Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm scared. ****ed up eyes or hallucinations. Mood swings and paranoia. Watch

Hi,

Long read, please persevere!!

A couple of things, they may or may not be related. Either way, I was wondering what any of you smart and brilliant people thought about this..

I've been seeing all kinds of lights; at at least once or twice a day lately, and at most (yesterday) about 100 times a day or more. They vary from quick small flashes to slow patches of colour movement or flickering. They also vary in distance from me - I can usually kind of see that they're somewhere in the room, as opposed to directly in front of my field of vision. They're usually red, blue or yellow.
    The more sleep deprived I am, the more I see them. I used to only see them when I hadn't had enough sleep but now I see them every day. Yesterday they were far more frequent, and more intense at night. I'd been unbelievably drunk etc the night before and hadn't slept much.

That aside, my mind's been playing tricks on me, I don't know. I've been getting paranoid and anxious lately. I was delirious one night last week I was paranoid about many things and people and I was really down and upset. I've been getting random low moods, especially when I'm alone.
    When I've turned the light off at night I've been really convinced that I'm not safe in my bedroom. It's hard to explain, I know there's nothing that can hurt me, but I THINK there is. I keep checking the shadows.
    I had a ****ed up nightmare the other day where I woke up thinking that the demon I'd dreamt about was real (Again, I knew it wasn't but I kind of thought it was).
    As I've tried to get to sleep I've kind of imagined voices inside my head talking nonsense. I stress the word imagine, I didn't 'hear' them like someone with schizophrenia would, and it has been at times where I'm drifting into hypnagogia.
    I also have vivid daydreams. I imagine weird scenarios, make up stuff that doesn't make sense and recall odd things. I worry that next time I see a flash it will be a face instead or something.

That's about it I think.. I have no idea whether the 2 are related and I'm not sure whether it's worse to have bad eyesight or hallucinations! Every time I see a light now it makes me a little scared and this heightens the uneasiness I may already be feeling. I have a history of ADHD and anxiety. The latter long gone I think, the former still effects me with overwhelming thoughts, and the vivid daydreams etc. I also have experience with hallucinogens.

If you read this all then you're cool, I like you. If you reply and explain what the **** is going on you're even cooler, I REALLY like you.

Much love.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say the obvious and tell you to go see a doctor.

About the thinking you're going crazy, I wouldn't worry too much yet - once you get that kind of idea into your head it's very easy to let your imagination run wild and start thinking that everything is a symptom. The seeing colours thing is weird, but it might just be that there's something wrong with your eyes.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm not about to make a guess about what's wrong with you but thought it might be reassuring for you to hear that whilst I have problems with light and have actual visual hallucinations too, my psychiatrist thinks the lights issues could be down to mild epilepsy. He certainly thinks it's nothing to do with my hallucinations anyway

As superwolf says, best thing to do is go and see a doctor :yes:

Helpful posts, thanks! Yes I will go see a doctor as soon as I can.
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

First of all lack of sleep does cause hallucinations, I know 2 people who have had hallucinations due to lack of sleep. Either that or maybe someones slipped a hallucinogen into your drink.

Regarding the paranoia etc, this usually comes from taking class A drugs, or sometimes from strong cannabis (hallucinations too if it's extra strong), I don't think lack of sleep is linked to paranoia.

But I would definitely recommend that you go to the doctor, and also try to get into a habit of getting at least 8 hours of sleep a day, and hopefully the hallucinations should go away gradually and naturally. Maybe try more relaxing things like yoga and/or meditation.

let me know how it goes

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

Long read, please persevere!!

A couple of things, they may or may not be related. Either way, I was wondering what any of you smart and brilliant people thought about this..

I've been seeing all kinds of lights; at at least once or twice a day lately, and at most (yesterday) about 100 times a day or more. They vary from quick small flashes to slow patches of colour movement or flickering. They also vary in distance from me - I can usually kind of see that they're somewhere in the room, as opposed to directly in front of my field of vision. They're usually red, blue or yellow.
    The more sleep deprived I am, the more I see them. I used to only see them when I hadn't had enough sleep but now I see them every day. Yesterday they were far more frequent, and more intense at night. I'd been unbelievably drunk etc the night before and hadn't slept much.

That aside, my mind's been playing tricks on me, I don't know. I've been getting paranoid and anxious lately. I was delirious one night last week I was paranoid about many things and people and I was really down and upset. I've been getting random low moods, especially when I'm alone.
    When I've turned the light off at night I've been really convinced that I'm not safe in my bedroom. It's hard to explain, I know there's nothing that can hurt me, but I THINK there is. I keep checking the shadows.
    I had a ****ed up nightmare the other day where I woke up thinking that the demon I'd dreamt about was real (Again, I knew it wasn't but I kind of thought it was).
    As I've tried to get to sleep I've kind of imagined voices inside my head talking nonsense. I stress the word imagine, I didn't 'hear' them like someone with schizophrenia would, and it has been at times where I'm drifting into hypnagogia.
    I also have vivid daydreams. I imagine weird scenarios, make up stuff that doesn't make sense and recall odd things. I worry that next time I see a flash it will be a face instead or something.

That's about it I think.. I have no idea whether the 2 are related and I'm not sure whether it's worse to have bad eyesight or hallucinations! Every time I see a light now it makes me a little scared and this heightens the uneasiness I may already be feeling. I have a history of ADHD and anxiety. The latter long gone I think, the former still effects me with overwhelming thoughts, and the vivid daydreams etc. I also have experience with hallucinogens.

If you read this all then you're cool, I like you. If you reply and explain what the **** is going on you're even cooler, I REALLY like you.

Much love.
    Man, what can I say? I feel like I'm in exactly the same situation right now. Night times I see shadows moving real fast from the corner of my eye and whenever the lights off I picture the weirdest things from everything in the room. I've always been paranoid but these days its getting unbearable. About the voices, never come across those. Goodluck in fixing your situation and keep perservering. I havent called a doctor or anything but it's only in the night when this happens.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.