Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So what's the deal with this? :/

Are there any colleges where you have to room share? Are there any you're guaranteed not to? What's it like to room share?

When you room share is it like you have separate rooms in an apartment kind of things or is it literally a couple of beds in one room?

If that is the case, do you then have a lounge/sitting area as well?

And what are the toilet facilities like in most colleges if you don't have an en suite? Is it basically 5-6 people sharing one toilet?

I also have certain dietary requirements that I don't think the uni can meet in self catered. So would the rooms have areas I can perhaps prepare my own food, or at least store food/groceries that suit my needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob247)
    So what's the deal with this? :/

Are there any colleges where you have to room share? Are there any you're guaranteed not to? What's it like to room share?

When you room share is it like you have separate rooms in an apartment kind of things or is it literally a couple of beds in one room?

If that is the case, do you then have a lounge/sitting area as well?

And what are the toilet facilities like in most colleges if you don't have an en suite? Is it basically 5-6 people sharing one toilet?

I also have certain dietary requirements that I don't think the uni can meet in self catered. So would the rooms have areas I can perhaps prepare my own food, or at least store food/groceries that suit my needs.
    If you go on the Durham website, click on 'education' and in the left side menu it clearly says 'colleges and accommodation' which has all the room sharing numbers!

If you share it's a big bedroom with 2 beds, 2 desks, 2 chairs, 2 wardrobes etc. Some have ensuites, some don't.

Non-ensuite facilities vary but it's usually about 6 people sharing 1 or 2 toilets and shower on average. However most colleges are built in corridors so there could be 14 people on a corridor with 4 toilets and 2 showers on that corridor (which is what I had). Nobody I know has ever had to queue for a shower more than twice in a year, and the showers and toilets are fully cleaned by the cleaners.

ReputationRep:
    In Trevs the rooms are based around landings which have 6 rooms (or 5 with one being share, I think the odd one may have 2 shared and 2 single...) a "pantry" and a bathroom with bath/shower and toilet. I think the only colleges that guarantee single rooms are Mildert and Butler (Butler's self-catered and the rooms are ensuite) though I know in Collingwood (I think) and Hild Bede the shared rooms weren't used at all last year, no idea about this year.

ReputationRep:
    As a vegetarian I chose Butler so that I could be self-catered. One of my flatmates actually moved colleges to be at Butler because her previous college couldn't meet her dietary requirements (she eats Kosher and struggled even to get a vegetarian option at times). Also, there are no shared rooms at Butler and every room has it's own en-suite. (so much love for my pod )

That being said, I know many people who live in shared rooms at other colleges, all of whom have been happy to share the rooms are a good size and some have said having a roommate makes them more productive!

But if you're not going to be eating the catered food, personally I would rather pay out for the en-suite bathroom. Not that I'm biased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    If you go on the Durham website, click on 'education' and in the left side menu it clearly says 'colleges and accommodation' which has all the room sharing numbers!

If you share it's a big bedroom with 2 beds, 2 desks, 2 chairs, 2 wardrobes etc. Some have ensuites, some don't.

Non-ensuite facilities vary but it's usually about 6 people sharing 1 or 2 toilets and shower on average. However most colleges are built in corridors so there could be 14 people on a corridor with 4 toilets and 2 showers on that corridor (which is what I had). Nobody I know has ever had to queue for a shower more than twice in a year, and the showers and toilets are fully cleaned by the cleaners.
    Is there ever usually trouble over one of the two room mates wanting to stay up longer with the light on or come in after a night out whilst their roomate is sleeping?

(Original post by magicmuffin15)
    As a vegetarian I chose Butler so that I could be self-catered. One of my flatmates actually moved colleges to be at Butler because her previous college couldn't meet her dietary requirements (she eats Kosher and struggled even to get a vegetarian option at times). Also, there are no shared rooms at Butler and every room has it's own en-suite. (so much love for my pod )

That being said, I know many people who live in shared rooms at other colleges, all of whom have been happy to share the rooms are a good size and some have said having a roommate makes them more productive!

But if you're not going to be eating the catered food, personally I would rather pay out for the en-suite bathroom. Not that I'm biased
    Is kosher generally a problem in Durham :/ My dietary requirements is not quite, but basically is Kosher.

ReputationRep:
    Is there ever usually trouble over one of the two room mates wanting to stay up longer with the light on or come in after a night out whilst their roomate is sleeping?

Is kosher generally a problem in Durham :/ My dietary requirements is not quite, but basically is Kosher.
    I'm not sure as I didn't share a room. I guess if you were writing an essay all night it'd be nice if you went to the computer room/college library/reading room (I think all colleges have at least one 24 hour reading room or library).

I think you'd have to ring up your college to ask about kosher food, I think they could probably do it though. How strict are you? If it's just that you don't eat pork or meat with blood in then it should be fine as you can easily avoid any pork dishes, and college meat is never rare! But you'd have to ask your college if they'd be able to wash up milk and meat utensils separately.

ReputationRep:

Room mates usually get on, partly because they're very carefully selected for compatibility based on answers to the personal info forms (including typical bed times, musical preferences etc.) that people are asked to fill in. Occasionally they fall out over the sort of stuff you mention and if single accommodation is available (from the occasional drop-out or no-show) then College will look to split up the people struggling to get on first.

Strict kosher, requiring (as I understand it but I don't claim to be an expert) separate food preparation areas and utensils, is not possible from college catering but if it's acceptable simply to avoid eating pork or shellfish etc, then that's quite easy - there's always enough choice for kosher options to be available at every meal. There is a kosher kitchen at St Aidan's College, which is used by the jewish society for shabbat meals - it doesn't produce 21 meals a week but it does, I believe, do the weekly meal plus festivals and students from across the university are welcome.

ReputationRep:
    I only shared for a term and this wasn't an issue...my roommate tended to stay up fairly late writing essays last-minute etc so she just kept her desk light on so it didn't disturb me (her desk was on the opposite side to the room from my bed) or went to the library. She often went out and got back late but that didn't bother me as I'm a deep sleeper anyway. The main issue I found with sharing was changing at night given I didn't really fancy stripping when she was still in the room so I often ended up going to the bathroom to change...otherwise no issues at all from what I remember. Even when I was ill and just wanted to sleep constantly it wasn't an issue given she was out a lot of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Off topic but didn't really want to start a new thread for it.

What is the campus in Durham like in general? Is there one? From what I can ascertain is that the colleges and lecture halls are just located around different parts of the city. So it's not really a York like place?

ReputationRep:

What is the campus in Durham like in general? Is there one? From what I can ascertain is that the colleges and lecture halls are just located around different parts of the city. So it's not really a York like place?
    The "ask a current student" thread is the best place to go for questions that don't have a place in the thread.

The science site is the closest to a campus Durham has. This is where the main library is, along with the science departments and a few others that are social sciences (archaeology, anthropology, geography etc)
    Arts subjects are scattered across the city, with most lectures taking place in Elvet Riverside or in the Education department. If you want to know what they're like, use google images.

ReputationRep:

Durham isn't a campus uni, and like Aula said, the science site is the closest we have to that given that it's slightly separate from the rest of town, and has most of the science departments and is close to the hill colleges. I've always thought that Durham itself is a bit like York in miniature, but the uni buildings and colleges are much much closer to town than York's campus (no buses needed).

ReputationRep:
    It is quite difficult to get hold of Kosher food in Durham as the Jewish population isn't massive, my flatmate often brings up stuff from home. But, if you get involved with the Jewish Society they hold Friday night dinners every week and pretty much all their events involve food. (These are at St Aidans, the only college which has a Kosher kitchen).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.