The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to get over first serious relationship?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
My ex decided to break up with me a couple of days after my grandma passed away....

He was a total dick to me! which made him a lot easier to get over :-)

Being single is definately a lot easier!
I've been with my ex for almost 3 yrs. Took me a year to get over him. It's pretty hard and just thinking about what I was before, I can't believe those things happened to me. Right now I'm in love with someone and hoping he would ask me to be his gf someday.
Reply 42
It's been 8 months since the break up. i met 3 guys after that and tried to get my ex out of my head but still find myself thinking of the good times with him and wonder if i can be in a true relationship with someone else again. well.. not always easy to cope with the end. :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by GAguy
I can't really answer as simple as this.
Even though I was the one who broke up, and even though I know it's better that way. The first weeks were pure hell. It was like going through cold turkey because I got addicted to that emotion of love. It caused some sleepless nights. I was going out flirting like crazy and it was very easy to get girls to sleep with. But no girl fascinated me, which was quite frustrating.

After about two month I didn't think about her often anymore and I felt a lot better, but when I did think of her I got enraged at the thought that she could feel like this to others than me. I had to really control myself when this came up.

With time it got better and better. After 6 months she didn't affect me at all I only thought of her as a relationship I once had for better or worse. But then one year later she wanted to meet up, because she will be moving away and wants to be friends etc. It was boring, but when she was kind of flirting with some guy (can't even tell if it really was or not) I got upset and felt very stupid for having invested emotions into this girl who falls for the cheapest of flirts; no way playful or especially appealing. Especially since usually I lose interest very easily in girls that are easy to seduce, whether they are pretty or not.

So yeah It didn't affect my life after six months. But to get completely over her it took more than a year.

I had those exact feelings towards her. Cold turkey is worse thing to go through. As we have conversations every day by phone or skype or msn, for literally 3-4 hours every single day, when she finally broke it off, I had so much free time and with nothing to fill it with, I spent all those hours thinking about her and what shes up too, getting jealous during.

I thought of doing what your'e ex did. I was wondering if it would be a good idea whether to meet up with her for like a coffee or something before I go off to uni just to clear the air. Nothing emotional attached, just a friendly 'How are you doing' and 'Goodbye'.

I just got over pretty quickly as I convinced myself that I came out of the relationship better off and that if she chose her current boyfriend over me that she must be deluded as I consider myself being better than him in every aspect (Biased I know, but if you read my previous comments on her boyfriend, you will see why)
Reply 44
Original post by Kikaykun
Shame to hear that :frown:

Hope you can move on quickly and find someone to is right for you!

thanks but im kinda over it now :smile:
Reply 45
Ahaha, wise words :smile:

But what happens if there is no pain anymore? Before, every time I thought of her and her new bf, I was sick with jealousy and my stomach turned. But now, I talk to her on occasions (don't make too much of a habit doing it though) and when I think about her, I don't have any emotions.

So technically speaking, I'm not living with the pain as I don't feel any pain :P

But I've always been a very logical person who doesn't like to mix a lot of emotions in these situations. It's the classic Head vs Heart argument and I'm a firm believer of the Head! The head knows best :smile:

So that may be the reason why I got over her fairly quickly and that she doesn't cause me pain anymore. But everybody is different and this might be the way I cope with things :biggrin:

Touche! :wink:
But are you at that stage where, if she and the guy she's with currently, decided to get married, you could be happy for her?

Emotions aren't black and white: if you couldn't, it's not a "bad" thing, or doesn't even mean you haven't gotten over her... And maybe the fact that you're not willing to mix emotions is a subconscious way of you preventing yourself from feeling pain!
I broke up with my ex a year ago (I seriously can't believe it's been that long - the time has gone very quickly) after 3 and a bit years and I honestly don't think of him anymore...and then I'll see something that reminds me of him and that's it, I'll be consumed with memories.
I don't regret ending it, it was a draining and unhealthy relationship, but it annoys me that I can't let go completely, especially since I've met someone else who I like. A lot.
Reply 47
Original post by AbzWayne
22 years and counting.... am almost 40 now!!! so you know.

Met this lass when I was 17, and was really happy, changed the way I lived my life back then, had to move away for a little while, but would head back to spend some time with her every 2 weeks for the long weekend. :colondollar: Was the first lass that I truly loved, and after I turned 18, she was also my first sexual partner!

At the time I was residing mainly at my mums house,( not cool ), and when it was time for me to move on, I foolishly came north to Aberdeen, mainly to see my dad!

I did go back down to see her after 3 months, but she had already moved on with a guy I know, ( one of my school mates ). Have not heard from her since, and still think about her all the damned time.

Have had some relationships since then, but am always comparing then to my "first"!

Anyhoo, time for me to have a quick relationship with my cooker and get supper on the go. :cool:

Hugz fae me to you all!

wooooow 22 yrs .. is it a real love or because of a first gf (i just wonder) ^^...

i hope my ex-bf wasn't my real love cause i foolishly beleive that
if it's a real love then my partner will love me for real (confusing right :biggrin:)

he cheated on me for 2 yrs & got marry with another girl :s-smilie:
i was suspecting something like that will happen
cause we were studying together our BSc degree then after graduation we went for our different hometowns.. we used to meet though
but then he started making excuses...!!

so i feed up and told him what i suspect and after sometime he admitted
although he's still trying to honey me (god u r married now, go on with ur life :mad:)

and that's basicly my story ><
Does the relationship with my hand count?

I cought it cheating on me... with my best friend :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by malaikah
Touche! :wink:
But are you at that stage where, if she and the guy she's with currently, decided to get married, you could be happy for her?

Emotions aren't black and white: if you couldn't, it's not a "bad" thing, or doesn't even mean you haven't gotten over her... And maybe the fact that you're not willing to mix emotions is a subconscious way of you preventing yourself from feeling pain!

Ahahah, funny thing, my ex was a bit of a dreamer :P

She completely fell for me within a couple of months of going out with me, proclaiming that she loved me and that she wanted to marry me and spend the rest of her life with me and having children with me within two months of us seeing each other. And I was like :eek: That was the main reason why she left me, as I didn't reciprocate the 'love' that she displayed towards me and tbh, I didn't want to commit to someone within a couple of months :/

So when she left me for the other guy and I was still speaking to her, she basically told me that she planned to marry her bf, have children, etc, the same thing she told me :biggrin: But this was within 2 WEEKS of her meeting her new bf.

So on that end, I wasn't too shocked or sad when she told me, as I kinda half expected her to say that anyways :rolleyes:

And your logic on emotions are completely right. I tend to not mix my emotions or investing too much emotion in someone, just in case if I get hurt, it wouldn't hurt too much in the long run :biggrin:
Reply 50
Dear God... she sounds damn clingy. She needs to develop herself as a person and learn to love herself instead of all out planning the rest of her life with another person!

And hey, that;'s understandable, but it's only throuhg getting hurt that we grow... if you don't allow yourself to fall, you may never find love! :smile:

Ahahah, funny thing, my ex was a bit of a dreamer :P

She completely fell for me within a couple of months of going out with me, proclaiming that she loved me and that she wanted to marry me and spend the rest of her life with me and having children with me within two months of us seeing each other. And I was like :eek: That was the main reason why she left me, as I didn't reciprocate the 'love' that she displayed towards me and tbh, I didn't want to commit to someone within a couple of months :/

So when she left me for the other guy and I was still speaking to her, she basically told me that she planned to marry her bf, have children, etc, the same thing she told me :biggrin: But this was within 2 WEEKS of her meeting her new bf.

So on that end, I wasn't too shocked or sad when she told me, as I kinda half expected her to say that anyways :rolleyes:

And your logic on emotions are completely right. I tend to not mix my emotions or investing too much emotion in someone, just in case if I get hurt, it wouldn't hurt too much in the long run :biggrin:
Reply 51
I voted 1 to 3 months cos that was when i finally stopped thinking about him all the time but its been 2 and a half years and if i think about it, it does still hurt and i do still cry about it sometimes
Reply 52
Hmm well with my ex, who I was with for three years, it took a long time for me to end it once I'd decided to end it...maybe about 6 months. I think a lot of that was 'getting over it' time. Then for maybe a month after I was a bit sad/going out all the time to forget about it. Liked someone new about 2 months after breaking up with ex.

Still think about ex from time to time, sad we aren't still friends but I guess that's my fault as I treated him badly at the end.
(edited 13 years ago)
Still going through that phase... Might be a while :frown:
My first "proper" relationship, it probably took me about 2-3 months to get over, and we only went out 3-4 months eek. It ended a bit messy without proper closure so I think that may have prolonged it.
My current relationship will be 5 years in the summer, and I don't even want to imagine how long it would take me to get over to be honest.
Reply 55
it took me a year to get over my first serious relationship, because we were engaged.
My first serious relationship ended 6 months ago now and yeah, I can go 2-3 days without thinking about him.

I think I'll always love him. I doubt he even thinks about me at all. He seemed to have moved on pretty quickly - being with a 16 year old shortly after our break up. He's blocked me on facebook, so I guess that he's well and truly 'moved on'!
Reply 57
Original post by malaikah
Dear God... she sounds damn clingy. She needs to develop herself as a person and learn to love herself instead of all out planning the rest of her life with another person!

And hey, that;'s understandable, but it's only throuhg getting hurt that we grow... if you don't allow yourself to fall, you may never find love! :smile:

Yeah, she is extremely clingy. She will drop everything for the person that she 'loves'. She's literally dropped her friends, her family (she got kicked out the house by her mother and is currently bunking in with her bf) and her education (she bunks off college to see her bf) to spend time with him.

Honestly, I've got no emotion towards her apart from wanting her to take care of herself, as if her boyfriend dumps her or breaks her heart, God help her.

And yes, I fell once and it hurt, so I shall try to limit the amount of times I fall :biggrin:
Reply 58
Original post by Lexi99
I voted 1 to 3 months cos that was when i finally stopped thinking about him all the time but its been 2 and a half years and if i think about it, it does still hurt and i do still cry about it sometimes

Wow that's really long time :frown:

But I do hope that you meet someone who will suppress those memories and then replace them with better ones :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Ilora-Danon
My first serious relationship ended 6 months ago now and yeah, I can go 2-3 days without thinking about him.

I think I'll always love him. I doubt he even thinks about me at all. He seemed to have moved on pretty quickly - being with a 16 year old shortly after our break up. He's blocked me on facebook, so I guess that he's well and truly 'moved on'!

Yeah I get what you mean. I tend to try not to think about her, but she just appears in my subconscious and it does get on my nerves :biggrin: At times I do wonder if they think about me at all, but if they don't and have moved on, it gives me more incentive to move on myself :smile:

And there will always be a part of me that will still care for her, but I guess I just have to let her go and not let her be a part of my life any longer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending