Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So last week (Monday) I sent an email to a professor, but got back one of those automated "out of office" responses. The email said he would be back by Friday. Question is, should I resend the email in case he didn't see it? Or should I wait one more week? cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stef90)
    So last week (Monday) I sent an email to a professor, but got back one of those automated "out of office" responses. The email said he would be back by Friday. Question is, should I resend the email in case he didn't see it? Or should I wait one more week? cheers.
    Wait until he responds. He won't thank you for clogging up his inbox with needless messages.

ReputationRep:
    Well, isn't that common sense? There's no harm in sending another mail. Luckily, e-mail isn't as intrusive as a phone call, for instance. Although he's probably going to see the e-mail when he comes back.

ReputationRep:
    Give him a couple of days to respond first. If he has been away for a few days then he may have a lot of e-mails to catch up with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    Luckily, e-mail isn't as intrusive as a phone call, for instance.
    There speaks a person who has never returned from holdiay to find 500 emails waiting for him. The clue is in the out-of-office response. He has arranged that precisely so that those who have tried to contact him will be assured that he will respond in due course and in the hope that they won't clog up his intray with extra messages.

ReputationRep:
    Wait until he responds. He won't thank you for clogging up his inbox with needless messages.
    Well, isn't that common sense? There's no harm in sending another mail. Luckily, e-mail isn't as intrusive as a phone call, for instance. Although he's probably going to see the e-mail when he comes back.
    Yeah, these are my two conflicting thoughts. Plus, as he's probably the guy I'll be talking to when applying for a Phd, I need to make a good impression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    There speaks a person who has never returned from holdiay to find 500 emails waiting for him. The clue is in the out-of-office response. He has arranged that precisely so that those who have tried to contact him will be assured that he will respond in due course and in the hope that they won't clog up his intray with extra messages.
    Fun times!
    Makes sense, guess I'll wait another week, thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    If it's urgent, send another email. If it can wait then don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    My point still stands. E-mail is less intrusive. It takes a couple of seconds to see who sent the e-mail, the subject and delete it.

ReputationRep:
    I attended a pretty rubbish university where the lecturers couldn;t care less. They very rarely answered e-mails (bar the odd couple of lecturers of course), and one of my lecturers even told me they scan through the message topic and unless it's really urgent they won't even bother opening it.

So, I found the best way to go when I really needed to see a lecturer was to go to a drop in session. (they normally had designated "office hours") or just turn up at their office and ask if you can arrange a meeting, often if their not too busy then they would allow a quick chat.

May just have been my university protocol though...

ReputationRep:
    My point still stands. E-mail is less intrusive. It takes a couple of seconds to see who sent the e-mail, the subject and delete it.
    he got back on friday - it is now only monday. it will take him most of the day to clear his inbox, prioritise what needs to be responded to, and then respond.

my supervisor gets incredibly stressed by the amount of emails she gets after holidays - in fact, as a result, she usually checks her inbox every day while on holiday.

give the man a few days to sort himself and out and respond. email is just as intrusive, and irritating, especially when you've not had long to deal with everything!

and if it's really urgent, call him.

ReputationRep:
    A little bit longer than that, as you can't just read the subject line to find out what the email is about. If it takes a conservative ten seconds to browse through each of 500 emails upon your return from holiday that means you have to find the best part of two hours just to identify what is rubbish and can be deleted. That doesn't give you any time to deal with the business involved and, of course, all this doesn't take account of the physical intray, the inevitable departmental meeting, the catch-up discussions in the office.

A stranger cannot sensibly expect a response from someone who is returning from holiday for at leats a week after they return and spamming them is as likely to put that time off, if he gets shirty about it, as it is to hurry him up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stef90)
    It's only Monday now, and I doubt he looked at them over the weekend, wait until this friday and if you've not heard anything then email again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.