Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seasons of wither)
    ahh fair enough, ive only recently discovered the prog... subgenre (?) of metal i would say SX converted me on the 22nd march in london though.

i have not! love the song you posted though, feel free to bombard me with moar
    If you liked that then i suggest you get their album Isolate. it's packed full of awesome songs like that.

If that's what you want then that's what I'll do

I don't really like many Dream Theater-style prog bands, I'm more of a power metal fan, but I reckon if you like prog then power metal would also be up you're street.

That's a good place to start (after Kamelot anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Another one you may not have heard of. These guys live 20 minutes from me, and put on loads of free local gigs:

This song is fantastic! Everyone give it a damn listen!

ReputationRep:
    Here's another:
    http://hypem.com/#!/item/kmwa

And another...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KevYY9wtTK4

And another...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LR...986&feature=iv

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnsndryvNo

anything made/remixed by netsky!

ReputationRep:
    i love this song at the moment, the build up is so nicely

http://www.youtube.com/embed/YaVE4WVlsDQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Hello

Always on the look out for new music

Post a youtube video of ONE song, (ie just embed the video) and help I will listen and give my honest opinion.

Literally almost any genre considered, but it helps if I am likely to listen to the whole song throughout without turning it off (so nothing too abrasive/offensive/downright ****). Death metal is a no go.

My last.fm is http://www.last.fm/user/jaydoh1234567

I listen to a wide range of genres mainly indie, rock, and electronic music such as electro. dubstep etc.

Age of track also not important, just interested to see what people recommend and whether I like it.
    Death metal is a no-go? Not at all biased...

How about a bit of an open-minded attitude? I suggest you listen to the entirety of this progressive death metal song, and try to appreciate (not necessarily like as such - but appreciate) its many complex facets, which go waaaay beyond the stereotype of all metal music being nothing but noise.

If you don't consider the chorus to be an amazing, intelligently-constructed tune, you are obviously tone deaf.

ReputationRep:
    mmm hell yeah! LOVE prog

on that note- candelight fantasia by symphony x. a current obsession of mine
    Awesome song, and an awesome album. The 20-minute title track does it for me, though. That song's opening arrangement of Bach's Mass in B Minor is amazingly pretentious :P

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

i liked that first one, it was maybe a bit predictable? i love when the vocals get a bit dirtier though :sexface:

Try this one...

ReputationRep:
    well thank you very much, i appreciate it! ill probably look into that. ahh, i personally love DT. especially stuff like solitary shell. so where do you stand on bands like opeth? admittedly theyre very different to this, i was just curious

i liked that first one, it was maybe a bit predictable? i love when the vocals get a bit dirtier though :sexface:

and the second one was good as well, i felt more at home with it (even if it was a bit dragonforcey at points )

also... LOVE kamelot. or what ive heard of them.
    Kamelot are the absolute ****! Easily my favourite band and Karma (the album with Elizabeth on) is fantastic. I'm going to see them and Evergrey on the 28th

I'm not a huge fan of Evergrey myself, but they're one of the first bands that spring to mind when I think of DT-prog along with Circus Maximus and Symphony X.

I've tried to glisten to Opeth and I quite like a few of their songs but I've never fully got into it. I imagine if I were to listen to Blackwater Park or another Opeth album the whole way through maybe I'd like them more.

Yeh Dragonforce are the most ultimate cheesey power metal ever. Bands like Firewind are just more restrained which I like.

I've had a couple of ideas. You should like this:

and also have you tried any Melodic Death Metal?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    mm. mm *nods appreciatively*

i know, i know but DAYUM. everything they do is just so beautiful and perfectly finished. you have to forgive them for such sneaky pretentious plagiarisms :mmm:

for me, OSAS is definitely up there as well for a while i was really obsessed with a winters dream part II as well... i just dont seem to like songs in normal amounts.
    As far as Symphony X go, you really can't beat 'Paradise Lost' album - the ending track, 'Revelation', is my favourite song by them. Also, their album 'V: The New Mythology Suite' comes a very close second.

If you like them, definitely check out more Circus Maximus - I recommend their album 'The First Chapter'.

Also, check out Dreamscape. The best Dream Theater ripoff band I have ever heard.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    THIS:

I'm totally addicted to the whole of their new album atm, those dirty guitar riffs turned up loud are fantastic to drive along too! If there's ever a band that made a sexy sound, it's gotta be The Kills!

Also, can't find a good version on YouTube, but if you've got Spotify/Grooveshark etc. search for The Cooper Temple Clause - Did You Miss Me. AMAZING SONG. Especially if there's that ex partner who hurt you but now you're the one who's happy

ReputationRep:
    :eek: you so lucky. that would be the highlight of my half term, pretty much- except im going to see the lion king so the jokes on you really ... or not

oh fair enough

id definitely recommend it if you ever got the chance, and listen to my arms, your hearse- especially tracks like when- if youre not so keen on the prog side of it. /pearls of "wisdom" rant

true, true. i found them on my sisters ipod along with panic at the disco and fall out boy... :facepalm: i think we should all boycott dragonforce. (although to be fair, it was a bit of an obscure choice for her)

^ and that was quite the augasm. i have only you to thank

the only melodic death metal ive heard is at the gates liked it though
    Ahh man I love the lion king! But I guess Kamelot will be good too

I will almost certainly (when I get my new iPod - I've been iPod-less for 6 months, it's unbearable) get a couple of their albums. i don't any problems with how proggy it is so should be good.

Ahaa, two of the first CDs i bought were FOB and Panic! Those were the days... yeh maybe not...
    But yeh Dragonforce is a bit too cheesy for me.

Yeh LORD are pretty cool. You should check out the song in my sig. It's craazy.

In that case you should try the more modern Melodeath (less death more melo :P) :

Btw you owe me for this

ReputationRep:
    Type interpol-slow hands in youtube it's good, not a newie but a great song
    also 'Just a moment' by Nas

anything from 50cent, Tupac and Kanye are usually good depends what genre you like, I like a mix of stuff... .... enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    you sir have a good music taste

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.