Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STARFLEET)
    Hi,

I am having surgery in the summer, I work part time. How long will I need off work? Or would it be impossible if its like 6 weeks recovery time? I'm guessing I would have to quit, right? :confused:
    I was knocked out for 6 months following bi max surgery.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

i saw my surgeon again for first time in a year, i have been penciled in for my op for march. I have open bite, he is moving top and bottom. I didnt really ask any questions as it was a joint clinic and too many people in the room!
    Does anyone know how often i will see my surgeon before the op? I havent actually said many things to him because i felt silly with loads of people being there!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 days post lower jaw surgery, going back to uni on the 12th January does anyone know how long it too before they were going out to bars etc? I'll be 6 weeks post op then and I'm hoping I can still go to the SU! (typical student)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethhcxx)
    I'm 18 days post lower jaw surgery, going back to uni on the 12th January does anyone know how long it too before they were going out to bars etc? I'll be 6 weeks post op then and I'm hoping I can still go to the SU! (typical student)
    hmm well you should be able to go out by the time you return just remember you will still be a little swollen

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    I was wondering (and hoping) if people still used this.
    I had twin block retainers at 11 and just didn't wear them and gave up.

Went to the orthodontist today (I'm 16 and a half) and she's going to refer me to the Consultant to see if I need the surgery, but with an 8mm over bite, I think and hope I will.

So I have a couple questions, if anyone could answer that'd be amazinggg.

1) If anyone was refered from the orthodontist to a consultant how long did it take before you saw a consultant.

2) Once it was decided you needed braces and the op, how long did it take for you to get braces?

3) How long did you have braces for until the op started.

4) How long did you have braces after the op?

^ Thank you guys so much! I know I'm jumping the gun a bit but I want the surgery, my overbite bothers and hurts me...

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd let everyone know. I had complications - my jaw relapsed into its old position, so I may need bottom jaw surgery again. As a result my smile with my teeth is not great.

If you plan to get jaw surgery done , be AWARE that you may not get the ideal bite. The jaw muscle has a tendency to revert back to its old position.

ReputationRep:
    quick question, does anyone know if all jaw surgery requires braces?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes - they use your teeth as a guide when resetting your bite

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty sure it does as your teeth need to be in the right place before they can operate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    yes - they use your teeth as a guide when resetting your bite
    oh ok. it's just the one I will have won't be for my bite, at least I don't think it is. Also does anyone know how long roughly would I need braces before op?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    oh ok. it's just the one I will have won't be for my bite, at least I don't think it is. Also does anyone know how long roughly would I need braces before op?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only your orthodontist can answer that.

Varies.

ReputationRep:
    Only your orthodontist can answer that.

Varies.
    ok cool thanks. im due to see the surgeon and orthodontist in the next few weeks.

also final question, what's the recovery like? im just concerned about not being able to talk and pain really...

ReputationRep:
    ok cool thanks. im due to see the surgeon and orthodontist in the next few weeks.

also final question, what's the recovery like? im just concerned about not being able to talk and pain really...
    horrible

Prepare to be eating porridge through a syringe.

ReputationRep:
    horrible

Prepare to be eating porridge through a syringe.
    oh ok

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm going 15 years old this week and the orthodontist said I have to wait for my braces and operation,how old was you guys when you got yours?it really gets me down and I just want it sorting asap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebsgracexo)
    Hi I'm going 15 years old this week and the orthodontist said I have to wait for my braces and operation,how old was you guys when you got yours?it really gets me down and I just want it sorting asap!
    A day before my 17th! I'm 90% sure (correct me if I'm wrong) you have to be 18 to have the operation except for rare circumstances. You have braces for 18 months prior to the operation so will be 16/17 when you get them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ive had my braces for 3.5 years and im finally having my surgery on the 18th of feb
    was originally suppose to have it on the 19th November but I was really anaemic (Haemoglobin was 7) my surgeon wasn't comfortable doing it.
    Ive got a open bite, over bite and a small cross bite so I'm looking forward to a normal bite. I know the recovery process is long but how long would I need of work? I told them 4 weeks? I'm working as a nurse assistant

ReputationRep:
    I am so pleased to have found this thread - so helpful. I am due to have surgery soon, just about to see the surgeon to set a date... eek! I have had braces for 18 months now and am looking forward to getting the surgery over and done with. I am scared of the recovery period, but comforted by the posts I have read, and knowing that the pain/discomfort/starvation is short lived definitely helps. I am a little nervous about how I will look afterwards, as I am relatively happy with my appearance - having lived with it for nearly 40 years.... however, am looking forward to not having the pain anymore when I eat.

For those of you asking about paying for treatment after the age of 18 - don't worry, if your treatment is considered necessary then the NHS will cover the cost - at my first appointment, my consultant kept asking if I was happy with my appearance - I think they take confidence issues very seriously nowadays.

I will no doubt be posting some questions here for you veterans, but in the meantime, good luck those of you just about to have surgery....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sohaila14)
    I've had braces in for 19 months but to fix my teeth not my jaw or anything and so I went to a consultation and they told me to remove my braces get my teeth cleaned and come back so they can put me on the waiting list. I was 17 when I had my braces in 19 now. I havent had a letter back from them yet I'm just really scared that I might have to pay for the surgery or even the braces? Because I do come under the Nhs and it is for medical reasons but I'm just confused because they didn't mention it me and I got my braces out 6 months earlier because I was told to. Would I have to pay for anything? Because the braces are a part of the procedure so I'm not sure if I have too? They didn't mentioned it to me at all? They've said I might need braces before it but the lady didn't tell me how long my teeth are really straight and I even have a gap which they didnt tighten because that's the gap they'll cut out? Would I need braces for 18 months even though I've already had braces? I dnt mind have braces after for however long but it's before I'm fussed about even 6 months will be okay. If anyone could please help me with the cost thing whether I'll need to pay or not? Anyone else had their surgery at 19 or over?

Thanks!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am due to have my surgery in a couple of months time and I am nearly 40! The NHS have paid for my treatment and as long as they consider your treatment to be necessary then they will pay for it - but I would recommend giving them a call just to check for your own peace of mind.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 36 with an underbite it's making me feel I can't smile I keep getting a cracking sound when I yawn or eat I would love the surgery but dont know if I can get it on nhs how did you and your brother manage to get it done?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.