Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So on the specification it says:

'The transition elements have similar properties and some special properties because the lower energy shell is being filled in the atoms between group 2 and 3. This is because the 3rd enegry shell can hold up 10 18 electrons, once 2 electrons have occupied the 4th level.

I just dont understand this concept. Can someone please explain it to me

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by 10 18 electrons?

ReputationRep:
    sorry just 18. typo

ReputationRep:
    up to 18*

ReputationRep:
    A better definition of transition elements in my opinion is: 'Elements which can form one or more ion with an incomplete d sub shell' e.g. Cu+ [Ar]3d9 4s2 ( this might be an incorrect example because its just to show the idea)

However the definition may be different depending on your exam board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thievingllama)
    A better definition of transition elements in my opinion is: 'Elements which can form one or more ion with an incomplete d sub shell' e.g. Cu+ [Ar]3d9 4s2 ( this might be an incorrect example because its just to show the idea)

However the definition may be different depending on your exam board
    This is true - it explains why scandium (Sc3+) and zinc (Zn2+) are not considered to be transition metals - they do not have an incomplete 'd' sub shell; Sc3+ has 3d0 and Zn2+ has 3d10.

ReputationRep:
    The full definition is an element which forms one or more stable ions with incomplete d sub-shells

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure why i was negged, you need to include stable, otherwise you could claim that Cu isn't a transition metal, as it loses its electron form the 4s sub shell first, forming Cu+ with a complete d orbital
    The reason it is still a transition metal is because the Cu+ ion is not stable so disproportionates to Cu and Cu2+
    Wasn't being pedantic, just making sure the OP gets the correct definition.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.