Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sleep paralysis...terrifying Watch

Anon or delete.

Occasionally I will suffer from sleep paralysis type symptoms. I would wake up and be unable to move, and hear strange whispers etc. I also experience the sensation of floating etc.

Anyway, last night, I was in a semi-sleep state and it felt as if the room was spinning. There were images of people close to me saying stuff, all relevant to what I was thinking in my head.

The scariest part, for me, was when I felt pressure on me and a figure of an old man/thing was leaning on me and looking me in the eyes. I closed my eyes but could still hear him breathing and when I opened, the figure was still grinning and looking at me. It felt so real I was convinced it was a genuine person. I closed my eyes, and began to squeeze the figures arm (the arm was pushing on my chest) and then when I opened my eyes, everything was normal but my hand was squeezing my arm. I don't usually get scared, but that was pretty terrifying. I was sweating like mad and had trouble getting back to sleep.

You'll probably think I'm mad or lying. It's hard to explain, but I'd like to know if anyone has any information or experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete.

Occasionally I will suffer from sleep paralysis type symptoms. I would wake up and be unable to move, and hear strange whispers etc. I also experience the sensation of floating etc.

Anyway, last night, I was in a semi-sleep state and it felt as if the room was spinning. There were images of people close to me saying stuff, all relevant to what I was thinking in my head.

The scariest part, for me, was when I felt pressure on me and a figure of an old man/thing was leaning on me and looking me in the eyes. I closed my eyes but could still hear him breathing and when I opened, the figure was still grinning and looking at me. It felt so real I was convinced it was a genuine person. I closed my eyes, and began to squeeze the figures arm (the arm was pushing on my chest) and then when I opened my eyes, everything was normal but my hand was squeezing my arm. I don't usually get scared, but that was pretty terrifying. I was sweating like mad and had trouble getting back to sleep.

You'll probably think I'm mad or lying. It's hard to explain, but I'd like to know if anyone has any information or experience?
    I experience a similar thing occasionally. I see a weird man/monster thing reaching over me and grinning, and I can't move at all. It's absolutely terrifying at the time, but perfectly normal.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get this when I was younger, combined with night terrors, luckily it just stopped on year (crap, I'm tempting fate now, eh?).

Have you been to see your doctor?

(Original post by ~Kat~)
    I used to get this when I was younger, combined with night terrors, luckily it just stopped on year (crap, I'm tempting fate now, eh?).

Have you been to see your doctor?
    Nah I haven't, I just assume there's nothing a doctor can do? Do you know what causes it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberryswirl)
    I experience a similar thing occasionally. I see a weird man/monster thing reaching over me and grinning, and I can't move at all. It's absolutely terrifying at the time, but perfectly normal.
    You sure about that bro? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    That is all normal so don't worry.
    When you sleep you senses go to hell as your body tricks itself into not knowing what is real and what is not as if you realise you are dreaming, your body will wake yourself up. The best thing to do is to drill into yourself the notion that if something weird is going on, it is not real. This will allow you to realise it is a dream and subsequently you will wake up.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I haven't, I just assume there's nothing a doctor can do? Do you know what causes it?
    This article might help you understand it a bit. I don't think theres much a doctor can do really, its just something that happens sometimes when you're partway between being asleep and awake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    You sure about that bro? :confused:
    100%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A6092471

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

ReputationRep:
    When you dream your body becomes paralysed so that you don't act out your dream. But some people wake up during their dreams and obviously remain paralysed because the body thinks you're still asleep, and you hallucinate as dream merges with reality.... I've never had it before but it sounds weird as hell, and apparently it was people experiencing this who believed they were possessed or had interactions with God back in the medieval age... I don't think I've ever heard of a cure existing, but maybe something that will keep you asleep all night like stuff insomniacs take might help reduce its frequency?

ReputationRep:
    I had this a hell of a lot after my mum died, it helps to sleep with music or tv on and I always slept with a lamp on so it was slightly less terrifying when it happened. It does feel incredibly real. Fortunately now my boyfriend has moved in it's stopped. It is so realistic though

Damn, it was slightly different for me. I couldn't move a bit and felt as if I was being shocked starting from my toes to my head. But, no people etc. Still, it's **** scary

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend seeing your doctor, that's what my Mum did and he gave her some sleeping pills that basically knocked her out as soon as she took them, but they didnt stop the paralysis in the morning. I would still definitely go, as everyones paralysis is different so your doctor may have another method for you.

As for what causes it I have absolutely no idea. But if you suffer from it and you've been stressed during the day you're almost certainly going to have an episode in the night. So just try and calm yourself before you go to sleep, develop a nice routine like drinking some hot chocolate and reading a chapter of your favourite book or something. That's what stopped it for me, 'cause every night I'd go to bed terrified.

I've heard that hypnosis can help, but I wouldn't take my word on it :/

ReputationRep:
    I get it as well, but it's relatively harmless, if a little scary.

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete.

I get this, it's horrible. I usually get a woman strangling me, and I'm physically unable to breathe whilst it's happening. I can't scream, shout, move, anything.

Unfortunately there's nothing you can really do. I saw a doctor about it but he said that it's not unheard of and you just have to deal with it. It lessens though.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get it quite frequently actually and I used to be able to induce it as well which is pretty freaky.

The worst was when I had no idea what sleep paralysis was and I was over at my nan's house. The house is really old and apparently it is used to belong to an old lady who died there... so you can imagine how freaked out I must have been.

During sleep paralysis I can't breathe no matter how hard I try and I hear people screaming and I usually see flashing imagery. When I'm able to breathe I start hyperventilating like crazy.

ReputationRep:
    And even if you do get rid of them, there's no garantee that they can't come back. I finally got rid of my sleep paralysis when I was about 13, and a few months ago I had my first one in six years which was ****ing terrifying seeing as I woke up, unable to move, with my face firmly planted in the pillow.

Wow, glad I'm not the only one then haha. I've had some mad cases in the past. Like once I was listening to my iPod, and the music started scratching and playing really fast with the sound of hissing (like those old kettles). It's just weird and hard to explain to those who have never experienced it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    I get it as well, but it's relatively harmless, if a little scary.
    You've obviously never 'woke up' with your face in your pillow

ReputationRep:
    hey, there are alot of reasons why this can happen, i wont go into some of them cose theyl scare the crap out of u and that wont help anything, but yeh dont worry when it happens just close your eyes andslowly try move ur fingers and toes even if they dont move just try really patiently and soon youll get control back over your body, about the person bit, i understand how scary it can be but just keep your eyes closed until its over, maybe u could have a light in your room or something, you can also keep a camera on at night to see whats actually happening when this happens to u. PM if you need anythin

o yh are u able to speak just barely like a whisper that no one can hear and your actually trying to scream but it just barely comes out as a whisper?

ReputationRep:
    I can usually wake up from a sequence if I repeatedly tell myself that it isn’t real, and focus on moving a particular part of my body (the arm works best). This also takes the brain’s attention away from conjuring hallucinations/fantastical images.

I’ve always found that the position in which I sleep with can help too. I’m much more susceptible to getting an episode if I sleep on my back, and much less likely if I fall asleep on my side. Although it’s difficult to make sure you don’t roll onto your back in your sleep!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.