The Student Room Group

Get ready for disapointment?

After thinking that getting a job would be nigh on impossible, I took a quite direct route and phoned some places up rather than sending out a load of general cvs that'll end up in the bin.

So far I've phoned up 3 places.

One cafe might employ me for casual work over the summer as many of the waitresses are off to uni soon so will be away sorting that out. The owner said i could see her tomorrow so she can see what i'm like.

One boaty place isn't looking for anyone at the minute but their high season hasn't started yet so might ring me back soon.

And another boaty place is advertising for jobs but I can't work the amount of hours they want and I haven't got a VHF radio licence but the manager says he doubts they'll find people to fill all the places so after next week when they've finished interviewing people he might get in touch with me.

Am I just lucky, was it my approach or will they not employ me? Knowing my luck it's too good to be true and I get let down at the last hurdle. :frown:
Depends on the field, I guess. With stuff that involves working with people, waiting on, working in a shop etc. I've found it's a lot more effective ringing up beforehand and saying you know they're hiring and ask if dropping in a CV in person would be alright.

I wouldn't say prepare for disappointment by all means. They're making an appointment to see if you turn up on time, look respectable as opposed to being late and dressed in white face paint and heavy black eye shadow.
Reply 2
I'm a punctual person, I would rather have the 'boaty' kind of jobs. They were advertising for about 20hrs per week and wanted you to have power level 2, VHF radio licence and first aid but the boss thought there might be something for me. I think people that have all those qualifications and are fit and healthy enough to do that kind of work would have/ want a better job than this one though so I can see why he said they might struggle to find enough people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending