Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWills)
    I may be wrong, but if heat is a form of energy and our universe is more or less infinitely massive then surely if you could have an infinite amount of heat?

Edit:
    Touche!
    Which physicists have claimed that the universe is infinitely masisve.

ReputationRep:
    I asked this the other day, there doesn't seem to be an absolute max, but above the Planck temperature the laws of physics no longer apply because quantum gravity is not yet understood. Not sure if I've worded that right but anyway, that's what I understood by it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    Really? I would have thought that you'd end up with an infinite temperature since no matter how much energy you put in you'd never be able to reach the speed of light. So plotting a graph of temperature against speed, your asymptote would be at v=c on the speed axis, and the temperature axis would just fly off into infinity

TBH, its somewhat meaningless as a concept once we get beyond 10^32K, because at that point every particle would become so massive that they would have collapsed into their own black hole. We have no meaningful definition of temperature at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    TBH, its somewhat meaningless as a concept once we get beyond 10^32K, because at that point every particle would become so massive that they would have collapsed into their own black hole. We have no meaningful definition of temperature at this point.
    Good point.

Physics is weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Which physicists have claimed that the universe is infinitely masisve.
    Wouldn't the Friedman-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker Metric model suffice- assuming that everything is expanding. As I said I may be wrong and seeing as I have made the tremendous assumption that infinite expansion equates to infinite mass I wouldn't be writing a thesis on my statement any time soon I would also like to say that I am basing this on half assed A-level teaching. I'm sure if I read this in 4 years time I will be horrified.

ReputationRep:
    Heat is just KE of particles in a system?

THerefore there must be a maximum due to the speed of light?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWills)
    Wouldn't the Friedman-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker Metric model suffice- assuming that everything is expanding. As I said I may be wrong and seeing as I have made the tremendous assumption that infinite expansion equates to infinite mass I wouldn't be writing a thesis on my statement any time soon I would also like to say that I am basing this on half assed A-level teaching. I'm sure if I read this in 4 years time I will be horrified.
    I dunno. Although I'd have thought just with the idea of common sense that if the universe is infinite it must have had infinite mass at the big bang which would mean the universe couldnt expand as it was already as big as it was going to be. Although this is me talking with very little physics knowledge (just a level) so yeh like you I dont know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn and fall)

I had a feeling that might come into some how . . .

I dunno. Although I'd have thought just with the idea of common sense that if the universe is infinite it must have had infinite mass at the big bang which would mean the universe couldnt expand as it was already as big as it was going to be. Although this is me talking with very little physics knowledge (just a level) so yeh like you I dont know.
    I'm only talking with only gcse physics and after watching programmes such as horizon and Prof Brian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn and fall)

Wrong. Once particles approach the speed of light their kinetic energy will continue to increase as their mass will begin to increase. Ek=1/2mv^2.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. Once particles approach the speed of light their kinetic energy will continue to increase as their mass will begin to increase. Ek=1/2mv^2.
    That's pretty misleading. Firstly, they'll never reach the speed of light. Secondly, their mass begins to increase as soon as they start accelerating - although the increase is negligible until the speed is noticeable fraction of the speed of light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    That's pretty misleading. Firstly, they'll never reach the speed of light. Secondly, their mass begins to increase as soon as they start accelerating - although the increase is negligible until the speed is noticeable fraction of the speed of light.
    However, the point still stands that the speed of light is not a limit on the amount of kinetic energy a particle could have, and if it were to become so massive that it became a black hole, why could it no longer gain kinetic energy? I thought we have no reason to believe that there was a limit on the mass of a black hole?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thievingllama)
    However, the point still stands that the speed of light is not a limit on the amount of kinetic energy a particle could have, and if it were to become so massive that it became a black hole, why could it no longer gain kinetic energy? I thought we have no reason to believe that there was a limit on the mass of a black hole?
    What you say is right, but what py0alb said about black holes was just that there isn't really a meaningful definition of temperature in a black hole... our understanding of physics just kinda breaks down in such crazy conditions.

I think the important thing to take away from this discussion is what I said before: Physics is weird.

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.