Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am going to take the COMP1 exam in May/June and was wondering how to possibly do well in it. I have gone over the source code a couple of times and fixed some errors. Just wanted to know whether COMP1 is actually a really hard exam since it accountable of 60% of the overall AS grade?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on whether is has changed since last year! :P (Comp1 is the practical one, isn't it?)

What language are you doing it in?

Do you have the prerelease material yet?

I get the impression that every year a major part of the exam is knowing how to read a textfile at runtime; certainly it was for me last year... Worth learning up on that at least.

Just practice doing again the basic programming techniques you've done so far (particularly anything your teacher has focused on ) and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, COMP1 is the practical one.

I am doing it in Pascal.

Yes, I have been given the prerelease material

I have looked over the past papers. They look pretty tricky, especially the last section.

What advice would you give me in order to obtain the highest marks possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exam2k10)
    Yes, COMP1 is the practical one.

I am doing it in Pascal.

Yes, I have been given the prerelease material

I have looked over the past papers. They look pretty tricky, especially the last section.

What advice would you give me in order to obtain the highest marks possible?
    Ah Pascal, good choice, that probably puts you in best shape, the exams are (to some extent) designed for Pascal.

Well, yes. The last section is the main body of the exam, and can't be guaranteed to be easy. Few tips, really:
    1) Study the skeleton program. Try and think about what's missing from it, what else it needs to achieve its purpose; then practice doing that. Talk to your teacher for help with specifics.
    2) Learn how to read from, and write to, text files. That's a very common task in Comp1, apparently, since it's complex enough to require previous knowledge without being crazy hard. Do it a few times, until you KNOW you can do it without notes. Ask your teacher if you can't remember/weren't taught how. (Pipe variable (text type), AssignFile, Reset, then a repeat/while loop, for reading, if I remember correctly).
    3) PRACTICE CODING. Find some just-past-basic exercise from whichever Pascal textbook you're using (or the AS textbook if you're desperate), and do lots of them, with as little help as possible (I believe you are allowed access to the Delphi Help sections during the exam, but check that with your teacher). Set yourself exercises to do. Play around with procedures and functions, and familiarise yourself with all the variable types.
    4) 3) again.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank you very much for the advice.

Very much appreciated

I just wanted to know whether I can get a B or if not an A by revising computing everyday until the exams. To be honest I am not that good with programming.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Well the test can be easy or hard, it depends on what you learned to do with the code and how good you are on thinking on your feet if you get asked something you not covered.

Also I remember being also to look at the answer sheet that we would be putting our answers into, this lest us pratice answering the questions, it also let us guess what type of questions we where going to get.

Hope this helps.

Mistwarden

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 28, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.