Turn on thread page Beta

Does your bra size change in different bras? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if its just me. It seems bras from different shops and in different styles fit me in different sizes, so I have to try on every bra before I buy it. Surely its a pretty standard sizing scale?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Just wondering if its just me. It seems bras from different shops and in different styles fit me in different sizes, so I have to try on every bra before I buy it. Surely its a pretty standard sizing scale?
    It's like any other item of clothing - it can vary from item to item, and from store to store.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    I have to try them on as well! They always vary. Its quite annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there is definitely variation between shops.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Even between colours as well - apparently black dye makes the clothing come out smaller so I'm a bigger size in black bras!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, womens breast change size. That is just awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. It sucks. Just like with all other clothes. I feel extra special though when I get in to an E cup :P Even though I know it is just dodgy sizing lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    Wow, womens breast change size. That is just awesome.
    Breasts can change size for a variety of reasons, heat, atmospeheric pressure and a few other enviromental considerations but the main cause is generally hormonal changes throughout the Menstrual cycle.

As for bra fit, yes there is a huge problem, as with outer clothing, as to different retailers views on what the different 'standard' sizes should be.

With outer clothing, chains such as Top Shop, Next etc who cater mainly for a younger target audience will 'under-size' clothing, for example putting a 'Size 10' label in a garment that following the usual standard measuring guidelines would actuall be a size 12. The reason for this is a psychological one. Women who may feel unhappy about their size may feel inclinded to shop more often in a store in which theyare a size 10 rather than 12.

Similar issues are found within the lingerie sector.

Other factors that effect sizing is the changing shapes of women since many of the standard sizes were laid down.

There is an excellent page on sizing advice to be found on the website from where I buy much of my wife's underwear. What Katie Did - Sizing
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by James1977)
    Breasts can change size for a variety of reasons, heat, atmospeheric pressure and a few other enviromental considerations but the main cause is generally hormonal changes throughout the Menstrual cycle.

As for bra fit, yes there is a huge problem, as with outer clothing, as to different retailers views on what the different 'standard' sizes should be.

With outer clothing, chains such as Top Shop, Next etc who cater mainly for a younger target audience will 'under-size' clothing, for example putting a 'Size 10' label in a garment that following the usual standard measuring guidelines would actuall be a size 12. The reason for this is a psychological one. Women who may feel unhappy about their size may feel inclinded to shop more often in a store in which theyare a size 10 rather than 12.

Similar issues are found within the lingerie sector.

Other factors that effect sizing is the changing shapes of women since many of the standard sizes were laid down.

There is an excellent page on sizing advice to be found on the website from where I buy much of my wife's underwear. What Katie Did - Sizing
    I think the page you meant to link was this one http://www.whatkatiedid.com/src/brasizing.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I think the page you meant to link was this one http://www.whatkatiedid.com/src/brasizing.php
    No, I linked to that page because it has a good intro on 'modern vs vintage' sizing.

Obviously the links are available on that page to narrow the information required.

ReputationRep:
    Yea they do, but like any clothing you just have to go up or down a size. If you know how to make sure a bra fits properly, i.e. it seperates the boobs and touches the body in the middle instead of leaving a gap, and doesnt ride too far up the back, then you can try on different sizes. Most of the time my back size stays the same and i just have to go up a cup size
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    No, I linked to that page because it has a good intro on 'modern vs vintage' sizing.

Obviously the links are available on that page to narrow the information required.
    True, I assumed as this thread was about different bra sizes in different shops the latter would be much more helpful!

ReputationRep:

With outer clothing, chains such as Top Shop, Next etc who cater mainly for a younger target audience will 'under-size' clothing, for example putting a 'Size 10' label in a garment that following the usual standard measuring guidelines would actuall be a size 12.
    I'm always a size bigger in Topshop
    OP- I find that I'm different sizes in different shops and also slightly depending on the style of bra as well.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear bras; I'm male.

Meaning this post was pointless, I just read the word bra and clicked on the page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    I'm always a size bigger in Topshop
    Its not an exact science, I guess a lot of it also depends on how loose/tight etc you like to wear clothing and the design of said clothing.

ReputationRep:
    I vary by huge amounts. 36DD in La Senza but a 32F in Bravissimo, takes a lot of trial and error for me to work out what I am in other shops!

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I can never buy properly fitting bras online.

ReputationRep:
    Yup,of course.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.