Turn on thread page Beta

MOT every 2years watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The government are considering doing this, personally i dont think it will happen because they said the exact same thing 2 years ago and once they talk to the experts they realise that it is a mistake. But if it does go ahead it will kill most garages because they'll only get half the ammount of work and it will actually make it more expensive because we run a big garage and if this happens we'll have to charge MOT's at £100 and then raise our labour rates for servicing and so on to £90 an hour.

ReputationRep:
    i think its all round a bad idea
    • less work in garages
    • bound to be a increase in accidents

when someone has something wrong with there car that is not blatantly obvious they are less likely to find this
    e.g.
    MOT every year
    problem with brakes - got a MOT next week - MOT shows problem - get problem repaired
    MOT every two years
    problem with brakes - no MOT this year - breaks give in - big crash
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I dont know if it will happen, but i was reading in some magazine that if it does, they were on about making it stricter, even though our MOT'S are apparently the strictest in Europe. They should leave it as it is, the MOT'S are fine as they are, there isnt really any need to change it.

ReputationRep:
    We had a car that had corroded brake pipes and the brake pipe was leaking and the women didnt have a clue anything was wrong because the performance of the car wasn't effected. But on the brake meter the hand brake snapped as well so basically none of her brakes worked and the brake fluid was starting to boil as well.

ReputationRep:
    i think changing it is a rediculous idea! or if it is it should depend on the age of the car, very little goes wrong in the first few years
    i have what compared to my friends is an old car (only 2000 but everyone else's was either old enough to qualify for scrappage scheme, or there mummy and daddy are just really nice and think a 08 car is far too old to be driving around...) and i wouldnt know if there was something wrong with my car... touch wood nothing big has gone wrong when iv had it as of yet....my parents seem to be very good at breaking my car though since coming back to uni i have had 2 phone calls from my mum "your cars broken, were waiting for RAC" *rolls eyes* .... but my car is definately starting to show its age it needs mot's to detect things that are going wrong, and prevent these breakdowns being worse...

there are so many people out there like me who know nothing about cars, so much can go wrong, i mean how many people take their car for an MOT and need to spend loads of money on it to get it to pass, what if that wasnt detected for an extra year, just not safe, like last MOT my car had they told us my handbreak was kind of getting a bit worn, didnt need doing to pass its mot then but would need doing before the next one. will they have to predict things im pretty sure mechanics arent psychic... ....
    x

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.