Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if this is more Cambridge or maths related so please move it if i'm wrong

As you can see in my sig I have an offer for Cambridge of S/1 in either of STEP I and STEP II, and I was wondering what would happen if I missed my offer and got instead a 1 in each paper?

Obviously I would have missed my offer so they would be completely justified in rejecting me, but I know they let in some people who narrowly miss the grade. Would I be considered more favourably than someone who had just missed an offer of 1/1, ie got a 1/2? Especially considering that if I narrowly missed a S/1 offer I would have achieved a higher mark than a large percentage of people who met their 1/1 offer?

EDIT:

Oh, and we can assume I got A1's in all my Advanced Highers (basically a*'s) if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    They can look at your paper and do all sorts of things to make a decision, but at the end of the day you don't want to be leaving it to chance.

ReputationRep:
    Im glad you asked this question!
    I have a similar offer for step 2 and 3. If I got 1,1 instead of S,1 (which seems unlikely after the last paper i did ) what would my chances be like?
    Shouldn't leave it to chance though, your right.

ReputationRep:
    S,1 in I and II, though? Their usual offer is for 1,1 in II and III (I'm guessing you didn't take further maths to A2), so if you got 1,1 in I and II, I'm not sure how that would put you next to someone who got 1,2 in II and III. Depends on the questions that year, I guess.

I do feel bad for people with offers that include an S though :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    S,1 in I and II, though? Their usual offer is for 1,1 in II and III (I'm guessing you didn't take further maths to A2), so if you got 1,1 in I and II, I'm not sure how that would put you next to someone who got 1,2 in II and III. Depends on the questions that year, I guess.

I do feel bad for people with offers that include an S though :no:
    The thing is that I am taking Scottish Qualifications and my Maths and Mechanics courses are equivalent to me taking further maths. :confused: So if it was there choice that made it so I can't see how they could mark me down for it??

And yeah it sucks having an S offer, although it might be worth getting to avoid the stress of an another interview to get my pool offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbou)
    And yeah it sucks having an S offer, although it might be worth getting to avoid the stress of an another interview to get my pool offer
    Why would you have another interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Why would you have another interview?
    Well I was rejected by my first college, so I have probably completely incorrectly assumed you usually get re-interviewed by the college who has fished you from the pool? Sorry if I am wrong

Anyway, I wasn't interviewed by my second college (my application was put into the pool very late into it, its a long story) so I assumed that had something to do with my offer...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbou)
    Well I was rejected by my first college, so I have probably completely incorrectly assumed you usually get re-interviewed by the college who has fished you from the pool? Sorry if I am wrong

Anyway, I wasn't interviewed by my second college (my application was put into the pool very late into it, its a long story) so I assumed that had something to do with my offer...?
    You usually do get re-interviewed. However in your case I doubt it, I don't think S offers from Churchill are uncommon at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.