lilliehear
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I seriously can’t find a concise answer anywhere so any help would be much appreciated.

What's the difference between a matrix and cement on sedimentary rock, or are they the same? They seem to be used interchangeably

Thanks in advance
schnapster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lilliehear)
I seriously can’t find a concise answer anywhere so any help would be much appreciated.

What's the difference between a matrix and cement on sedimentary rock, or are they the same? They seem to be used interchangeably

Thanks in advance
They are different, although in the textbook (OCR at least) they're used interchangeably. According to my geology dictionary matrix is 'the fine grained material separating clasts in sedimentary rock', whereas cement is 'mineral matter, introduced after deposition, that binds the sediment into rock'. Hope this helps

Edit: Oh just noticed, if you have the OCR Geology textbook they have definitions on page 115 of cement and matrix. They're pretty much the same as the ones I put above.
lilliehear
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by schnapster)
They are different, although in the textbook (OCR at least) they're used interchangeably. According to my geology dictionary matrix is 'the fine grained material separating clasts in sedimentary rock', whereas cement is 'mineral matter, introduced after deposition, that binds the sediment into rock'. Hope this helps

Edit: Oh just noticed, if you have the OCR Geology textbook they have definitions on page 115 of cement and matrix. They're pretty much the same as the ones I put above.
Thank you, and yes i was using the OCR book so really should read it properly first
Dave Bizy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In addition to the above explanation, here are some differences noteworthy, matrix is the same age as the clasts they hold and cement comes later with pore water, matrix is heterogeneous whereas cement is homogeneous, matrix is chemically impure while cement is chemically pure, matrix drapes over grains while cement lines pores.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (0)
0%
They've been reasonable (4)
57.14%
Not feeling great... (3)
42.86%
They are TERRIBLE! (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise