Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by U.S Lecce)
    Also I think the estimated that the estimated 2bn people watching is a huge exageration! Ok yes a lot of people in the uk will watch but that's about it.
    Oh no, this will be a massive event for people in other countries! If anything they care even more about it than we do (although that wouldn't be hard). Diana's wedding and funeral were worldwide TV events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    As for Cameron... street parties - really, really good, community cohesion always awesome...royal wedding - really not worth a party. But hey, parties are nice happy things so should happen for the silliest of reasons!
    Sure, let's all have a street party with the locals:

The Queen's getting in the spirit and everything:

Maybe David Cameron should open his eyes and see what much of London's really like. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    Most Torries/BNP/UKIP.

I am living proof that is untrue

ReputationRep:
    Boo hiss to Camden for not granting permission for a 'not the Royal Wedding' street party. A tradition of accepting peaceful dissent is part of this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    I am living proof that is untrue
    You're an exception then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    You're an exception then.
    I most certainly am not! Nor is it the rule that right-wingers are necessarily monarchist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Oh no, this will be a massive event for people in other countries! If anything they care even more about it than we do (although that wouldn't be hard). Diana's wedding and funeral were worldwide TV events.
    Rubbish, apart from a small minority in the commonwealth and the US, the rest of the world doesn't care. A lot people here aren't bothered. There is 60million people in the uk, I reckon only about 20-30 million will watch, then possibly roughly that amount outside the uk. Maximum

Put it this way, the world cup final is usually the most watched event on earth. It is usually estimated by media corporations at 1-1.2billion. In reality the actual figure is closer to 250-300million. So clearly these predictions for the royal wedding are also exagerated.

ReputationRep:
    We are having a "happy 600th birthday party" for our house with all the neighbours (live in a converted tudor manor house block of flats), but yes, the royal wedding will be on a big screen and there will bunting. We always have a massive party for last night of the proms with flag waving, national anthem singing and banter about classical music. That's what you get if you live next door to a massive bunch of royalist pensioners! Jolly good fun though, even if the Royal Wedding is a stupid thing to get excited over.

EDIT: As for Cameron... street parties - really, really good, community cohesion always awesome...royal wedding - really not worth a party. But hey, parties are nice happy things so should happen for the silliest of reasons!

ReputationRep:

Everyone should just throw a party outside 10 Downing Street!

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.... At least he isnt telling us to stay inside...
    Red tape is a pain in england as it is...

ReputationRep:
    I hate how our countries financial state makes everyone think we have to live like every single penny spent on enjoyment must be a terrible waste of money. Stop being so scroogian. I find it quite saddening that so many people on TSR, (whom I assume represent the youth of this country), have developed such a pessimistic attitude so early in life.
    People need to learn to live a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Sure, let's all have a street party with the locals:

The Queen's getting in the spirit and everything:

Maybe David Cameron should open his eyes and see what much of London's really like. :facepalm2:
    Benefits of living in a small, rural village I guess!

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised that this wedding is great excuse to get blocked....

Rubbish, apart from a small minority in the commonwealth and the US, the rest of the world doesn't care. A lot people here aren't bothered. There is 60million people in the uk, I reckon only about 20-30 million will watch, then possibly roughly that amount outside the uk. Maximum

Put it this way, the world cup final is usually the most watched event on earth. It is usually estimated by media corporations at 1-1.2billion. In reality the actual figure is closer to 250-300million. So clearly these predictions for the royal wedding are also exagerated.
    lol, think what you like. The TV figures will still be massive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    lol, think what you like. The TV figures will still be massive.
    No where near 2bn though, 60 to 70 million mark, max. Infact to be honest considering the superbowl and champions league final gets about 100million each year, i'd say more like 'massive-ish' :smug:

ReputationRep:
    People are having parties over what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Also I think the estimated that the estimated 2bn people watching is a huge exageration! Ok yes a lot of people in the uk will watch but that's about it.
    I keep seeing adverts on Arabic TV stating that this Royal rubbish that shall be shown.....live. As if the Middle East has not suffered enough....

ReputationRep:
    I urge Cameron to f*** off. What's so special about this tedious event anyway??????

ReputationRep:
    I may not agree with what some of what cameron has said and done. But urging street parties is a bit of a harmless remark to be honest I hardly think it deserves the backlash shown here.

ReputationRep:
    Is this really an issue that warrants a thread or is it more the case that perhaps the OP needs to get out more?..

P.S. "bring out the bunting and let's make this a day to remember" :ahee: Rah! Tally ho!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.