Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered places at CoL for Birmingham and London - have accepted Birmingham with the Bar Council.

I havent paid the deposit yet and am thinking of only actually confirming with CoL when I have a better idea of pupillage/scholarship in June/July.

Is it too risky leaving it til then or should I just pay up and risk losing £350?

ReputationRep:
    How good are your academics / CV?

ReputationRep:
    Does your offer not have an expiry date for your acceptance? I only had a couple of weeks in which to accept my LPC place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st_files)
    I have been offered places at CoL for Birmingham and London - have accepted Birmingham with the Bar Council.

I havent paid the deposit yet and am thinking of only actually confirming with CoL when I have a better idea of pupillage/scholarship in June/July.

Is it too risky leaving it til then or should I just pay up and risk losing £350?
    I think you're likely but not certain to be able to get a place then. What made you choose Birmingham over London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resipsaloq)
    I think you're likely but not certain to be able to get a place then. What made you choose Birmingham over London?
    Its £3500 cheaper, will cost me less to travel to & the barristers I have spoken to say it makes no difference.

My academics are poor but are 15yrs old so my commercial experience since is my selling point.

I basically dont want to waste £350 if CoL will let me on the course in July.

ReputationRep:
    Its £3500 cheaper, will cost me less to travel to & the barristers I have spoken to say it makes no difference.

My academics are poor but are 15yrs old so my commercial experience since is my selling point.

BPTC provider does make no difference so deffo best to go cheapest if you can.

Don't know re: losing place depends how popular course is but people do drop out so i would say its more likely you can join the course than not. I had letters throughout the summer from the providers i rejected asking me to switch the year I did it, so it would have been fine in my year.

What is your commercial experience? I remeber you posting you want to do family law so is it directly relevant to this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    BPTC provider does make no difference so deffo best to go cheapest if you can.

Don't know re: losing place depends how popular course is but people do drop out so i would say its more likely you can join the course than not. I had letters throughout the summer from the providers i rejected asking me to switch the year I did it, so it would have been fine in my year.

What is your commercial experience? I remeber you posting you want to do family law so is it directly relevant to this?
    No, not relevant at all....my experience is in advertising/media.

ReputationRep:
    No, not relevant at all....my experience is in advertising/media.
    So without pi*ssing on your parade how is it your selling point?

ReputationRep:
    The job I was in gave me certain skills/experiences that I think hold me in good stead for life at the bar (albeit in a very minor way).

ReputationRep:

How poor is 'poor'? Are we talking about a 2:2 in an academic degree 15 years ago, or a 3rd in media studies 15 years ago? That would make the difference between a remote chance and no chance at all.

ReputationRep:
    2:1 in Media 15 yrs ago...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    So without pi*ssing on your parade how is it your selling point?
    Just noticed this. I agree, how is 15 years of commercial media experience any help towards family law? It may if you wanted to join a commercial/media set, but the academics for those would have to be outstanding. Spending 15 years serving drinks behind a bar would be just as good experience for family law as media. Best option would be to find a local family solicitors, settle down there for a few years, then think about moving across to the Bar.

ReputationRep:
    2:1 in Media 15 yrs ago...
    Well now I am confused, lol. 2:1 isn't poor. Your choice of degree might be, but your actual grade is rather standard at the Bar. Maybe someone else can offer advice on how relevant degree subject is, as I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForKicks)
    Well now I am confused, lol. 2:1 isn't poor. Your choice of degree might be, but your actual grade is rather standard at the Bar. Maybe someone else can offer advice on how relevant degree subject is, as I have no idea.
    Well I was thinking of the subject choice allied with lousy A levels 20 years ago (DDE!)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.