Computing coursework cheaters Watch

This discussion is closed.
Dilemma
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
What would you do if you were doing your best, working really hard on coursework for the OCR Computing project, but four people in your class have got their coursework of the Internet?

Would you report them, do nothing, have a word with them or what?

They will get good grades and I might not. Should I cheat as well, just to make things fair?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dilemma)
What would you do if you were doing your best, working really hard on coursework for the OCR Computing project, but four people in your class have got their coursework of the Internet?

They will get good grades and I might not. Should I cheat as well, just to make things fair?
No, they will suicide when they start to work and can't do a ****.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

The school should figure it out. You could send an anonymous tip-off to your ICT support e-mail address (well my school has one anyway) featuring only the link to where they got it from and hope the head of ICT has a look and finds out the courseworks look oddly familiar.

Don't cheat yourself!

Anyway, I'm sure they have systems in place now for detecting courseworks off the net and disqualifying the people who are submitting them.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

What ever you do don't chat that would just make things worse. If these people are not your mates and you can get away with it I would report them because what they are doing is technicaly ilegal and imoral they do not deserve to pass. You can also relax in the knowledge that you will do far better in life than they ever will.
gayboy09
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Nothing. Why should you be concerned about what they do?

The only reason why you wont get a good grade is because of lack of work/retardation. There is no excuse.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ooooh, i hate cheaters... a girl in my A2 psych class stole her best friends cw, copied it then tried to make out like her friend had cheated from her work!!!!! Sufficed to say she got caught out... last thing I heard she'd beaten up a policeman and was on bail. she was such a lovely young lady...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gayboy09)
Nothing. Why should you be concerned about what they do?

The only reason why you wont get a good grade is because of lack of work/retardation. There is no excuse.
Have you ever heared of principles?
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Have you ever heared of principles?
He has a point though.

I'd hope the other people get caught, and work as hard as I could on the coursework myself.
Yeright
Report 15 years ago
"Anyway, I'm sure they have systems in place now for detecting courseworks off the net and disqualifying the people who are submitting them."

10 million exams taken a year - when did you last hear of an Exam Board finding out about a GCSE or A Level student cheating? There official line is that they have no evidence of cheating - of course, if you do not open your eyes you will never see.

No one gets caught cheating for coursework. And it is so easy to do on the Internet now. If you cheat on your computer coursework, if gives you time to do other things. Does it matter if you cheat if you are going on to do a Business degree? Isn't it good preparation for the business?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Yeright)
"Anyway, I'm sure they have systems in place now for detecting courseworks off the net and disqualifying the people who are submitting them."

10 million exams taken a year - when did you last hear of an Exam Board finding out about a GCSE or A Level student cheating? There official line is that they have no evidence of cheating - of course, if you do not open your eyes you will never see.

No one gets caught cheating for coursework. And it is so easy to do on the Internet now. If you cheat on your computer coursework, if gives you time to do other things. Does it matter if you cheat if you are going on to do a Business degree? Isn't it good preparation for the business?
Well its hardly headline news is it? student gets caught for cheating. People do get done for cheating. At college my tutor failed a group of students for cheating, two people were chucked of my course last year for plaguarism. Also cheaters will always get found out when they get a job or what ever. In my eyes cheating is like stealing because you are taking the credit for somthing you have not done.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Yeright)

Sorry! I don't have a clue really. I just heard that they could tell somehow if people had taken courseworks off the net.

I know there were a couple of internet courseworks in my year for History, and the teacher could spot them because he noticed it didn't seem like their writing style, or something like that. And they might have been stupid enough to both use the same coursework.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Well its hardly headline news is it? student gets caught for cheating. People do get done for cheating. At college my tutor failed a group of students for cheating, two people were chucked of my course last year for plaguarism. Also cheaters will always get found out when they get a job or what ever. In my eyes cheating is like stealing because you are taking the credit for somthing you have not done.
It is, yeah.

I think cheating cheats nobody but yourself. Like, what happens if you're a pretty crap student but a cheated piece of work gets you put into the top set and you can't manage at all? You totally fail.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'd report them

If they were trying to get away with it they should have kept it a secret - allowing me to find out when they know I've worked hard on the coursework they're cheating on just shows they aren't trying very hard to get away with it.

By not keeping their cheating secret they're demonstrating not only are they lazy buggers who can't do their own work but they're crap at cheating too.
maljosh
Report 15 years ago
I wouldn't report them... computing coursework is such a thing you just can't cheat! Are you supposed to invent all the formulas yourself? Of coz you will copy everything from a good book and getting project from the internet is quite the same... technical stuff is only 12/65 marks (AQA A2) will they make all the reports themselves? Or have they got the reports as well? If they have i would ask them to give me those reports,just to have a look, may be you could learn something from them...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads