Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey peeps,

Ok I really don't know much about this, I've just heard people mention it, so I may be way off I don't know.

I hear that it's possible to do ACLS courses as a medical student? That it's fairly costly and you have to do a lot of practice, but that it can be very valuable on your CV?

Anyone know who runs them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciaran88)
    Hey peeps,

Ok I really don't know much about this, I've just heard people mention it, so I may be way off I don't know.

I hear that it's possible to do ACLS courses as a medical student? That it's fairly costly and you have to do a lot of practice, but that it can be very valuable on your CV?

Anyone know who runs them?
    I could be wrong here, but I was under the impression you could get such training in NHS hospitals you work out when you're a doctor/member of staff and staff do not pay for these, contact the training department at the hospital you work at.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yeah I think you're right, but that's for F1s and up, I wonder if there's any value in doing it now? Either for OSCE practice or MTAS points or just general CV credit?

ReputationRep:
    i've not heard of ACLS, but from googling, it looks like like an american verision of ALS 'advanced life support' (might be wrong).

ALS is an extension of bls - basic life support, which you may get taught at medical school. i didn't, but as it was compulsory in f1 year, the hospital provided the teaching for bls. ALS is something compulsory higher up in training, but often the foundation school will give you money to put towards courses like this.

to be honest, i'm not sure there is much point doing it outside uni if you don't get the opportunity at uni. i mean it's useful clinically, but you don't get mtas points for it as such. if it was useful for your uni's osce exam, your school should provide some sort of life support training which would be similar. these courses also have to be revalidated every year or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairycakes)
    these courses also have to be revalidated every year or so.
    Every 4 apparently. ACLS/ALS are more or less synonyms I believe.

You might be right that it wouldn't be hugely useful, my uni (Peninsula) does teach a lot of ALS but it is assessed in competencies and what not but I like the idea of another certificate under my belt..

Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciaran88)
    Hmm, yeah I think you're right, but that's for F1s and up, I wonder if there's any value in doing it now? Either for OSCE practice or MTAS points or just general CV credit?
    Not really. You don't get any credit for it in FY applications, and you're assumed to have it thereafter. As for OSCE practice, I don't believe many medical schools have emergency stations to such a level.

ReputationRep:
    Well in that case I'll just do it if it's free lmao xD

ReputationRep:
    Is this the same thing?

ATLS - Royal Society of Medicine

ReputationRep:
    no that's trauma.

don't get it mixed up in an exam when you are referring to guidelines on managing a sick patient as i did in a mock and got a nice sarcastic comment from an examiner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Not really. You don't get any credit for it in FY applications, and you're assumed to have it thereafter. As for OSCE practice, I don't believe many medical schools have emergency stations to such a level.
    We had some ALS teaching from the hospital resus officer, half day lectures/practical covering airway up to guedal, we were told we had to get LMA teaching from anesthetics. We ran through the resus guidelines for shockable and non shockable rhythems, with basic drug dosages. I think the GMC say for medical school you have to have an awareness of ALS concepts, put to be qualified and actually deliver ALS you would have to go for the provider course. I think it was interesting, I think most of my colleagues could put in a guedal, read a basic rhythem.

ReputationRep:
    No. ATLS is Trauma, it's very different in scope and theory. You'll want to have it before applying to surgery or anaesthetic CT application. It's quite expensive at around £400, your study budget might not cover all of that. If you want to do it, I'd suggest you aim for October or November in your FY2 year. There's a list of courses on the RCS website.

You can only do ALS post qualification, you need to have done it by the end of FY2 and preferably before CT applications (for anything). If you do it as an FY2, your study budget will pay for it, if you do it in FY1 you will usually have to pay for it yourself. Your trust will probably run a couple of courses a year, e-mail their resus officer before you start (contacts are listed on the resus council website).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    No. ATLS is Trauma, it's very different in scope and theory. You'll want to have it before applying to surgery or anaesthetic CT application. It's quite expensive at around £400, your study budget might not cover all of that. If you want to do it, I'd suggest you aim for October or November in your FY2 year. There's a list of courses on the RCS website.

You can only do ALS post qualification, you need to have done it by the end of FY2 and preferably before CT applications (for anything). If you do it as an FY2, your study budget will pay for it, if you do it in FY1 you will usually have to pay for it yourself. Your trust will probably run a couple of courses a year, e-mail their resus officer before you start (contacts are listed on the resus council website).
    Ah I see, I understand.

The reason I ask is that the provider of an SSM on trauma here at Peninsula sends one student on the ATLS course each year if they show promise etc. I wonder if there's any point in me doing it now, particularly as I have no desire to go into either anaesthetics or surgery xD I just enjoy ATLS and thought it might be another little accolade to hang on the CV.

EDIT: By the way, and this is off-topic, but I notice you went to Barts. Did you ever go to those Feather does Finals lectures? I'm watching the streams now, he's really very very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    In 2009 you could do it pre-qualification - Oxford were putting all their final years through it. Hopefully my study budget this year will pay for the EPLS because my ALS is still valid!

ReputationRep:
    and 2010 you could also do it before you qualified - cardiff also put all their final yrs through it

ReputationRep:
    i was once paid to be one of the scenarios in an atls examination. I found I have a natural flare for acting like a thug that's been in a fight.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.