Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Gap gear adventures watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on doing medicine, but I understand that it is very difficult to get into and I no one can garuntee themselves a place, however good their grades are. So being the pessimistic b****** that I am, I have already started planning for my gap year if I don't get in the first time round.

Has Anyone here gone abroad on their gap year and found a job there? I will definitely go abroad for my gap year, since I can't stand living in the depressing city I'm in right now. If I get a job in a coffee shop or somewhere, could I fund myself for the whole year? I want to have awesome crazy times, but make the money required to fund my adventures while I'm there.

Tell me about your gap year adventures and how you got the money to pay for your fun times abroad.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on where you are going. You can get a pretty good salary teaching English in Japan, and get a pretty poor salary picking fruit in Australia. In addition if you want to adventure in Oceania rather than SE Asia, it will probably cost you double, so I highly recommend Asia as it is cheaper, has a greater culture and is much more of an adventure than somewhere that speaks English!

ReputationRep:
    one of my friends spent last summer helping in a hospital in nepal. she had a bloody amazing time, soo soo jealous i'm not doing medicine
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Most places abroad in Europe won't hire you unless you speak their language to a mediocre standard - even in the tourist hotspots, you'd have to talk to the staff, do the inventories etc. in the home language. This was something I was considering, but unfortunately not. Even the 'British' or 'Irish' themed bars in Paris, Berlin etc. etc. where 90% of the customer base would be British require you to speak the local's language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    one of my friends spent last summer helping in a hospital in nepal. she had a bloody amazing time, soo soo jealous i'm not doing medicine
    your sig says you are doing engineering right? that's fine for grad-entry med at loads of places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    your sig says you are doing engineering right? that's fine for grad-entry med at loads of places
    yeh grad entry med would cost loads though i'm definitely considering it depending on the grades i graduate with

ReputationRep:
    i dont have a 4th gear in my car

ReputationRep:
    Remember that if you intend to go abroad during your gap whilst applying for medicine, you need to be in the UK during interview season.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.