Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i know this seems stupid but can virgins have an std? i seem to remember telling me they can have like thrush and apparently boys can have thrush too? just asking if anyone can help

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can have a variety of STD's and be a virgin.

Viral STDs such as Hepatitis and HIV can be from sharing needles with an infected person for example. It is also possible to contract herpes from oral sex.
    Thrush is a common condition and it can affect boys and girls who are not sexually active. It is a caused fungal infection called Candida albicans.

Hope that helped...

Could try googling it. Lots of information on STDs available.

(Original post by secret_smile)
    Yes you can have a variety of STD's and be a virgin.

Viral STDs such as Hepatitis and HIV can be from sharing needles with an infected person for example. It is also possible to contract herpes from oral sex.
    Thrush is a common condition and it can affect boys and girls who are not sexually active. It is a caused fungal infection called Candida albicans.

Hope that helped...

Could try googling it. Lots of information on STDs available.
    thanks and none of those are possible just the thrush one. my bf is a total virgin never done anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    thanks and none of those are possible just the thrush one. my bf is a total virgin never done anything
    Bear in mind that he may have oral herpes. Oral herpes, aka 'cold sores', is normally caught non-sexually, often as a child through being kissed by an infected adult like a parent or other relative. In 80 % of people oral herpes causes no recogniseable symptoms, but half of young people are infected with it.

Any person with oral herpes can infect you with genital herpes through performing oral sex on you. This is most likely to happen when they have a cold sore, but can also happen when no symptoms are present. I caught genital herpes from my first boyfriend performing oral sex on me - he had experienced cold sores in the past (caught them as a child) but infected me when he had no symptoms.

So if you receive oral sex, it is possible to get an std from your partner even if they are a virgin and have never engaged in oral sex or kissed a girl, if they caught oral herpes as a baby or child. They could even be unaware of it.

Hsv-1, the oral herpes virus, accounts for 72% of new genital herpes infections in young women in the UK, usually passed to the genitals through oral sex, so it is worth being aware that this is a risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelittleredfox)
    Bear in mind that he may have oral herpes. Oral herpes, aka 'cold sores', is normally caught non-sexually, often as a child through being kissed by an infected adult like a parent or other relative. In 80 % of people oral herpes causes no recogniseable symptoms, but half of young people are infected with it.

Any person with oral herpes can infect you with genital herpes through performing oral sex on you. This is most likely to happen when they have a cold sore, but can also happen when no symptoms are present. I caught genital herpes from my first boyfriend performing oral sex on me - he had experienced cold sores in the past (caught them as a child) but infected me when he had no symptoms.

So if you receive oral sex, it is possible to get an std from your partner even if they are a virgin and have never engaged in oral sex or kissed a girl, if they caught oral herpes as a baby or child. They could even be unaware of it.

Hsv-1, the oral herpes virus, accounts for 72% of new genital herpes infections in young women in the UK, usually passed to the genitals through oral sex, so it is worth being aware that this is a risk.
    i dont know if he has cold sores. i will ask though - herpes oral and vaginal are two different strains and are not always going to pass however i do understand your concern thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M&Ms)
    i dont know if he has cold sores. i will ask though - herpes oral and vaginal are two different strains and are not always going to pass however i do understand your concern thank you
    Are they? :eyeball:

I was under the impression if someone with a coldsore performed oral sex on someone else, that person could get genital herpes?

Maybe it's me who needs to do the googling :awesome:

ReputationRep:

I was under the impression if someone with a coldsore performed oral sex on someone else, that person could get genital herpes?

They are different strains usually, BUT one strain can also be transmitted to the genitals from the mouth. Usually however genital herpes is strain 2 and oral herpes is strain 1. But gential herpes CAN be caused by type 1 and type 2.

To the OP, thrush is not a sexually transmitted disease (however, your risk of getting thrush is increased by sex); everybody has candida/yeast in their genitals, when you get thrush it is merely an overgrowth of yeast. You can get thrush without even having sex or any sexual contact if the conditions are right (risk factors other than sex include using perfumed soaps, douching, wearing tight underwear, non-cotton underwear, wiping back to front and being particularly wet). Thrush can also go away on its own if you reduce the risk factors. Whereas STD's do require treatments such as antibiotics, or simply cannot be treated and thus remain with you permanently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M&Ms)
    Actually, if a person has never had oral hsv-1 themselves, then hsv-1, the so-called 'oral herpes' virus, easily infects the genitals - just as easily as hsv-2. The only reason genital hsv-1 was less common in the past was due to a) possibly less oral sex and b) the fact that most of the population caught oral hsv-1 as a child in the past, which gave them near full immunity to getting it genitally.

In the UK 72% of new genital herpes infections are caused by hsv-1, the oral herpes virus. That does not indicate an unwillingness on the part of hsv-1 to infect the genitals.

The only difference between the two viruses, is that once an infection has been established genitally, hsv-1 will, on average, produce fewer (though not milder) outbreaks than hsv-2.

You are correct!

Hsv-1, oral herpes, is the dominant form of genital herpes now in young women. The most common transmission route is oral sex. It is far more infectious if there is a cold sore, but it can also be infectious when there is no cold sore from time to time. People like to think that oral herpes is somehow more benign or unlikely to cause genital herpes, but this isn't true.

(Original post by Sazzy890)
    They are different strains usually, BUT one strain can also be transmitted to the genitals from the mouth. Usually however genital herpes is strain 2 and oral herpes is strain 1. But gential herpes CAN be caused by type 1 and type 2.
    Hsv-2 is no longer the most common cause of genital herpes among young people, especially young women - hsv-1 is, probably due to the decrease in people with immunity to hsv-1 as the percentage of people with oral hsv-1 drops. You are right that either type can cause genital herpes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.