Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What will yoy do if you win a $10billion in lottery? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    Various charities, including, of course, the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science.
    Definitely worth a rep....

ReputationRep:
    1. pay off my student debt,
    2. think about doing the masters i want to but cant afford to do.
    3. pay for someone to finish the extentions to our house my dad started 15 years ago!!!!! lol
    4. buy my dad a new boat, half thinking this should swap places with 3.... sounds extravagent but it really isnt, some people go abroad on holiday, we go boating, and the boat we have is old... its nearly the same age as me, its just getting to require more and more work to keep it running each year now.
    5. buy a house in leeds, make it prettyfull, and let my housemates move in with me next year ..... or maybe just a house in scotland, iv always wanted to move to scotland... even though iv never been to scotland... hmm
    6. buy my mum her own car so i can have mine back! lol
    7. share some amongst charities i care about.
    8. buy a black sheep because my aunty refuses to get one
    9. give money to uni library with the condition they buy books for modules where a book is on the reading list for seminars but only have 1 copy between a class of 30! most frustrating thing EVER!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knowme)
    As a title reflects what will you do.............................. ...........
    for me at first i would buy a luxurious car.Then i will start for my worldtour.and what about you?
    Stop visiting TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green chica)
    quit my job.
    finish school (i really enjoy it).
    buy my parents a house where they'd want to live, probably in southern california.
    give about 5 million of it to a guy i work with. he's an amazingly hard worker and deserves it. (this isn't me being a ho...he's married and has a kid and he's just a really great guy. i have a lot of respect for him).
    give 5 million to three teachers that have changed my life (15 million total).
    spend my life traveling.
    set up a foundation. i'm not sure what for.
    invest in green energy.
    volunteer for various groups.
    give some money to a few of my friends.
    buy several houses in various places.
    buy a jet.
    maybe even buy an island somewhere.

i'm not really sure what else. honestly 10 billion is more than anyone will ever need. it's kinda a waste for only one person to have that much money.
    I love the idea of giving it to teachers that have really helped me... there are a few I can think of who deserve 5M. I'd buy a 5-10M house to live in a really nice location, buy a nice car and the rest... :eek:

I've hardly used anything and I'm still bloody rich. I'd give money to people who need it at the time, such as small charitable businesses, people who need operations etc... not all in one big lump sum.

(Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    Buy my parents a house, and then buy my own house.
    I gotta make sure they have the major things they need first before I buy myself my own luxury.
    This. Our family have never had much money, so I'd see to the necessities, set up trust funds &c, and make sure there's plenty of money for Donna's Dream House (a local charity my family support).

Also, I'd buy a large hotel in Blackpool and do it up for the George Formby Society. This would include a couple of concert halls, but keep the accomodation (people come from up and down the country - and some even from overseas - to come to our quarterly conventions), at a reduced price for members.

Last, I'd have a bunker built where I cold finally have my computer research lab. And in the lab...

Spoiler:
    Show

a Cray XT-5, and maybe a few workstations... CX-1s! To hell with your numpty, namby-pamby, mere servers.

Oh, and I'd like a PDP-11, just because they're cool.

ReputationRep:
    for me at first i would buy a luxurious car.Then i will start for my worldtour.and what about you?
    I like how this question is catorgorised under "Everyday issues" as if winning the lottery happens every other day... haha

ReputationRep:
    10 Billion?

I would donate some percentage to charities, because no one needs that much money, then I would set up my own publishing company (dream job) and buy a mansion with an indoor swimming pool. I'd set up my entire family and close friends for life. I'd donate a load of money to universities, or look at providing scholarships for thousands of students and completely fund the education of some others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I love the idea of giving it to teachers that have really helped me.
    This reminds me of my science teacher, he demanded we put a cheque in the post for him if any of us ever win the lottery, claiming he should get something because of his 'oh so excellent teaching skills.'

ReputationRep:
    The first thing that I would do would be to take my Grandma down to London to see a load of shows. I know that I'd eventually take all of my family away, but my Grandma is getting too old to travel now (her words lol), so I think that would be a great treat for her. Though if she was travelling first class, I'm sure her opinions on travelling would change!

Then...

- Buy a car for my closest family/friends (Mum, Dad, Sister, Boyfriend, Boyfriend's Family)
    - Buy a house/flat for me and my Sister, and pay off my parents mortgage and offer to move them somewhere nicer
    - Go on holiday!
    - Learn to drive (lol)
    - Pay for my closest friends wedding and honeymoon, and for my other friend to move back to London

Can't think of much more yet...

Oh and Charity... Alzheimers Society, Cancer Research, and Help for Heros at a first though. And that's for my Nan, my Granddad, and because my Dad was in the Army.

ReputationRep:
    Well, after the sitting and staring at it (or bank statement) for a few hours:
    Dad can now retire (he's 61); I can pay for me and my sisters to go through uni without loans; would probably pay off the mortgage on the family home and for a gardener (it's a tip); travel a bit; buy the house I want; books; clothes ...

After writing that am seeing why everyone says charity. I could not just keep that much money. I doubt I'd even spend 1billion in my life. Though I'd probably keep (and spend) half and give the other half to various charities. Maybe, say 50 with a million each?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1.Pay off student loans, including my boyfriend's.
    2.Buy my local. It's a chain pool club called 'Rileys' and we (the regulars and bar staff) often spend our days discussing what we would do to it if we could buy it.
    3.Move to a bigger house (just three bedrooms would be nice, nothing massive).
    4.Pay for my sister and her boyfriend to live together.
    5. Pay my boyfriend to start up his own business and support him while he does so.
    7. Bribe my way past the interview stage in any frickin' job (preferably a training contract with an accounting firm) - I'd still want to work in the same career path.
    6. Keep another billion in the bank, donate the rest to the National Society for Epilepsy and other charities and things that research new epilepsy treatments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    This reminds me of my science teacher, he demanded we put a cheque in the post for him if any of us ever win the lottery, claiming he should get something because of his 'oh so excellent teaching skills.'
    Same with my old music teacher! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    One trillion penny sweets!

ReputationRep:
    Build a 4 bedroom house inside a 15 bedroom mansion.
    Buy 10 White lamborginis, weld together and live in them.
    Buy liverpool football club and liquidate it.
    Walk around everywhere like Eric Cantona.
    Buy Cambridge, rename it Oxford 2.

ReputationRep:
    -Give lots to various family members
    -Give lots to various charities
    -Do a postgrad
    -Buy a really nice flat in central London
    -Buy a house somewhere in the country
    -Buy a car
    -Invest the rest

ReputationRep:
    Pay off my parents debts and mortgages
    Pay off the cost for my degree and postgrad including my brothers
    Take my GF to America and live there for 3-6months
    Buy a nice house, a buggati veyron :sexface:, 100000s of dvds and blu rays
    Save at least 5bn for my kids and family
    Rest all goes to church and charity.

ReputationRep:
    $10 is a lot. Way more than most of us can imagine. I think it would be extremely difficult using even half that money unless you buy a an island or something.

Anyway, I would quit my job and take £10 Million of it and give my close friends and family £10 million each and donate the rest to Pakistan or some charity.

If I was to make a list, I wouldn't be able to even list items worth £1 billion with 'normal' things.

And now I need to stop dreaming and go to work...

ReputationRep:
    You say "will" as if it's definitely going to happen...
    In reality, the chances are miniature. Try "would".

ReputationRep:
    Donate 5 billion to different charities
    buy a nice mansion in hampstead
    give a billion to my parents
    travel around the world
    buy as many clothes and shoes as possible :eek:
    set up my own fashion label

ReputationRep:
    Get a penthouse Apartment, buy my folks a house in Ghana...then start my own business

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.