Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Always feel extremely anxious/worried before meeting up with a friend... watch

Announcements

It's really horrible because I'm pushing myself out of my friends lives and it makes me feel very lonely and depressed. Has anyone experienced this problem with anxiety before? Is it just part of Generalised Anxiety Disorder?

ReputationRep:
    Can you be more detailed i don't really understand what you mean give an example.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. This is very common for me when I am in a depressive episode. I always feel like although I really want to have a social life I am too anxious to do this. Is there any reason why you feel anxious or anything that particularly worries you? If it is very difficult for you , have you thought about seeing your doctor. Some form of counselling or therapy or medication could work.

Stay safe.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I've noticed there are so many people on TSR fighting depression.
    It's not common to feel anxious before meeting a friend, no. Have you any reason to? Probably not right?
    As Barney Stinson would say: Stop being anxious and become awesome instead.

I think a lot of pople with social anxiey flock to tsr.
    i used to be very bad with this. to the point where i'd always cancel, or put off doing stuff. not cause i didn't like the people, just cause i couldn't handle the pressure of conversation, feeling awkward, self conscious, trying to be interesting, knowing i'd eithr embarass myselfor not say a wordat all. it terrified me.

now, i still get nervous, but to a much lesser extent. i grew to that level o comfortableness with my friends, a gained a little bit more confidence, so i'm happy just to stay silent, or speak when the time is right. i listen and smile a lot. in some nervous occasions i talk stupidly too much, but my friends don't mind. i do lapse sometimes, and even wen as far as to miss several lectures and seminars this semester just cause i got too anxious.
    force yourself to do it. wear your favourite clothes etc, so you feel good about yourself, helps with confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    As Barney Stinson would say: Stop being anxious and become awesome instead.
    What a guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paper-wings)
    What a guy
    Absolutely

OP, I suggest you get inspired by this video and make it your philosophy, true story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gqYAuFvtXM

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.