Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am interested in studying Computer Science either on its own or combined with Business Management.

My problem is that I only have a grade C for GCSE maths and most of the prospectuses I have looked at say I need a grade B. Also I am not doing Physics or Computing or Maths for A level purely for the same reason. My college does not offer Computing unfortunately.
    I am studying English Literature, Business Studies and Applied ICT. My official target grades are all C's. However, my teacher predicted grades are more like ABB. I am also undertaking the DofE Silver award. I also have some experience in HTML and Visual Basic programming.

Is there any advice that you could give me, in terms of a plan of action?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhubbert)
    Hi all,

I am interested in studying Computer Science either on its own or combined with Business Management.

My problem is that I only have a grade C for GCSE maths and most of the prospectuses I have looked at say I need a grade B. Also I am not doing Physics or Computing or Maths for A level purely for the same reason. My college does not offer Computing unfortunately.
    I am studying English Literature, Business Studies and Applied ICT. My official target grades are all C's. However, my teacher predicted grades are more like ABB. I am also undertaking the DofE Silver award. I also have some experience in HTML and Visual Basic programming.

Thanks
    Look at Information Business Course and scrape the idea of doing Computer Science

I know this may seem harsh but if you scrape the idea of doing Physics or Maths at A level then why do you think its going 2 be easy at degree :confused: that logic doesn't make scenes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    scenes!
    *sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jen_App)
    *sense
    if that makes you happy, btw your sad

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Pick a different course. In fact, just forget about higher education. No decent university is going to let you study with them. If you can barely get a C at a-level, what are your chances at degree level?

Perhaps you will be more suited to an apprenticeship in building or hairdressing.

ReputationRep:
    if that makes you happy, btw your sad
    Why Thank You! At Least I Can Spell Thanks

ReputationRep:

But not type without using unnecessary capital letters....

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Have you looked at foundation courses? they teach you the acceptable level of maths for entry to the computer science coarse, in addition most university guarantee you a place on condition that you pass the foundation course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)
    Yes Because That Makes A Difference To What Your Reading..
    That Makes "SCENES"

ReputationRep:
    That Makes "SCENES"
    you're*

ReputationRep:
    That Makes "SCENES"
    So it seems you can't spell as you said you could.

It's "you're" in this context, not "your". The irony!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)
    +rep
    That Makes "SCENES"
    still not proper English
    (Original post by Muscovite)
    mate you're a tool you spelt 'sense' as 'scenes'!!!
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

u sure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilllybeans)
    Pick a different course. In fact, just forget about higher education. No decent university is going to let you study with them. If you can barely get a C at a-level, what are your chances at degree level?

Perhaps you will be more suited to an apprenticeship in building or hairdressing.
    That is a tad bit extreme tbh, you do understand that 33% of people who go to uni go with less than EE at A level?

Just cause he doesn't get A's doesn't mean he shouldnt get to uni.

I believe he's just picked the wrong course based on what he hears.

ReputationRep:
    That is a tad bit extreme tbh, you do understand that 33% of people who go to uni go with less than EE at A level?

I forgot to mention that even though my AS target grades are BCC (officially). My teacher target grades are ABB

ReputationRep:
    If you're really keen on Comp Sci - go for it. There are universities whose requirements do not include Maths A level eg. Leicester, Lancaster as well as lots of others a bit lower down the league tables. I agree courses with a Foundation year can be a good idea - though sometimes even they require maths and good grades... If your personal statement is good, showing your interest in the subject you should be OK.
    It depends how 'prestigious' a uni you want. At the very best unis you might be more suited to a business/ IT course, it 's really up to you...

*Glad some people still care about spelling - good for you!!!!*

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Retake GCSE to get atleast a b, if you have any problems feel free to message me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    Retake GCSE to get atleast a b, if you have any problems feel free to message me
    I think I'll have a word with the maths department at my college tomorrow. Do you know whether I'll have to do the whole thing or just one module to boost my grade as I don't think I was that far from getting a B overall. I have been in contact with Leicester and they have suggested that I opt for Bsc Computing.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilllybeans)

Creative trolling has lost its flair once again, I see.

L2TROLLwitcreativityyo.

ReputationRep:

That is why I suggested other courses. By going to university they would be another person putting pressure on the countries resources and just taking places from other candidates.

Also, universities are not going to give places to students who get grade C's in maths gcses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01010000 01001010)
    Creative trolling has lost its flair once again, I see.

L2TROLLwitcreativityyo.
    Because your comments were so beneficial to OP's problem. Cheers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.