Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I was currently starting to look at businesses to start at home. I have a few ideas but I wanted to know your opinions.

1) a clothes boutique online where people can design their own clothes and I will get it made and if a design is good then it would be sold in bulk. How many of you guys would like a website like this please let me know. Thanks This is just a rough idea and it would be great to get some opinions. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I could see legal issues with basically getting people to design clothes, then you just selling them off in bulk. Although this would be a good idea for all of the "Rad" and "Retro" people who think it would be a good way to build a collection without having to make the clothes by hand.

ReputationRep:
    It's a nice idea but setting it up and marketing will be really hard. For example, you'll need someone to design an interface specifically for you to enable potential customers to design clothes and this will have high costs. The domain itself will probably be really cheap, but you'll also need people to be able to send you their designs. Which will probably require them to have log-ins etc, that will cost more.

If you know someone who can do the setup for you, then go for it, if not it'll sink before it floats...

ReputationRep:
    Why not design your own style of clothing? That's how Superdry started by going with a Japanese/retro theme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_miz angel)
    1) a clothes boutique online where people can design their own clothes and I will get it made and if a design is good then it would be sold in bulk. How many of you guys would like a website like this please let me know. Thanks This is just a rough idea and it would be great to get some opinions. Thanks
    I assume you're going to be getting somebody else to make the clothes? Or, do you have the space, equipment and skills to be making these to a professional standard yourself?

Who is this going to be marketed at? Casual users, who (as has been pointed out) will need some sort of web-based tool to help them design something workable? Or people who are willing to make their own drawings and send them to you, in which case how are you going to make it profitable when they could just be sending it directly to people who are making the clothes?

It is very expensive to make one-off items once you factor in labour costs and once you add some profit, don't you think a lot of your customers might decide to make the clothes themselves once they see the price you have to charge? You will also need to look at things like the distance selling regulations; I'm not sure how much they apply when a bespoke product is being made, but consider what will happen if a customer cancels an order or rejects it once it's sent to them.

ReputationRep:
    It's a winning idea, but not new:

www.threadless.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LethalBizzle)

www.threadless.com
    A whole different clothes design is not the same as getting soemthing printed on a shirt.. so no.. that is not the same business.

As for the idea, good in general, could propose a lot of legal issues.
    Aswell as the millions of 12 year old girls consistently sending designs in, would prove a big problem with filtering good from bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    A whole different clothes design is not the same as getting soemthing printed on a shirt.. so no.. that is not the same business.

As for the idea, good in general, could propose a lot of legal issues.
    Aswell as the millions of 12 year old girls consistently sending designs in, would prove a big problem with filtering good from bad.
    I'm not sure you realise what Threadless is but it's exactly the same principle as the OP is suggesting. The legal and marketing side of things is exactly the same, they don't just do T-Shirts either.

If you move away from something like Threadless and go for more niche, complicated design then you will have massive problems manufacturing these items in bulk.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure you realise what Threadless is but it's exactly the same principle as the OP is suggesting. The legal and marketing side of things is exactly the same, they don't just do T-Shirts either.

If you move away from something like Threadless and go for more niche, complicated design then you will have massive problems manufacturing these items in bulk.
    OP - Designing clothes, that is.. a whole piece of clothing down to design, fit, cut etc etc

Threadless - Getting a graphic printed on a t-shirt.

Not the same business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    OP - Designing clothes, that is.. a whole piece of clothing down to design, fit, cut etc etc

Threadless - Getting a graphic printed on a t-shirt.

Not the same business.
    It's not "getting a graphic printed on a t-shirt" though. People submit their designs for tees, tops, hoodies etc, they are voted on by the Threadless community and the best are put into mass production to the wider market. The legal issues you brought up in particular are exactly the same!

I'm not claiming them to be exactly the same business but it's a very good place for the OP to start don't you think?

ReputationRep:

www.threadless.com
    Okay I think I need to give a lot more detail lol my original quote didn't have much... Okay So basically I want a website where people can send in their designs (I know the marketing may be hard but I have plans for that). Once they send in the designs the clothes will only be made for them (which may be expensive I know however if their designs are good then with the permission from the designer I can sell in bulk to other people). And the manufacturing I am not going to be doing it but I know someone else who will do it for me for cheap. I hope this is more clearer. Ohh and the T-shirt idea I did think of it however I don't think there is a good USP. Anyways thanks for all your opinions and if there is any other idea for businesses to start from home please give me suggestions. thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.