Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to make money whilst having morals and values? Watch

ReputationRep:
    OK, so everywhere we look there are people making a lot of money and some making little. I'm curious to know what you think about the 'system'. Does making a lot of money have to mean behaving with a lack of values and morals and basically screwing everything that is right and wrong and just doing whatever will make the most money? Is it possible to make money which doesn't involve:

Exploitation (of people or the system)? Eg. Getting around the law so that you don't have to pay people for their work or cheating the system in one way or another.
    Bullying. Basically treating others like a piece of dirt and manipulating situations for their own advantage. Forcing others (through controlling them) in situations to do something they know is wrong. Basically meaning that the person is successful because they could shout the loudest or hit the hardest.
    Cheating. Not paying the correct taxes as set out by the system for example or abusing the rules.
    Nepotism. Getting by because of who you know or who you are.

I desperately need some inspiration. Someone who has become successful through using their talent (not their talent to cheat) to make their success in life. Is it possible to be successful with a pure ideology (ie. one which believes in a direct relation between talent/ ability and success) and where competitiveness is based purely on ability.

I sometimes feel that these situations are more common/ worse in this country (as opposed to the rest of Europe for example) because of the intense desire for money?

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Mate, if you were caught doing any of these things - apart from most probably nepotism - you'd be in court. My father works in agriculture however after leaving school I got a job working for the wealthiest Scotsman basically because of my mathematical ability & I now have a frankly ridiculous amount of money considering I'm a student & my background.

ReputationRep:
    Easy - become a geological consultant.
    Loads of money, no bullying, exploitation, cheating of nepotism needed. Just a geology degree.

Hey guys - Guess what I want to be when I grow up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumpynose)
    Mate, if you were caught doing any of these things - apart from most probably nepotism - you'd be in court. My father works in agriculture however after leaving school I got a job working for the wealthiest Scotsman basically because of my mathematical ability & I now have a frankly ridiculous amount of money considering I'm a student & my background.
    How much is ridiculous? (Yes, I'm nosey )

ReputationRep:
    my job involves all four of those ^_^

I now have a frankly ridiculous amount of money considering I'm a student & my background.
    ... and I bet I earn more than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte-rose)
    my job involves all four of those ^_^

... and I bet I earn more than you.
    Good for you, that's excellent!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly of course it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTR_10)
    I desperately need some inspiration. Someone who has become successful through using their talent (not their talent to cheat) to make their success in life. Is it possible to be successful with a pure ideology (ie. one which believes in a direct relation between talent/ ability and success) and where competitiveness is based purely on ability.

Michael Jackson?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swahmad)
    Michael Jackson?
    Yes exactly and look what happened to him.

ReputationRep:
    How ignorant. So everyone who participates in those is brought to justice and we live in a fair, equal world where justice is always served? So what about the people who make a fortune from oil? or loan sharks? Bankers? Lawyers? They are brought to justice are they? Or the wealthy not pay tax is regulated is it? I don't see them in court. It's this type of ignorance that keeps the system going.

If you really do earn a lot of money and work for someone who is wealthy then isn't it interesting how you fail to mention what exactly you do? Or what he does? Probably because you can't explain without it being traced back to one of the above........ Isn't it just as bad to work for someone who is corrupt as it is to be corrupt yourself? No point boasting about your wealth if its foundations lie in bullying, exploitation or cheating is there? Or is there? Is it OK to do this if it means providing for your family? What part does pride play in success? I guess thats a broad question but isn't it better to be able to say I gained my success through hard work, talent, ability and opportunity? But where is the incentive to choose this path and is it even possible?

My point is where is the inspiration for people today to do good, try hard and play fair and be rewarded for it. Where are the role models in society for people to look up to? The people who are brilliant at what they do and have left their mark on the world (in a good way), not the people who just grab what they can.

ReputationRep:
    How ignorant. So everyone who participates in those is brought to justice and we live in a fair, equal world where justice is always served? So what about the people who make a fortune from oil? or loan sharks? Bankers? Lawyers? They are brought to justice are they? Or the wealthy not pay tax is regulated is it? I don't see them in court. It's this type of ignorance that keeps the system going.

If you really do earn a lot of money and work for someone who is wealthy then isn't it interesting how you fail to mention what exactly you do? Or what he does? Probably because you can't explain without it being traced back to one of the above........ Isn't it just as bad to work for someone who is corrupt as it is to be corrupt yourself? No point boasting about your wealth if its foundations lie in bullying, exploitation or cheating is there? Or is there? Is it OK to do this if it means providing for your family? What part does pride play in success? I guess thats a broad question but isn't it better to be able to say I gained my success through hard work, talent, ability and opportunity? But where is the incentive to choose this path and is it even possible?

My point is where is the inspiration for people today to do good, try hard and play fair and be rewarded for it. Where are the role models in society for people to look up to? The people who are brilliant at what they do and have left their mark on the world (in a good way), not the people who just grab what they can.
    Sorry man but I think you're paranoid & I strongly suggest you snap out of it, now. I worked for Wood Group an engineering oil & gas services company, information on this business and the man who runs it is all in the public domain. I gained my success exactly by hard work, talent, ability and opportunity so I don't see what your point is there. I also said if you were caught doing those things and I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with being an oil man, banker or lawyer anyway.

There are a few truly exceptional role models which I can point you in the direction of if you're willing to listen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    How much is ridiculous? (Yes, I'm nosey )
    You are indeed, it's in the order of five figures but I'm not going to divulge anything more.

ReputationRep:
    You are indeed, it's in the order of five figures but I'm not going to divulge anything more.
    add on another zero if you corrupt yourself a little :p:

ReputationRep:
    That nepotism **** u wrote is the most important, I believe i owe alot to my friends/associates, because if it wasn't for them I wouldnt be where i was right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte-rose)
    add on another zero if you corrupt yourself a little :p:
    Well I'm sure I could but frankly I'm not interested. Acquiring more and more money becomes less and less appealing when you've already got enough, if you stop and think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry man but I think you're paranoid & I strongly suggest you snap out of it, now. I worked for Wood Group an engineering oil & gas services company, information on this business and the man who runs it is all in the public domain. I gained my success exactly by hard work, talent, ability and opportunity so I don't see what your point is there. I also said if you were caught doing those things and I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with being an oil man, banker or lawyer anyway.

There are a few truly exceptional role models which I can point you in the direction of if you're willing to listen.
    You work in the oil business. Enough Said.

Or are you going to suggest that the oil business has fair, ethical and moral foundations?

You think I am paranoid. I think you are ignorant.

If you can't see anything wrong with the way bankers, lawyers, people in the oil business behave then you either had no morals and values to begin with (ie-unable to differentiate between what is right and wrong) or you are just plain ignorant to how the world around you works.....

ReputationRep:
    You work in the oil business. Enough Said.

Or are you going to suggest that the oil business has fair, ethical and moral foundations?

You think I am paranoid. I think you are ignorant.

If you can't see anything wrong with the way bankers, lawyers, people in the oil business behave then you either had no morals and values to begin with (ie-unable to differentiate between what is right and wrong) or you are just plain ignorant to how the world around you works.....
    Can you explain why it doesn't have fair, ethical and moral foundations? I'm serious.

I can't speak for everyone here but I can assure you that WG is serious about ethics.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is possible, I can understand your point though, as in society at present it seems that all those things determine how much money we make/earn.... alot of people now get to places, through people they know... But I like to think, and I do think in fact, that there are many who get there without those things u've listed Hope this helps...
    it may be easier to get there e.g earnign alot of money, by doing those things, but if u work hard then u should be able to get there without having to do those things e.g. exploiting/using people.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm sure I could but frankly I'm not interested. Acquiring more and more money becomes less and less appealing when you've already got enough, if you stop and think about it.
    Having enough money is subjective. I couldn't live happily on your income.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.