Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, i wasnt very clear on my first msg, ive had my braces on for nearly 2 years, so she is referring back to my surgeon as the teeth are in right place now for surgery? Will that still take a year?!!!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've had my braces on since January in preparation for jaw surgery next summer to correct an underbite. I'm a bit unsure about whether or not it is a good idea to start university the same year; a few months after surgery. I'm a bit worried considering the long waiting list; what if I end up with a late August surgery date? :s

Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by large1878)
    Sorry, i wasnt very clear on my first msg, ive had my braces on for nearly 2 years, so she is referring back to my surgeon as the teeth are in right place now for surgery? Will that still take a year?!!!

Thanks
    i think mine gave me a date the first time he saw me again which was only about a month ahead

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that I'm getting my brace off in November, I've been following this for a while and I've confused myself. I have had my brace on for 2 year and 2 month in November and I will be getting the Jaw surgery afterwards, I was wondering if after I've just getting them off I will have to have them on for another 18 month to get them ready for the surgery or will I just have the surgical brace with the hooks? I'd appreciate it if someone replied to me?

ReputationRep:
    Also has anyone had the surgery done in the north east?

ReputationRep:
    Having both jaws broken for an underbite in a few years and getting my braces next week.
    I know it has to look worse before it gets better, but how bad will I look when my teeth get straighter? Obviously not going to back out, but I'm dreading the photos that'll be taken of me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had a under bite corrected with jaw operation it really was not pleasant and you will have to sleep propped up for a bit I had trouble sleeping like that you will not feel like doing anything for a few days it will be 6 weeks before you feel ready to go outside or to the shops and even then not for too long it is better if you return home for recovery i would almost say have it done after uni (the op) they send you home with a lode of pain killers but i found crushed up Andin in soup the best painkiller ever keep away from the morphean it made me feel more ill also the comedown from the Ansticeic is afawl It it me when i was waking supported by mum and dad from the car to the house i taught the world was ending. I was glad i had it done though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoshi56)
    Hi

I've had my braces on since January in preparation for jaw surgery next summer to correct an underbite. I'm a bit unsure about whether or not it is a good idea to start university the same year; a few months after surgery. I'm a bit worried considering the long waiting list; what if I end up with a late August surgery date? :s

Thanks
    Well most people on here have had the op but as you are going a few moth afterwards it should all be good it 6 weeks to recover

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoshi56)
    Hi

Thanks
    I was in exactly the same situation and it was absolutely fine. My new friends looked at old photos of me and we're freaked out but other than that things were okay. I was a bit worried at first with playing sport and drinking lots incase I fell over but I had a full 6 wks before starting uni. I wasn't back to my normal self completely regarding eating but it didn't matter as no one really knew. Inbox me if you like

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit worried that my jaw surgery is going to clash with uni! I'm supposed to be starting uni next year, but I haven't even had my braces put on yet, is it even possible to get the surgery done before September? I'm not sure how long you're supposed to have braces on for before surgery..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasagneee)
    I'm a bit worried that my jaw surgery is going to clash with uni! I'm supposed to be starting uni next year, but I haven't even had my braces put on yet, is it even possible to get the surgery done before September? I'm not sure how long you're supposed to have braces on for before surgery..
    normally about 18 months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    normally about 18 months
    Nooooooooooooo Thank you though ahah

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've had braces on since March, my orthodontist said I should be able to have my double jaw surgery by next summer before uni (I'm currently on a gap year, didn't make my grades unfortunately). I have an underbite, not sure how big it is but I can stick my whole tongue through the gap so I'd say it's pretty severe. The braces have definitely opened up the gap by quite a few mm since my teeth are now uprighted instead of slanted back. Just wondering how much appearance changes post-surgery with a large gap if anyone has a similar bite to mine. Also, how has everyones speech changed post-surgery because I currently have a lisp and was hoping this would be corrected also. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouble21)
    Hi

I've had braces on since March, my orthodontist said I should be able to have my double jaw surgery by next summer before uni (I'm currently on a gap year, didn't make my grades unfortunately). I have an underbite, not sure how big it is but I can stick my whole tongue through the gap so I'd say it's pretty severe. The braces have definitely opened up the gap by quite a few mm since my teeth are now uprighted instead of slanted back. Just wondering how much appearance changes post-surgery with a large gap if anyone has a similar bite to mine. Also, how has everyones speech changed post-surgery because I currently have a lisp and was hoping this would be corrected also. Thanks.
    I had the same problem my operation fixed the lisp it's a bit hard at first you have to work at it but now instead of saying the thew i can say the sea

ReputationRep:
    Hi

You will look better.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh right... Is it also that the larger your under bite is, the more different you will look after surgery?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh and don't forget the swelling that,s a ***** but it goes down in the end and as for the pain well it hurts a little but it's not too bad in Hospidle they will give you morphine DO NOT TAKE IT it will make you sick. also the come down from that and the anstetic is a killer I really felt like i was going to die and then the next day i wished i had. it gets better after that you can lounge around watching tv all day and when you feel ready getting someone to take you in to town is an intresting experiance

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh right... Is it also that the larger your under bite is, the more different you will look after surgery?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am having surgery in the summer, I work part time. How long will I need off work? Or would it be impossible if its like 6 weeks recovery time? I'm guessing I would have to quit, right? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Just read this entire thread as my orthodontist recommended surgery for my lower jaw, could not see why she felt I needed it..until I looked into it further. This thread has been so helpful!! Don't have my braces yet, still in research stage with a month to decide before next consultation.

(Original post by STARFLEET)
    Hi,

I am having surgery in the summer, I work part time. How long will I need off work? Or would it be impossible if its like 6 weeks recovery time? I'm guessing I would have to quit, right? :confused:
    I wouldn't be quitting your job, surely you should be entitled to Sick leave? I work part time and when the time comes i'll just explain why I need time off and get a Drs note for the recovery period. You can keep renewing it until you feel ready to return.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.