Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I seriously can’t find a concise answer anywhere so any help would be much appreciated.

What's the difference between a matrix and cement on sedimentary rock, or are they the same? They seem to be used interchangeably

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilliehear)
    I seriously can’t find a concise answer anywhere so any help would be much appreciated.

What's the difference between a matrix and cement on sedimentary rock, or are they the same? They seem to be used interchangeably

Thanks in advance
    They are different, although in the textbook (OCR at least) they're used interchangeably. According to my geology dictionary matrix is 'the fine grained material separating clasts in sedimentary rock', whereas cement is 'mineral matter, introduced after deposition, that binds the sediment into rock'. Hope this helps

Edit: Oh just noticed, if you have the OCR Geology textbook they have definitions on page 115 of cement and matrix. They're pretty much the same as the ones I put above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schnapster)
    They are different, although in the textbook (OCR at least) they're used interchangeably. According to my geology dictionary matrix is 'the fine grained material separating clasts in sedimentary rock', whereas cement is 'mineral matter, introduced after deposition, that binds the sediment into rock'. Hope this helps

Edit: Oh just noticed, if you have the OCR Geology textbook they have definitions on page 115 of cement and matrix. They're pretty much the same as the ones I put above.
    Thank you, and yes i was using the OCR book so really should read it properly first

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the above explanation, here are some differences noteworthy, matrix is the same age as the clasts they hold and cement comes later with pore water, matrix is heterogeneous whereas cement is homogeneous, matrix is chemically impure while cement is chemically pure, matrix drapes over grains while cement lines pores.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.