Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyl.11)
    Hi, question to those who have already had the surgery, how long did it take you to be able to go about everyday stuff again? Not as in eating normally etc. but just to be able to (relatively) comfortably go out and meet people. I'm asking bc I need to have double jaw surgery for an underbite and it's booked for 20th august, which is worryingly close to school starting and I don't particularly want to be missing the first few weeks of the school year!
    2 weeks/ on the 3rd week
    I'm on my third week now and can start managing things normally, I still need rests now and then because the liquid diet and just in general you're more tired and weak, but as long as your surgery goes well with no major complications by the third week you should begin to start feeling normal again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marinaawesome)
    2 weeks/ on the 3rd week
    I'm on my third week now and can start managing things normally, I still need rests now and then because the liquid diet and just in general you're more tired and weak, but as long as your surgery goes well with no major complications by the third week you should begin to start feeling normal again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ahhh I see thanks yeah the liquid diet will be interesting haha

ReputationRep:
    Hi. My daughter had SARPE to widen her upper jaw 2 years ago. Next Tuesday she's having surgery to move her upper jaw forward.
    I know it's probably a stupid question but do the hospital provide syringes? I didn't think of this before and don't want to leave it to chance. She'll be banded so a syringe for water will make things so much easier. I'm not sure what type to buy if I go online. Any advice will be gratefully received. Also, it'd be great to know how you're all getting on now. Did having your jaws fixed live up to expectations? Did any of you find it hard to adjust?
    Thank you all in advance. Teresa

(Original post by teresaj)
    Hi. My daughter had SARPE to widen her upper jaw 2 years ago. Next Tuesday she's having surgery to move her upper jaw forward.
    I know it's probably a stupid question but do the hospital provide syringes? I didn't think of this before and don't want to leave it to chance. She'll be banded so a syringe for water will make things so much easier. I'm not sure what type to buy if I go online. Any advice will be gratefully received. Also, it'd be great to know how you're all getting on now. Did having your jaws fixed live up to expectations? Did any of you find it hard to adjust?
    Thank you all in advance. Teresa
    I was provided with syringes, so I think they would.

In terms of advice, my surgery was slightly different (lower and upper) and the first week was the worse, had no energy what so ever. After that week it gets much better.

In terms of expectations, I am almost 8 months post op and while aesthetics has improved, I have had/still have constant problems, infections, plates replaced, more infections, plates removed, loss of feeling in lower lip, pain in jaws and a lot more..

But I think the majority of people have had successes and generally it has been worth it for them.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I think I'm more nervous than she is!
    Hope your problems sort themselves out soon. It must be Hell going through all that work to end up with constant set backs. Lots of luck for the future. T

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marinaawesome)
    Please help ease my nerves right now guys.
    After the double jaw opp, can you breathe from your nose for the first couple of weeks?
    I read a leaflet from my hospital saying you can't breathe from your nose if you have the top jaw done for some weeks?!
    That's making me so anxious.

I was meant to have just lower jaw opp but now my surgeon said I have to have top and bottom plus bone from my hop used to fill the upper jaw so my top teeth show more.
    It's all too much to take in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, i am wondering whether you have had your op yet? Yours sound exactly like what I have to have done. I need bone taken from my hip too, i have been given my date for october.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GinaGriffiths)
    Hi, I'm 22 and have a consultation at the hospital in two weeks and have been informed that I will probably require surgery and braces to correct my 14 mm overjet. I noticed that you too started treatment over the age of 18 and was wondering whether the NHS covered the entire cost of your treatment? I have been warned that I may have to pay toward mine or may not be accepted at all. I'm quite desperate at this point though, I literally can't stand to look at my face and my jaw constantly clicks and causes quite a bit of pain.

Any info would be very much appreciated. I hope you're treatment is going well.
    Hiya,

I havent had to pay for anything.

Thanks, I have finally got a date for october!! 😁🙈

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelta86)
    Hi I'm 28 I had double jaw surgery 3 months ago I had braces for 2 and a half years before I was ready. My surgery was meant to take that amount of time but only took 3 and a half hours once down in theatre. I had the same fears about being put to sleep but it was ok in the end it's normal to be very nervous beforehand but it's something that u will never regret. Just be prepared for the recovery period it is hard on you with the lack of sleep and food but it does get better

Wish u all the luck in the world it really is an amazing thing that they do
    Thanks so much for your reply. I have finally got my date for october! I cant wait to get it done once and for all! I am 30 with braces and ive had them for nearly 4 years!!

ReputationRep:
    6 weeks post opp today !!!!! I want the swelling to go !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Can I ask everyone what was next after you saw someone at hospital?I had an appointment in hospital last year. The surgeon checked my bite and said that the next appointment will be with someone from joint clinic. I was waiting for that appointment for over a year now. When I have finally got it, it seems that I am going for the same appointment I was last year ( well the letter I have received looks same, I think).

ReputationRep:
    You just have to wait. It's the NHS they take their time. Different hospital varies too. It took me about a year or so to get my braces on. I don't remember all the detail. But, I met one of the surgeon at my first appointment. Then the next appointment about a year after, I met two of the surgeon and the dentist who is doing my braces. After about 10 months the process started with the braces.

ReputationRep:
    So my surgery is next Thursday for a class 3 underbite. It's been a long process, with surgery and braces first being discussed when I was 16 (I'm 21 now) and then I had braces put on when I was 18 and had stopped growing.
    They were meant to be on for 18-24 months but will be 3 years in a couple of days, so that was frustrating. My hospital had ortho's change and leave which didn't help...

I've read this thread through in its entirety and it has been very helpful! I'm seeing my surgeon one more time on Monday before my surgery and was wondering what questions to ask?
    Off the top of my head I was going to ask about the jaw relapsing, whether or not I'm on morphine post surgery, surgery length. If anyone has any other suggestions on questions then I'm all ears!

I'm also blogging my experience if people want to read about it. I'll be posting pics throughout my recovery.
    It's www.jawstruly.wordpress.com for those interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandaman0808)
    So my surgery is next Thursday for a class 3 underbite. It's been a long process, with surgery and braces first being discussed when I was 16 (I'm 21 now) and then I had braces put on when I was 18 and had stopped growing.
    They were meant to be on for 18-24 months but will be 3 years in a couple of days, so that was frustrating. My hospital had ortho's change and leave which didn't help...

I've read this thread through in its entirety and it has been very helpful! I'm seeing my surgeon one more time on Monday before my surgery and was wondering what questions to ask?
    Off the top of my head I was going to ask about the jaw relapsing, whether or not I'm on morphine post surgery, surgery length. If anyone has any other suggestions on questions then I'm all ears!

I'm also blogging my experience if people want to read about it. I'll be posting pics throughout my recovery.
    It's www.jawstruly.wordpress.com for those interested.
    Can't help much with questions, but good luck.

They sound like good questions to start with. If it helps at all, I was on painkillers as much as necessary straight after my jaw operation (and went home with painkillers to take too, although no idea what medication it actually was).

They should go through any side effects before the surgery, but you could check that if you're unsure.

But either way, good luck - hope it goes well! Having jaw surgery was one of the best decisions I ever made, it is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liv1204)
    Can't help much with questions, but good luck.

They sound like good questions to start with. If it helps at all, I was on painkillers as much as necessary straight after my jaw operation (and went home with painkillers to take too, although no idea what medication it actually was).

They should go through any side effects before the surgery, but you could check that if you're unsure.

But either way, good luck - hope it goes well! Having jaw surgery was one of the best decisions I ever made, it is worth it.
    Thanks Liv, I saw him today and pretty much asked him the above. Unclear as to my painkillers post surgery, I'm not worried about the side effects of them or the surgery itself. Now that the day is so near, I don't think you could say anything that would make me back out now

Thanks! Glad to see you made it out the other side How would you say your face changed afterwards? My surgeon says the change will be quite drastic, and because of the nature of my face currently I'll likely come out of it with a stronger jaw and some refined cheekbones etc. To be honest I don't really know what to expect...

ReputationRep:
    Hey all again

does anyone have experiences with open bites? Something else i'd like to ask you is whether as a full time time university student, you can get orthodontic treatment for free on the NHS? Millions of thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anastas)
    Hey all again

does anyone have experiences with open bites? Something else i'd like to ask you is whether as a full time time university student, you can get orthodontic treatment for free on the NHS? Millions of thanks!
    I have an open bite (although for various reasons decided not to go ahead with surgery). Whether you get free orthodontic treatment is nothing to do with your student status, its to do with the severity of the bite.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm having double jaw surgery next month for an underbite and crossbite and was wondering when you guys went back to work? I'm 18 and plan to go travelling next year in my gap year so was wondering when i could go back/what did you feel like after the surgery? Also how much weight do you lose? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemlow)
    Hi!
    I'm having double jaw surgery next month for an underbite and crossbite and was wondering when you guys went back to work? I'm 18 and plan to go travelling next year in my gap year so was wondering when i could go back/what did you feel like after the surgery? Also how much weight do you lose? Thanks!
    3-4 weeks for me to feel properly independent again, though the swelling didn't go down til about 4 weeks after that. Don't rush back to your life too quickly and listen to your body. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So I'm 9 days post surgery and things are fun! Surgery went well, taking 4 hours and ending up spending 2 days in hospital afterwards.
    Right now my surgeon gave me a slight overjet to compensate for my jaw trying to revert back to its original position and I have two bands on either side of my jaw trying to hold everything in place to heal.

I've noticed however that my lower jaw is pulling slightly to the left regardless of the bands, and my midline is not centered as a result. Has anyone noticed this post surgery and any suggestions on dealing with this?

I'm going to see my surgeon for the second time on Monday so I'm going to raise the issue with him again. I think he'll either give it another week to see how things settle or possibly stick a band between the hooks on the front and bottom teeth to correct this. This will obviously mean I'd be completely wired but it'll be worth it now if it can be sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have quite a severe underbite and this was mentioned to me by my dentist at the age of 25...at the time I found it quite awkward and said I'm happy enough as I am but now at 28 I've changed my mind and want to have the surgery. I was just wondering how I go about being referred for this? Is it only through the dentist or are there other ways around this? My teeth also need to be sorted as they are not in great shape but I've always had a problem with the dentist and the needles in the mouth even though needles in general don't bother me, I think I've just been unlucky with my dentist choices and ended up with the sadists aha thanks in advance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.