Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Speechless: no voice for external MFL candidates? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am an external candidate (i.e., not enrolled as a student at any college) studying French and German at home in preparation for 'A' level examinations.

Over the past six months I have approached exam centres in my region with the intention of sitting these examinations as an external candidate.

I have made little progress, however. The problem that appears to be facing external candidates in MFLs (modern foreign languages) is that exam centres are unable to arrange speaking tests, which account for 30% of the total 'A' level.

Exam centres 'embracing' external candidates tell us that we can register for almost any subject, providing the subject in question has no oral or coursework component.

So, in theory, external candidates are able to register and sit the exams for the other two units (AS/A2 Listening, Reading and Writing tests) through such exam centres.

But what about the speaking tests?

Have other external candidates managed to work around this obstacle in acquiring MFL qualifications?

Who can say?

External candidates are few and far between; collectively, we have no voice and so we are unable to create an environment for better opportunities.

Thankfully, it is forums like the Student Room that provide the virtual environment.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    ---

ReputationRep:
    I'm very surprised at this to be honest. When I did German A-level, we had to go to a different school to take the oral exam because there were only a few of us, and so an examiner wouldn't visit the school. At the school we went to, there were several candidates from a number of centres, and so I can't see why they'd object to having an external candidate.

ReputationRep:
    I've been studying my A-levels at home, I did AS french and managed to get a local private school to agree to take me as a private candidate. Although it was my old school which probably helped...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. I trust the melodrama kept you engaged, Caprisun!

d123, it might be due to the fact that external candidates have no pre-existing relationship with exam centres - whereas the smaller schools, colleges and even private tutors do - so that staff are reluctant to go through the same process for just one person.

thatsthebadger93, this is the route I have pursued over the past six months...to no avail! Maybe I need to speak to more private schools in the region.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. I trust the melodrama kept you engaged, Caprisun!

d123, it might be due to the fact that external candidates have no pre-existing relationship with exam centres - whereas the smaller schools, colleges and even private tutors do - so that staff are reluctant to go through the same process for just one person.

thatsthebadger93, did the school have a sixth form, or did it merely cater for A-level students?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the school did have a 6th form so they were geared up for A level exams anyway.
    When I was looking for places to sit my exams I got the impression that a lot of schools were worried I wouldn't pay up in time once they'd booked the exam so they'd have ended up paying for it, rather than it being a question of inconvinience

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 16, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.