Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    My name is monica and in two days time (31st July 2014) I am going to have jaw surgery for an underbite
    I am having both my upper and lower jaw moved

I am really nervous but not for the surgery itself but for the recovery process
    But after reading some of the comments I feel a little more at ease
    Any more tips?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

First of all, I'd like to say congrats to everyone who has done their jaw surgery and is recovering now! I just had my lower jaw surgery 3 weeks ago but my face is still slightly puffy. I have two rubber bands holding my jaws together, so eating solid food and chewing is out of the question. It has been a gruelling 3 weeks and I'm going to Exeter uni in September and I'm so afraid that people will make fun of me for my face can anyone give me any advice?

Also, to those about to go for surgery, I can't say much because I was very reluctant to go for surgery. Do be prepared to not be able to eat solid food for more than 3 months, so eat whatever you can before your surgery!! You'll definitely lose some weight as well, I lost 5kg in total but now it's stagnant cos I'm able to eat very soft noodles cut up into tiny pieces. Your face will swell and your self-esteem will plummet, you'll feel like you'll never look good again, but I'm honestly hoping and believing that I'll look better after this surgery, so keep the faith! After all, we are our own worst critic

For anyone who has questions about lower jaw surgery, feel free to message me! I'm not sure about double jaw surgery though but I heard that the recovery period is way longer.

Thank you and I hope I'll get some advice too regarding my issue!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently recovering from double jaw surgery, it's been 10 days. The worst part is definitely over thank god. Those who have gone through the surgery I hope you've all recovered well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm looking at getting referred for the same thing I'm 30 and have an overjet of 10mm ,hoping I get accepted on the NHS ! Did you have any other issues or was it just cosmetic reasons ?

ReputationRep:
    Not that I agree with the above poster, but I don't know if I would have bothered with the surgery if I didn't get it free from the NHS - if I had to pay for it all myself I would have definitely thought twice about it. For me, the surgery at the moment is mostly cosmetic - I do like my facial profile a lot better now, but really I wasn't all that bothered about how it was before, I could live with it and still have a happy life.

However what you fail to realise is that overbites and underbites can have medical consequences in older age such as sleep apnea and jaw pain, I have no idea if I would have been affected by these in later life but at least now I know that I won't and I've done something that has prevented it. Getting jaw surgery at 65 probably isn't a good idea, so by that age it would be too late. This surgery isn't like typical cosmetic surgery as it can actually prevent future health issues. There is a reason that these surgeries are offered on the NHS for free, in this age of budget cuts particularly, it shows that the surgery is very valuable.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Well I should be having my surgery ( on the bottom jaw which i think is for an overbite?) early next year.
    I've had my braces for 2 years since I was 16, I'm 18 now on a gap year so seems like the best time to have it done.
    I was promised it's on the NHS so I hope it still is because I think my case is bad enough.
    They said they recommend the surgery on me because the braces won't be enough, teeth will just go back to the way they were before so I'm going for it.
    A bit scared of the general anaesthetic but overall will be very happy that it should fix my appearance.
    This thread has been interesting to read, hope the pain is not going to be harsh and I just need to plan what my "liquid diet" will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marinaawesome)
    Hi everyone. Well I should be having my surgery ( on the bottom jaw which i think is for an overbite?) early next year.
    I've had my braces for 2 years since I was 16, I'm 18 now on a gap year so seems like the best time to have it done.
    I was promised it's on the NHS so I hope it still is because I think my case is bad enough.
    They said they recommend the surgery on me because the braces won't be enough, teeth will just go back to the way they were before so I'm going for it.
    A bit scared of the general anaesthetic but overall will be very happy that it should fix my appearance.
    This thread has been interesting to read, hope the pain is not going to be harsh and I just need to plan what my "liquid diet" will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Underbite * xD

You'll be fine, there are usually no complications in this type of surgery.

(I'm a dental student)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Mod note: Please keep this thread on topic. This is not the place to discuss whether somebody's reasons for the procedure are valid. This is a place for support and advice for those who are thinking about having, or have had the procedure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Mod note: Please keep this thread on topic. This is not the place to discuss whether somebody's reasons for the procedure are valid. This is a place for support and advice for those who are thinking about having, or have had the procedure.
    Exactly, thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marinaawesome)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm just over 2 weeks recovered now - you get used to the liquid diet quickly even though I would love a good burger!

It's not so much painful but uncomfortable for the first week and a half, I was expecting agonising pain but it was actually alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yabbayabba)
    I'm just over 2 weeks recovered now - you get used to the liquid diet quickly even though I would love a good burger!

It's not so much painful but uncomfortable for the first week and a half, I was expecting agonising pain but it was actually alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    Underbite * xD

You'll be fine, there are usually no complications in this type of surgery.

(I'm a dental student)
    Hahaha thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, Just found this thread and it's so helpful! I'm 25 (26 in December) and in my third year at Uni. After a not-so-nice dentist and issues with braces and not being able to eat due to my jaw when I was in my young teens, I had avoided the dentist for the last 7/8 years (might be even longer!). After smashing a weight goal this year I finally plucked up the courage to go and see a dentist about my 'smile' and having my teeth straightened. He did a very thorough examination and told me, the best option for me would be surgery because of my jaw (it's clicky and painful, I also suffer daily headaches but didn't realise this was jaw related). It was a bit of a knock back. I was thinking he would just pop a brace on and I would have this amazing smile. I am going to go ahead with the referral, if nothing else, I have to hear them out and their plans.

ReputationRep:
    Reading this thread, made me decide to join as it is very informative and helps me to not panic!

Currently had braces on for 2 years, I need double jaw surgery to correct my underbite and I have my op on the 6th October (next week) and staying in for 2 - 3 days. Currently got the stress of finding a job afterwards (graduated uni) and recovery. Really nervous after reading some supposingly rare complications (a man had a heart attack/died at the hospital I'm getting surgery at, after the same procedure). I know these situations are scarcely rare, but they do make me nervous.

Seen the computer generated after pictures, they do look strange. I chosen to opt for the jaw surgery only for the time being, as they were going to work on making my chin more prominent.

Anyone had two jaw surgery? What was it like? What was the foods you could eat? I've had hardly any info on the diet part. What did they feed you in hospital?

Reading stuff online makes me worried, but think it's best to hear it from everyone who has had the surgery first hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boringdude)
    Reading this thread, made me decide to join as it is very informative and helps me to not panic!

Currently had braces on for 2 years, I need double jaw surgery to correct my underbite and I have my op on the 6th October (next week) and staying in for 2 - 3 days. Currently got the stress of finding a job afterwards (graduated uni) and recovery. Really nervous after reading some supposingly rare complications (a man had a heart attack/died at the hospital I'm getting surgery at, after the same procedure). I know these situations are scarcely rare, but they do make me nervous.

Seen the computer generated after pictures, they do look strange. I chosen to opt for the jaw surgery only for the time being, as they were going to work on making my chin more prominent.

Anyone had two jaw surgery? What was it like? What was the foods you could eat? I've had hardly any info on the diet part. What did they feed you in hospital?

Reading stuff online makes me worried, but think it's best to hear it from everyone who has had the surgery first hand.
    I'd hold off on job hunting after the op and just focus on recovery for at least 2 months. I had my surgery at the beginning of September and just started uni for my final year today.

Don't read up too much pre-surgery, it just makes you more nervous as you remember all the potential horror stories far more than the good that comes out of the surgery. All of the horror stories are highly unlikely, there's risk to every surgery. Just follow the hospitals advice and then then do all your reading and research online post-op, it also helps as a morale boost to know that there are others in your situation who have been through the same thing.

I had double surgery, the first week is hell. The second better and by the third you begin to feel normal again. It'll be a month post-op for me tomorrow and I feel pretty much ok. Uni is far more of a worry at the moment than my jaw surgery recovery.

I'm still on a soft food diet, I'm used to it now so not too bothered - get a blender if you don't have one - it's brilliant! My diet is pretty samey but I don't mind, it fills me up - weetabix, porridge, soup, blended baked beans, smoothies, ice cream etc.

You'll barely be able to eat your first few days so don't worry about what they'll feed you in hospital - I had yoghurt but I couldn't even finish it while I was in hospital.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yabbayabba)
    I'd hold off on job hunting after the op and just focus on recovery for at least 2 months. I had my surgery at the beginning of September and just started uni for my final year today.

Don't read up too much pre-surgery, it just makes you more nervous as you remember all the potential horror stories far more than the good that comes out of the surgery. All of the horror stories are highly unlikely, there's risk to every surgery. Just follow the hospitals advice and then then do all your reading and research online post-op, it also helps as a morale boost to know that there are others in your situation who have been through the same thing.

I had double surgery, the first week is hell. The second better and by the third you begin to feel normal again. It'll be a month post-op for me tomorrow and I feel pretty much ok. Uni is far more of a worry at the moment than my jaw surgery recovery.

I'm still on a soft food diet, I'm used to it now so not too bothered - get a blender if you don't have one - it's brilliant! My diet is pretty samey but I don't mind, it fills me up - weetabix, porridge, soup, blended baked beans, smoothies, ice cream etc.

You'll barely be able to eat your first few days so don't worry about what they'll feed you in hospital - I had yoghurt but I couldn't even finish it while I was in hospital.
    Did you find the hospital stay was quick?

Will be in tomorrow, but I'll update when the op is done. So nervous, but at the same time I'm glad something is getting done about it. Quite shocked how common the operation is, and the number of patients.

I have a little sore throat though, so I think its down to nerves, and I sing. But taking lemsip for that.

Wish me luck! aha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boringdude)
    Did you find the hospital stay was quick?

Will be in tomorrow, but I'll update when the op is done. So nervous, but at the same time I'm glad something is getting done about it. Quite shocked how common the operation is, and the number of patients.

I have a little sore throat though, so I think its down to nerves, and I sing. But taking lemsip for that.

Wish me luck! aha.
    I stayed one night. I had the option to stay 2 but I just wanted to go home and recover in a familiar environment, see how you feel.

I went back to uni and somebody who had the surgery on my course recognised I had from my swollen face haha.

Take lots of vitamin c, you don't want to cough or sneeze after surgery. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I was 18, I turned down the surgery to correct my underbite as it wasn't/isn't that bad (not sure on the measurements but they'd only be small). They showed me pictures of what it would look like after the surgery and there was only a slight difference. In my case, the underbite is only slight, however, it is only just off centre and to my left, which is annoying.
    I'm 20 now and my teeth annoy me because they are obviously not straight and I can't even remember the last time I clenched my jaw successfully, but I guess I've got used to that. I was thinking about possibly having the surgery after I finished uni but I just don't know!? I have good and bad days with my self confidence and tbh this is probably a low day and thats the reason I'm thinking about it and writing this.
    It is so frustrating and I just want straight teeth!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently 8 days post op of double jaw surgery only taking paracetamol as a painkiller but struggling to come to terms with the liquid diet as I love my food. I've lost half a stone already but I'm sure I will put it back on when able to eat. Does anyone know roughly how long the bands are on for? I can take them off to eat and clean my teeth but it's quite exhausting to do this so may times in the day so usually use a syringe and have yoghurts and soup. It's not the pain that I find unbearable as there isn't really any it's the nerves starting to repair themselves and the tingling of my chin is driving me insane. Fur back at work in 3 weeks but all I really want is a nice burger lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelta86)
    I'm currently 8 days post op of double jaw surgery only taking paracetamol as a painkiller but struggling to come to terms with the liquid diet as I love my food. I've lost half a stone already but I'm sure I will put it back on when able to eat. Does anyone know roughly how long the bands are on for? I can take them off to eat and clean my teeth but it's quite exhausting to do this so may times in the day so usually use a syringe and have yoghurts and soup. It's not the pain that I find unbearable as there isn't really any it's the nerves starting to repair themselves and the tingling of my chin is driving me insane. Fur back at work in 3 weeks but all I really want is a nice burger lol
    Sounds like you're doing well if you only need paracetamol. You get used to the elastics as well as liquid diet, it gets easier as it becomes habitual. Just keep yourself full and you won't crave burgers so much.

I'm coming up to 8 weeks post op and still have elastics on, you need them during the post surgery orthodontics stage which lasts a few months after surgery. I can eat with them on though it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.