Turn on thread page Beta

New Car Insurance query watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi,

i currently have a car of which i am insured on, but i am looking to buy a new car (a, because it is on its last legs and b, because my current insurance premiums are through the roof)

I was wondering how it would work with my current insurance company when i get a new car? Would i be able to cancel my current car insurance policy, or would my current insurer expect me to continue to remain with them with the new car? Is there a get out fee for most insurance companys when you get a new car?

thanks in advance

I'm guessing you're paying monthly, in which case you'd be required to pay the rest of the year, but at the rate for your new car. If you want to cancel you'll have to pay their fees. Buying a new car doesn't get you out of a contract unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    I just phoned them up, gave my new reg, and they changed the car on the policy, worked out new price for remaining months based on different car, was like £2 cheaper a month. Wasn't difficult. I don't think you'd need to cancel the old one
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by InconspicuousGuy)
    hi,

i currently have a car of which i am insured on, but i am looking to buy a new car (a, because it is on its last legs and b, because my current insurance premiums are through the roof)

I was wondering how it would work with my current insurance company when i get a new car? Would i be able to cancel my current car insurance policy, or would my current insurer expect me to continue to remain with them with the new car? Is there a get out fee for most insurance companys when you get a new car?

thanks in advance
    When i got my new car a few months ago i just phoned up my insurance company that i was with at the time (tesco) and changed the car details on the insurance. I didnt get charged for it. I thought i would have to pay the difference (as the insurance for my new car was about £100 more expencive) or at the least i thought i would have to pay a charge for changing it. But it didnt which surprised me- i thought i would have do.
    Just phone them up and change the car on the insurance rather than cancelling the whole thing.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.