Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Your view on Epiphone Guitars? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically I sold my acoutsic guitar last Autumn because I was going traveling and needed the money, I figured it would only gather dust over the several months I was away and that it would be better to sell it, take the money and buy a new one when I get back. So I sold it, hoofed it and now I want a new acoustic.

I know the Gibson Hummingbird is meant to be a great guitar (never played it, just judging by reviews/rep) but what about the Epiphone Humming Bird. I've seen it for around £220, and pretty sure I could get it for £200 somewhere.

But do you think the Gibson to Epiphone transition is too much of a quality drop and I'd be wasting money? That I'd be better paying more for a lower range Taylor?

I'm plan on playing the guitar before I buy which ever I choose. I just want to know you opinions.

ReputationRep:

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think it would be fine, I can't afford an original Gibson LP, so i've got an Epiphone, and from playing Gibson's version in store, I honestly can't tell the difference. In sound quality or aesthetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzyhickers)
    I think it would be fine, I can't afford an original Gibson LP, so i've got an Epiphone, and from playing Gibson's version in store, I honestly can't tell the difference. In sound quality or aesthetic.
    Thanks, I think I'll go for the hummingbird in that case. I'd love a Taylor 100/200 series but the humming bird (if you say shouldn't be bad) is much more affordable.

But don't you think that it would be an invaild comparison becuase your compare the Gibson to Epiphone electric tranistion and I'm talking about acoustic? Or would it not matter?

edit: Basically I've heard quite a few comments like yours in my other thread about there not being much difference in the two. But I'm not sure if the same goes for the acoustic.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Thanks, I think I'll go for the hummingbird in that case. I'd love a Taylor 100/200 series but the humming bird (if you say shouldn't be bad) is much more affordable.

But don't you think that it would be an invaild comparison becuase your compare the Gibson to Epiphone electric tranistion and I'm talking about acoustic? Or would it not matter?

edit: Basically I've heard quite a few comments like yours in my other thread about there not being much difference in the two. But I'm not sure if the same goes for the acoustic.
    I can speak for that too, one of my friends has a Epiphone accoustic, and I cannot tell the difference between them. And if the Hummingbird is more affordable, then it's a win/win!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzyhickers)
    I can speak for that too, one of my friends has a Epiphone accoustic, and I cannot tell the difference between them. And if the Hummingbird is more affordable, then it's a win/win!
    Fair enough, I think I'll go for the hummingbird. Thanks for the help.

Now I'd chosen the guitar, time to find somewhere that sells left hand.(I know it will be online easily, but I can't play it online). So the search comences....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Fair enough, I think I'll go for the hummingbird. Thanks for the help.

Now I'd chosen the guitar, time to find somewhere that sells left hand.(I know it will be online easily, but I can't play it online). So the search comences....
    No problem, best of luck and enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    I suddenly realised they were great guitars. I had an epiphany epiphone.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    It may be worth your time having a look at Tanglewood guitars.

I recently (last Thursday) bought a Tanglewood TF 8 and I'm chuffed to bits with it. Seriously good tone and a nice looking guitar as well. Obviously I can't comment yet on how well it'll last but Tanglewood are a respected brand and I expect it'll last a good while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    It may be worth your time having a look at Tanglewood guitars.

I recently (last Thursday) bought a Tanglewood TF 8 and I'm chuffed to bits with it. Seriously good tone and a nice looking guitar as well. Obviously I can't comment yet on how well it'll last but Tanglewood are a respected brand and I expect it'll last a good while.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking around. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for alternatives as left-handeds aren't easily found for decent prices (in-store at least.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.