Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pass Plus!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I did pass plus before I bought my first car. It's really good for getting your confidence up on motorways.

ReputationRep:
    Its totally worth it, my driver instructor just took me on a couple of motorways (she made a good point- you cover a lot of the rest (ie driving in different weather conditions) when your actually learning to drive)

Cost me £150, but can save (I THINK) about 30% on your car insurance, only with select companies though- and they tend to be the ones on the expensive end.

I'm not 100% sure as my mum gets discounted insurance through her old job, and so i'm covered with that- but they do not offer Pass plus discount.

ReputationRep:
    Someone told me about pass plus and what they did.
    Except for motorway driving I did all that in my standard lessons anyway, my instructor chucks people on country lanes and dual carriageways very early on, and makes sure theres some lessons at night/ in the pissing rain.

And motorway driving is the easiest thing in the world. I got on the motorway the day I passed and thought "So, it's basically like a big dual carriageway but straighter, whats all the fuss?"

I don't undertstand it myself, doesn't lower my insurance by any significant amount.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a driving instructor. Pass Plus used to get almost 50 % off the premium at Norwich Union (Aviva). I had a pupil who was quoted £3000 for an Alfa 154, but if he did Pass Plus, it was just £1500, so of course, he did it.
    Insurance is a numbers game and statistics showed that drivers who had done Pass Plus had fewer accidents = claims. However, because only a minority bothered, insureres decided it was more cost effective to greatly increase premiums for all young drivers, so that there was more money in the pot to pay out claims. Is it still worth it? Yes, in my opinion because it will give you more confidence and keep you safer. It might also help you to avoid damaging your own car, which costs you money. Pass Plus is 6 modules. Introduction and town driving / Rural roads / Dual carriageways / Motorways / Night driving / Driving in adverse weather conditions. One module can be done as theory. Supposed to be a minimum 6 hours duration (doesn't have to be done all at once) but in reality, many instructors will do it in maybe four hours, but they put 6 on the form so that you get your certificate. If you can afford it, do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ophqui)
    yeah my instructor told me after i passed not to bother, and that it didnt save you money on your insurance any more really. Best thing is just to have an experienced driver with you first time you do a motorway at night or whatever
    my instructor told me the same thing! We more or less covered night driving/dual carriageways/adverse weather conditions during pre test lessons so once i get a car (realistic insurance figure) i'll be taking my dad with me to tackle the motorway! Which ofc wont cost me anything

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how much PP costs these days but as the insurers do not now give discounts for it then perhaps one of the advanced driving organisations might be a better bet if the intention is to improve the standard of driving

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/11636804

Pass Plus

Around half the 1.5 million people who take the driving test each year are teenagers, with young male drivers achieving the best first time pass rates.

A male aged 17 to 20 is 10 times more likely to have a serious crash than one over 35, according to insurance industry data.

Pass Plus was drawn up by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) to try to reduce both accidents and high insurance bills paid by new drivers.

The organisation's own website still lists 13 mainstream insurance companies that it says offer benefits to drivers who take it.

But tests for Newsbeat showed only four of the 13 could now offer a reduced premium.

Some of the biggest names on the list, including Provident and Tesco Finance have completely scrapped their offers.

Others still give a reduced 5% discount but an alternative 15% off if you pay over the internet instead.

"We've recently looked at data from nearly 5,000 claims involving young people with Pass Plus," said a spokesman for Admiral.

"Their accident rate is identical to those who haven't sat Pass Plus; for both groups it is around 27%."

The DSA said it is now 'considering the options' for post test training.

A spokesman for the organisation said: "Pass Plus gives new drivers additional experience to help them drive safely in a variety of driving conditions.

"Drivers tell us that it improves their skills and confidence on the roads."

What is Pass Plus?
    Six-hour course
    Covers areas like motorway and rural driving and bad weather conditions
    Taken by one in 10 who pass a standard driving test
    Costs between £80 and £150 depending on the instructor
    Some local authorities offer a subsidy
    No exam, but students must show a 'satisfactory standard' in each area
    But the skills they learn are not necessarily making them safe on the roads.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.