Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sleep paralysis...terrifying watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    **** this I call troll now.
    i was jking about the paranormal activity bit, but they wouldnt make up stuff they used stuff that people were already scared about. the devil and dark spirit stuff was from personal research when i was gettin sleep paralysis, i barely even know what trollin is lol is it for attention? cose i aint seeking any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    i was jking about the paranormal activity bit, but they wouldnt make up stuff they used stuff that people were already scared about. the devil and dark spirit stuff was from personal research when i was gettin sleep paralysis, i barely even know what trollin is lol is it for attention? cose i aint seeking any.
    Just because you research something and it fits doesn't mean it is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    Just because you research something and it fits doesn't mean it is correct.
    if it doesnt fit in with what your expieriencing then your right, i was just giving what i found when it happenened to me, i mean why dont people get these sleep paralysis's with there fantasys coming true, it does make sense- the cold feeling , the discomfort, the figures that are apparently present and you can physically feel them, the lack of control, i aint saying its true but i am gona say that it may be the reason.

ReputationRep:
    I've had this happen many times for a period of around 9 years now. Usually happens at least once a month.

I don't know if this works for everyone but it certainly helps me.. sleeping on my side (or even more effectively sleeping on my front) seems to negate it. I always had it when I slept on my back, sometimes 2 or 3 seperate events a night, and if i rolled over after the first time it happened it tends not to happen again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete.

Occasionally I will suffer from sleep paralysis type symptoms. I would wake up and be unable to move, and hear strange whispers etc. I also experience the sensation of floating etc.

Anyway, last night, I was in a semi-sleep state and it felt as if the room was spinning. There were images of people close to me saying stuff, all relevant to what I was thinking in my head.

The scariest part, for me, was when I felt pressure on me and a figure of an old man/thing was leaning on me and looking me in the eyes. I closed my eyes but could still hear him breathing and when I opened, the figure was still grinning and looking at me. It felt so real I was convinced it was a genuine person. I closed my eyes, and began to squeeze the figures arm (the arm was pushing on my chest) and then when I opened my eyes, everything was normal but my hand was squeezing my arm. I don't usually get scared, but that was pretty terrifying. I was sweating like mad and had trouble getting back to sleep.

You'll probably think I'm mad or lying. It's hard to explain, but I'd like to know if anyone has any information or experience?
    this

Well the best tip I have got is don't sleep straight facing sky, always sleep sideways (to your right), it worked for me. Whenever I sleep straight I get nightmares or if I wake during the night my body is paralysed.

ReputationRep:
    Feelsbadman.jpeg

ReputationRep:
    i get it aswelll are u on any medications ??? and if that happnes again just get up and switch on the light or do somethingelse ?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete.

Occasionally I will suffer from sleep paralysis type symptoms. I would wake up and be unable to move, and hear strange whispers etc. I also experience the sensation of floating etc.

Anyway, last night, I was in a semi-sleep state and it felt as if the room was spinning. There were images of people close to me saying stuff, all relevant to what I was thinking in my head.

The scariest part, for me, was when I felt pressure on me and a figure of an old man/thing was leaning on me and looking me in the eyes. I closed my eyes but could still hear him breathing and when I opened, the figure was still grinning and looking at me. It felt so real I was convinced it was a genuine person. I closed my eyes, and began to squeeze the figures arm (the arm was pushing on my chest) and then when I opened my eyes, everything was normal but my hand was squeezing my arm. I don't usually get scared, but that was pretty terrifying. I was sweating like mad and had trouble getting back to sleep.

You'll probably think I'm mad or lying. It's hard to explain, but I'd like to know if anyone has any information or experience?
    This gave me chills lol i have the same thing now and again, someone usually leaning over the bed staring at me, sometimes i hear horribly loud footsteps running in the room... horrible ****, but when it happens now i know what's happening, close my eyes, and force my self awake - it takes what feels like huge physical energy, like your trying to free yourself from something, but always works if you keep forcing.. crazy **** lol

ReputationRep:
    WOAH! I've never heard of this before!! There is no way I'm going to be able to sleep tonight, scaryyyyy!!!

ReputationRep:
    I get sleep paralysis and 'exploding head syndrome' (best name for anything ever) often.

Both are fun.

I wish I had more nightmares.

Having your family around you talking sounds like something outa a cheesy horror film. I can't imagine finding that remotely scary, which is, I guess, why it's never happened to me. I can't even explain 99% of the nightmares and such that I get as they rarely involve anything 'real', just straight emotions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    from what I understand it's basically when the line between REMs sleep and consciousness becomes blurred, it can be caused by a number of things but sleeping on your back or stress are the most likely reasons.

set a clock up so that you can see it if it happens again, if it's actually longer than several minutes you should definitely call a doctor. (I say 'actually' because the experience is usually perceived as taking much longer than it actually does, so the opposite of hypnosis)

ReputationRep:
    Very very very very scary.
    I've just read about it, and found out that most people have it at least once or twice in their lifetime...

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror

Last night I had the same.

My bed was shaking and my first though was - earthquake? Ghosts? ****...oh well - I turned around, the bed went on shaking, then I opened my eyes and this efing HUGE spider on my wardrobe - 30 cm + big. I stared at it, my heart went in my stomach and I ran out of the room and crashed to sleep at my flatmates bed : D

She studies psychology and she told me that my thing was probably night terror, as I was shaking and was thinking I was wide awake. We went to check whether there is a spider or anything, but for now there's nothing - we'll see how it goes tonight lol

ReputationRep:
    it was one of those crazy nightmares you have while you're awake, just like you had. I once woke up in the middle of the night screaming "aliens! aliens!"

don't ask

ReputationRep:
    I had this for the first, and only, time about a year ago. I was dreaming about talking to someone in my room, and then I 'opened my eyes' to see my sister (who lives 300 miles away!) kind of sitting over me, leaning onto my torso, 'pinning me down', her face quite close to mine, and dragging a knife across my chest. I tried to struggle, speak, scream, and I couldn't, and the pressure on my chest was really quite something.

I could see the room behind her, as I was lying on my back, I could see the cupboard in the corner, the desk with the lights of the computer on standby, everything was the same except my sister was in the room, attacking me with a knife! It probably lasted for what felt like 20 seconds, before I properly woke up exactly in the position I had 'seen' this whole thing in. I immediately turned over to talk to my partner, sleeping next to me and said "James!!! Something really cool just happened!". It was freaky, and scary, but really interesting and vivid.

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh this has happened to me twice the last month and once 2 years ago.

The first time it happened was after my surgery where I was under a lot of medication so that was probably why I had it, but i was semi sleeping and a dark figure came next to me and asked if I was doing okay and if it still hurts. I thought it was my mum at the time but when I asked her the next morning she said she didn't come into my room.

Second time was again the similar dark figure but this time it pushed down on my chest/torso area and it was really difficult to breathe, probably lasted 10seconds and the third time was just hearing babies crying ( i have no babies in my house) and someone crawling next to my bed. It sounds scary but it really wasn't, I knew I was dreaming at the time, it just felt really real.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I had about 4 experiences of within 2 weeks when I was younger. It was terrifying. My parents were pretty useless about the whole thing and kept on telling me it was a dream and I was adamant that I was awake, I thought I was going crazy. I didn't even find out what it was until years later, and that's only because I stumbled across some article on wikipedia somewhere! I won't go into detail but my 'night terror' involved half of someones face, burn victims, skeletons and my barbell turning into a very scary dude. It was very unnerving at the time and caused me quite a deal of distress. Fortunately I haven't had it since but for the last 6 months or so I've been experiencing what is known as a 'visual sleep start' :

visual sleep start - usually a sensation of blinding light coming from inside the eyes or head and an auditory sleep start - a loud snapping noise that seems to come from inside the head.
    When I was sleeping alone in my old flat a few times I heard what sounded like my door being slammed with enough force to rip it off the hinges, and I woke up quite frightened thinking something was in my flat. Haven't had that for a while but now I get the visual sleep starts pretty much every night, I just ignore them. Quite strange indeed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.