Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Strange pain. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So before you all tell me to go see my GP, I just rang them and they don't have any apointments for a week and I have to try again tomoz to book one eughh.

Anyway, for the past week or so (10 days) I have gradually had a pain on the left side of my waist, sort of next to my ribs lower down. I first noticed it when I layed on that side to sleep and it twinged. it has since got much worse and hurts constanly now, more so when i cough/lay down.

It is very sensitive to touch and im pretty sure i can feel something there. Mum says i just pulled a muscle, but I havent done anything like that and would have noticed.

Anyone know what this could be? Im pretty scared that its cancer or somin.
    :mad:

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you might have trapped a nerve. I did the same thing over Christmas from coughing with a cold except it was just under my rib cage in the middle, and what you've described sounds pretty much the same as I had.

If it is a trapped nerve, you can try a hot bath and massaging the area (even though it will hurt doing that) to help loosen up the area around it to release it. You could also take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen.

ReputationRep:
    i've pulled muscles in my sleep before, so its possible your mums right :/ who knows though

if it gets really bad try book an emergency appointment at your GPs or just go to A&E and see what they say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    It sounds like you might have trapped a nerve. I did the same thing over Christmas from coughing with a cold except it was just under my rib cage in the middle, and what you've described sounds pretty much the same as I had.

If it is a trapped nerve, you can try a hot bath and massaging the area (even though it will hurt doing that) to help loosen up the area around it to release it. You could also take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen.

Ooo that could make sense, I had a very bad cough, though I thought it would have gone by now if it was?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach [shikari])
    Ooo that could make sense, I had a very bad cough, though I thought it would have gone by now if it was?

Thanks
    Nah, mine lasted for weeks. It's a really awkward place to have a trapped nerve; I think it tends to be more of a pain and last longer than if you did it in a usual place like your neck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Nah, mine lasted for weeks. It's a really awkward place to have a trapped nerve; I think it tends to be more of a pain and last longer than if you did it in a usual place like your neck.

I have had a trapped nerve before, in my back and it was real painful, lasted a few days, but didn't feel like this? Though I supose it is in a different place.

ReputationRep:
    Could be a number of things, make sure and get it checked out. I had something similar, turned out to be pancreatitis :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.