Turn on thread page Beta

NHS Jaw Surgery watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    I needed geinoplasty done too, best thing I ever did; stronger side profile.
    So did you have two surgeries then, one for the jaw and one for the chin?
    And did the geniosplasty give a more drastic change compared to the jaw surgery?

Thank you for the reply, if it's the best thing you ever did then it's making me feel better about having it done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah04H)
    And did the geniosplasty give a more drastic change compared to the jaw surgery?

Thank you for the reply, if it's the best thing you ever did then it's making me feel better about having it done.
    To be honest, I was an extremely complicated case, and it was highlighted by having 3 operations.

1) SARPE (correction of a narrow jaw)
    2) Bi max (jaw surgery)
    3) Geinoplasty; removal of the mandible plates and pins (bottom jaw) and septorhinoplasty.

I basically had a class 3 bite (open, reversed over jet and cross bite), along with a deviated septum and recessed chin. My face was also very asymmetric because my bottom jaw slanted to one side.

So the changes for me by the end of it all was pretty dramatic. I look a lot better now and a lot happier.

Having bi max caused the jawline to become more defined, due to the jawline being in the right position. However, due to my chin, the bottom jaw still had a sunken appearance, giving a very roundish look.

Fixing the recessed chin, basically gave my jaw a lot more prominence as the chin sticks out a bit more now. Also, from the side profile, my jaw looks a lot more defined. Making my side profile stronger.

I will PM you photos so that you can see the changes it is likely to make for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    To be honest, I was an extremely complicated case, and it was highlighted by having 3 operations.

1) SARPE (correction of a narrow jaw)
    2) Bi max (jaw surgery)
    3) Geinoplasty; removal of the mandible plates and pins (bottom jaw) and septorhinoplasty.

I basically had a class 3 bite (open, reversed over jet and cross bite), along with a deviated septum and recessed chin. My face was also very asymmetric because my bottom jaw slanted to one side.

So the changes for me by the end of it all was pretty dramatic. I look a lot better now and a lot happier.

Having bi max caused the jawline to become more defined, due to the jawline being in the right position. However, due to my chin, the bottom jaw still had a sunken appearance, giving a very roundish look.

Fixing the recessed chin, basically gave my jaw a lot more prominence as the chin sticks out a bit more now. Also, from the side profile, my jaw looks a lot more defined. Making my side profile stronger.

I will PM you photos so that you can see the changes it is likely to make for you.
    Thank you for the reply and for the photos, they look great!
    I can see that it will be worth it now, so thank you so much for all of your replies, they've helped me a lot
    I think i'll have the surgery now.

ReputationRep:

When I was considering having jaw surgery I was told I would have both procedures done in the same operation.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply and for the photos, they look great!
    I can see that it will be worth it now, so thank you so much for all of your replies, they've helped me a lot
    I think i'll have the surgery now.
    Glad it helped

If you have any questions, do let me know. I can understand how daunting it can be due to others not being able to relate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    When I was considering having jaw surgery I was told I would have both procedures done in the same operation.
    My surgeon said that too. But a month before the surgery he said it would be in two parts so he could see more accurately how far forward the chin needed to be moved because the swelling would be gone and he could look before the surgery.
    Different surgeons do different things. Although my surgeon is thinking what's best for the long term, it means i have to have two surgeries when he could have just done one.
    Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    My surgeon said that too. But a month before the surgery he said it would be in two parts so he could see more accurately how far forward the chin needed to be moved because the swelling would be gone and he could look before the surgery.
    Different surgeons do different things. Although my surgeon is thinking what's best for the long term, it means i have to have two surgeries when he could have just done one.
    Oh well.
    well done for being brave enough to contemplate both. i couldn't face one operation.

I'm going to have underbite surgery in 1 week (Tuesday 30th).

Freshers week begins in about 6 weeks.

Can you drink alcohol?, Will I have a normal chewwy diet? Any significant swelling? Can I get back to playing Tennis before that time, or will I have to wait?

Speech? Is that different? Does your voice change?

So many questions D:

If anyone could answer from experience that would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Some surgeons do it separately, others do the chin and jaw in the same op.

The reason why some surgeons do it separately, is because they feel that by doing it that way the decrease the risk of nerve damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm going to have underbite surgery in 1 week (Tuesday 30th).

Freshers week begins in about 6 weeks.

Can you drink alcohol?, Will I have a normal chewwy diet? Any significant swelling? Can I get back to playing Tennis before that time, or will I have to wait?

Speech? Is that different? Does your voice change?

So many questions D:

Everyone recovers differently, but from my experience:

1) You can definitely not drink alcohol

2) You will be on a liquid diet, either elastics will be holding your jaw in its new position, or your jaw will be wired shut.

3) You will be swollen like a hamster. This subsides after 2 months

4) You will have to wait. I lost a lot of stamina/weight and strength. Lost 1 stone and a half.

5) One thing you may experience is finding it weird to pronounce things once your bite is in its new position.

You should ask your surgeon these questions.

ReputationRep:
    hi im currently 15 and my orthodontist has also advised me to have jaw surgery to correct my underbite. I've been told about this since 2 years ago, and after a check up last week, he said i should wait out one more year so that my jaw has developed fully, and then I will get braces. I will be 16 by then.

I just want to ask those who have gone through the process, how old were you when you had the braces fixed? and how long for, until surgery. Is this time period the same for all, or does it depend on how fast your teeth straighten? also how long do you need braces after surgery?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I need some advice.

When I was about 16/17 I was offered surgery to fix an overbite of about 10mm but I declined. I'd never noticed I had an overbite and wasn't self conscious of it. They also said I had a bit of a cross bite so it'd be double jaw surgery. It freaked me out and I just didn't think I needed it.

I had my braces and now have straight teeth but over the years I've become so self conscious of it. I can't tell whether it's just me or whether it is really noticeable. I constantly debate what to do, whether to go back and ask for surgery or is it too late as I've already had braces?

Also if I enquired now would I be able to have it next summer?

I'd love if I could send someone photos and see if they honestly think I need it...

advice please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelly_kelly)
    I just want to ask those who have gone through the process, how old were you when you had the braces fixed? and how long for, until surgery. Is this time period the same for all, or does it depend on how fast your teeth straighten? also how long do you need braces after surgery?
    Haven't had it done yet, but I'll be having braces the day before my 17th birthday (lucky me), and will have both jaws broken in summer 2015. Teeth will probably be ready before that, but that would obviously be right in the way of A Levels. Orthodontist said will need braces 18 months before and 6 months after surgery, or average.
    Hope this helped. (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

One year ago I was in exactly this position apart from I had the surgery about 4 weeks before you have. I started uni in September and was absolutely fine, I looked different but obviously my new friends didn't know how I looked before. I was eating normally and my speech was fine and no swelling too.

However, you're 4 weeks behind me so you might still not be fully healed but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. You can drink alcohol yes but just have to be super careful as falling over on your face would be very painful.

Since you're young (I assume), you will heal fairly quickly. Single jaw surgery has a much quicker healing time than double also!!

Inbox me if you have any more questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metric)

Also if I enquired now would I be able to have it next summer?

I'd love if I could send someone photos and see if they honestly think I need it...

advice please!
    The process for jaw surgery is an extremely long one, I had braces then had them off then new ones on to prepare for the surgery that make you look worse at first which took 18months before I was allowed the surgery!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelly_kelly)
    I had braces first fitted at about 12years old then on an off until 16 and then new ones to prepare for surgery 18mnths before I had the surgery which I had at 18. It's not about straightening your teeth, you look worse at first because they want to position your teeth to look better after surgery, so before is irrelevent. I had braces for 6months after the surgery and still wear a night retainer 1yr later

Inbox me if you have any further questions!!

ReputationRep:
    I hope this goes well for you OP. GL if you choose to do it, for your health and mental health too.

How can you tell if you have an over-bite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han4492)
    I had the surgery for an underbite last July. Because the doctor did such a great job my brother (who is 23) is getting it done as well as he has a worse bite than I did but never did anything about it. He is paying for the braces BUT he is getting the operation under the NHS because he said it is psychologically affecting his life. TBH it's a bit farfetched but he is getting it for free so worth a go for you as well!

I found my time in hospital horrible, i just wanted to go home. Mashed potato was a life saver as I was soooo hungry and there is only so many high calorie shakes I can take! The pain.....there wasn''t any. I had a few surgery complications so this increased me uncomfortability but i never remember the actual jaw hurting (and i skipped my meds quite a lot as i dont like using drugs too much). Just get a lot of films lined up as otherwise time will pass very slowly! My swelling took a long time to go down...i swear it is still going down. But the end result is so worth it!

I remeber being really upset the week after it and crying and wishing i'd never done it but now im so happy and i can bite damn it!!!!
    Do you know how much your brother paid for the treatment?

I'm currently on the waiting list to have braces and surgery. I was told the NHS would pay for it, but the main reasons (if not only) is cosmetic. I told them i didn't like the appearance of it and it really affected my confidence because i feels like i can't smile. I beginning to think i would have to pay for it when the time comes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Afternoon all, I've been reading this thread and it has helped a lot. Basically, I have a under bite, one which got slightly worse after the age of around 10. More, recently (meaning around 1-2 years now), I've been considering Jaw surgery, however I have a few questions which I hope people could answer. I'm due to join a new Dentist as my old one wasn't the best and I felt that he wasn't being honest with me. From start to finish how long did it take for you to have the surgery and what sort of waiting times did you have for the waiting list?. I had braces when I was younger and would prefer (as I'm sure many people would - not to have them again, as I hear/read that it makes your appearance worse (particularly if the wait is 18 months). My face isn't symmetrical and I despise my photographs being taken as you can't hide it. I am extremely self-conscious of it and would like to start the ball rolling if I can to get the surgery. I'm over 18, so would I still be able to have it done via the NHS or would this be a private matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry that this post is all blocked up, can't seem to space them out - Laptop won't let me. Cheers.

Afternoon all, I will keep this short and sweet, but would appreciate any comment at all. I have a under bite and for the last few years, I've been considering Jaw surgery. My jaw does not cause my any problems eating or generally speaking, however when I sleep, I tend to bite down therefore causing headaches and sometimes a sore jaw in the morning. I am incredibly unhappy with my jaw as I feel it doesn't fit my face, and it also appears to make my face unsymmetrical, therefore I hate having pictures taken of me. I was just wondering to all of you who have had surgery (particularly Under bite surgery) how long did it the entire process take and how bad was your under bite before? I've heard that the braces before surgery make your appearance worse? Is this true, I appreciate that whilst being given the opportunity to have jaw surgery would literally be life changing - the prospect of having braces which in turn could make my appearance worse is slightly off-putting. Any help and answers would be gratefully appreciated. All the best.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.