They're fine, although I do know from personal experience that a lot of 'weird' people are attention seeking. Obviously not all, but still quite a few people nontheless.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.