Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Here's my problem. I'm a French student finishing my MA in English. I would really like to apply for another MA, in the UK, in Journalism / International Relationships, or even Modern History, actually any postgraduate course that could lead me to a journalist job.

Thing is, my BA grades were really just average (thank you depression... no joke ) . In France grades go from 0 to 20 and I got... like 10.5/20, which is, let's say it, really poor to enter a UK uni. Fortunately I may end up my MA with something like 12/20, which I suppose would be like a 2:2 or even 3 (??) in your country. Not great either, but still better.

Does anyone know if they will consider my MA grades seriously? (more than the BA ones, I mean). I've already sent plenty of emails to many uni so I thought I would ask here... I want to study in a UK uni so much, but with these grades I don't think I will be able to attend any decent uni...

Thank you for reading :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

There is no reason why a university wouldn't take your MA grades seriously, but they won't ignore your BA grades. A difference of 1.5 marks may not show enough of a progression for the Admissions Tutors which is why you'll need to make sure your reference letters are really good, and draw attention to the mitigating circumstances affecting your first degree. The Personal Statement that you will likely have to write is going to be really important and will likely be your only chance to explain why a university should offer you a place on their course. When you decide which courses to apply for, make sure you really research the classes you'll be taking and make sure to cater your Personal Statement to how these classes are relevant to your interests, strengths, and future career goals. Do you have any journalism experience, or any volunteering/relevant work experience? If you do then you should mention these in your statement.

One important thing to bear in mind is that you already have an MA and in the UK if you take a university degree at the same level as one you already possess, you will have to pay much higher fees at most places, so you should look into the cost very carefully!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my... I knew it was gonna be really tough to get it but I had not even thought about higher fees... I have just emailed some uni and will see but I'm starting to think all this won't be possible... Feeling quite down right now.

Thank you for your answer still !

ReputationRep:
    Not all universities or all courses will charge ELQ fees. Most universities do it for second undergraduate degrees, but I know that some universities charge more for a second MA or MSc as well - though I think it is less common. The best thing to do is ask them directly about fee information as you often won't find this on their websites. When I was applying for MA's the year before last I was accepted to both programs I applied for at SOAS (MA in Human Rights Law and the MA in International Relations and Diplomacy) and was told that I would have to pay higher fees because I had an MA from St Andrews (even though technically this was an undergraduate degree). When I applied they didn't spell this out on the website, so I was telling you more as a cautionary measure. Not everyone knows to ask. The courses you want to apply to may not do this, but it is always worth asking the question.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I see... I have already received an email from Goldsmiths, there is more than £2,500 of "extra" fees. I will wait and see for the others' answer... Thing is, I had already few chances to get into uni, if I have to narrow down my choices I'm afraid I'll have to give up.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.