The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Grade C

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jhubbert
Hi all,

I am interested in studying Computer Science either on its own or combined with Business Management.

My problem is that I only have a grade C for GCSE maths and most of the prospectuses I have looked at say I need a grade B. Also I am not doing Physics or Computing or Maths for A level purely for the same reason. My college does not offer Computing unfortunately.
I am studying English Literature, Business Studies and Applied ICT. My official target grades are all C's. However, my teacher predicted grades are more like ABB. I am also undertaking the DofE Silver award. I also have some experience in HTML and Visual Basic programming.

Is there any advice that you could give me, in terms of a plan of action?

Computer Science will be generally out of the question as most Unis want A-level maths or minimum grade B GCSE in some cases.

It might be worth looking at straight Computing courses (less theoretical/mathematical & more practical) or joint courses like Computing with Management, IT management for business (ITMB), Information Management + Computing, etc etc.

Highlight your HTML & VB experience in your PS.............also, ignore the knobs on TSR who say only those with A*A*A* should go to Uni or any Uni ranked below XX is a waste of space.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by BigV
Computer Science will be generally out of the question as most Unis want A-level maths or minimum grade B GCSE in some cases.

It might be worth looking at straight Computing courses (less theoretical/mathematical & more practical) or joint courses like Computing with Management, IT management for business (ITMB), Information Management + Computing, etc etc.

Highlight your HTML & VB experience in your PS.............also, ignore the knobs on TSR who say only those with A*A*A* should go to Uni or any Uni ranked below XX is a waste of space.

Thanks for a positive reply :smile:

That's what I've been looking at. I have realised that I was probably setting my hopes too high anyway and not sure if I'd be able to cope with some of the Maths. I have considered resitting one of the modules but considering I may also need at least an AS in maths, it may not be worth it. So far I have considered the following university's for either Computing on its own or combined with business management:

University of Leicester
Keele University
Sheffield Hallam

They aren't all in the top 20 but good enough. I don't believe in league tables.
Reply 22

Thanks for a positive reply :smile:

That's what I've been looking at. I have realised that I was probably setting my hopes too high anyway and not sure if I'd be able to cope with some of the Maths. I have considered resitting one of the modules but considering I may also need at least an AS in maths, it may not be worth it. So far I have considered the following university's for either Computing on its own or combined with business management:

University of Leicester
Keele University
Sheffield Hallam

They aren't all in the top 20 but good enough. I don't believe in league tables.

I have read your comments and I understand the situation you're in at the moment.

It will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to actually gain admission for a Computer Science course at even a good university. The more prestigious and higher ranked universities will require at least A level Maths/Further Maths which you unfortunately haven't taken. It seems to me that you are not too confident with maths which in this case I'd suggest you don't do computer science as there will be a lot of maths involved.

I would have to agree with what most people has suggested which is to do a computing course instead. If you can gain admission into University of Leicester then you will be lucky because I don't think their entry requirement will be less than ABB. Keele is another great institution which it will be worth applying to.

What course exactly do you actually want to do now?
Reply 23
Original post by *Hakz*
I have read your comments and I understand the situation you're in at the moment.

It will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to actually gain admission for a Computer Science course at even a good university. The more prestigious and higher ranked universities will require at least A level Maths/Further Maths which you unfortunately haven't taken. It seems to me that you are not too confident with maths which in this case I'd suggest you don't do computer science as there will be a lot of maths involved.

I would have to agree with what most people has suggested which is to do a computing course instead. If you can gain admission into University of Leicester then you will be lucky because I don't think their entry requirement will be less than ABB. Keele is another great institution which it will be worth applying to.

What course exactly do you actually want to do now?

Originally, I wanted to do Computer Science but now I understand that this will be difficult. So after some research I concluded that Computing would be the better option either on its own or preferbly with Business Management. I have just looked for Leicester for course G4N1 (Comp with Management) and it is BBB. I don't think I will have a problem exceeding my official target grades as they are based on all sorts of stuff. My teacher target grades are currently ACC but I know I can exceed them like I have done in the past.

Thanks for yet another positive response and for not being an absolute nob saying you need A* AA to go to uni :smile:
Reply 24

Originally, I wanted to do Computer Science but now I understand that this will be difficult. So after some research I concluded that Computing would be the better option either on its own or preferbly with Business Management. I have just looked for Leicester for course G4N1 (Comp with Management) and it is BBB. I don't think I will have a problem exceeding my official target grades as they are based on all sorts of stuff. My teacher target grades are currently ACC but I know I can exceed them like I have done in the past.

Thanks for yet another positive response and for not being an absolute nob saying you need A* AA to go to uni :smile:

We are here to help one another out :smile: Not getting A*s doesnt make anyone more inferior in my opinion. There could be extenuating factors which prevents some students from achieving those grades.

It'll be good if you could gain admission to Leicester, a very good university. When are you applying to university though because it is a bit late for this year.
Reply 25
Original post by *Hakz*
We are here to help one another out :smile: Not getting A*s doesnt make anyone more inferior in my opinion. There could be extenuating factors which prevents some students from achieving those grades.

It'll be good if you could gain admission to Leicester, a very good university. When are you applying to university though because it is a bit late for this year.

For 2012 entry so I am still doing my AS :smile:
Reply 26

For 2012 entry so I am still doing my AS :smile:

That is good then, you've still got a whole year. I'm even sure you can get more than those ACC predicted. Change your attitude and you could do some retakes and you could even end up with all As at the end of A2
Reply 27
Original post by *Hakz*
That is good then, you've still got a whole year. I'm even sure you can get more than those ACC predicted. Change your attitude and you could do some retakes and you could even end up with all As at the end of A2

Thanks, it's not so much the A levels that I think are going to hold me back, it's that GCSE maths grade.
Reply 28

Thanks, it's not so much the A levels that I think are going to hold me back, it's that GCSE maths grade.

Would you be confident and motivated to do a resit, my friend?
Reply 29
Original post by *Hakz*

Well, I'll have a word with the maths department at my college. If I have to do the whole GCSE again I won't bother but if I just have to do one unit, I'll do it.
Reply 30
Have you called up any uni's
Reply 31
:tongue:
Original post by loquita
Have you called up any uni's

I've emailed Leicester who said they would consider me but Birmingham said no
Reply 32
Original post by *Hakz*

I spoke to the director of post 16 who is also a maths teacher today and she says that's fine. I will be arranging it after the easter break for the November examination :smile:
Reply 33

I spoke to the director of post 16 who is also a maths teacher today and she says that's fine. I will be arranging it after the easter break for the November examination :smile:

Well done mate. Hopefully you do your revision for that and aim for at least a B grade.

Best of luck my friend!
Reply 34
Original post by *Hakz*
Well done mate. Hopefully you do your revision for that and aim for at least a B grade.

Best of luck my friend!

That's the plan! I hope to get a B so I can get a B overall. I won't be able to get an A as I'm only doing one module so I won't have enough points. But a B is so much better and it opens up so many doors for me!
Reply 35

That's the plan! I hope to get a B so I can get a B overall. I won't be able to get an A as I'm only doing one module so I won't have enough points. But a B is so much better and it opens up so many doors for me!

You're certainly right.

Good luck
Reply 36

Wish you the best in your endeavours.Don't listen to those saying that you need A*'s and s*** to go to university.Try your hardest to get the highest ucas points possible.They are an important requirement in graduate schemes/jobs together with your university degree classifiaction.
Hi all,

I am interested in studying Computer Science either on its own or combined with Business Management.

My problem is that I only have a grade C for GCSE maths and most of the prospectuses I have looked at say I need a grade B. Also I am not doing Physics or Computing or Maths for A level purely for the same reason. My college does not offer Computing unfortunately.

If you don't enjoy maths or aren't mathematically minded, then I don't think computer science is for you. Computer science is basically applied maths as far as I'm aware.
Maybe just try applying for a straight Business/Management course?
I honestly don't think you'll enjoy computer science if you don't enjoy maths/using maths.
Reply 38
Original post by JayTeeKay
If you don't enjoy maths or aren't mathematically minded, then I don't think computer science is for you. Computer science is basically applied maths as far as I'm aware.
Maybe just try applying for a straight Business/Management course?
I honestly don't think you'll enjoy computer science if you don't enjoy maths/using maths.

I have changed my mind to just Computing which is less mathematical combined with business management. It is the industry I want to enter. I am resitting GCSE Module 5 maths I think to bump my grade up to a B as it isn't that far off
Reply 39
Original post by any_name
Wish you the best in your endeavours.Don't listen to those saying that you need A*'s and s*** to go to university.Try your hardest to get the highest ucas points possible.They are an important requirement in graduate schemes/jobs together with your university degree classifiaction.

My prospectuses for Keele and Leicester arrived this week. Both look very promising. For Keele I'm looking at Computer Science with Business Management. Before anyone says anything, they teach you all the maths you need to know beyond GCSE according to the prospectus. It is also gives you the option to spend a semester abroad which I'd like to do especially the USA! With Leicester, it will be Computing with Business Management.

I don't suppose you could enlighten me on both universties reputations generally and more specifically computing or business course related :smile:

Thanks,
Joe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending