The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jsalohcin
I'm getting the op on friday and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a meal replacement powder that isn't as expensive as buying Complan? For example would the MyProtein Hurricane XS be suitable for use during the liquid diet phase?

Under/Overbite? I haven't even got my braces on yet :frown: How long did you have to wear them? I heard ensure is really good. You can also make your own protein shakes.
Reply 501
hey, i am looking to get a surgery to correct my underbite as it affects my speech slightly and causes some jaw pain.I just finished my first year of uni and was wondering if i had my first appointment tomorrow how soon will i be able to get the surgery and do u need alot of appointsment with the dentist. im worried bc i go to uni abroad and worried that i might not make the appointments sceduled. if i did the jaw surgery at the end of second year of uni which is start of july will i be fully recovered for september when my third year of uni starts.Thanks
Original post by bilala2
hey, i am looking to get a surgery to correct my underbite as it affects my speech slightly and causes some jaw pain.I just finished my first year of uni and was wondering if i had my first appointment tomorrow how soon will i be able to get the surgery and do u need alot of appointsment with the dentist. im worried bc i go to uni abroad and worried that i might not make the appointments sceduled. if i did the jaw surgery at the end of second year of uni which is start of july will i be fully recovered for september when my third year of uni starts.Thanks

They said 18 months to me. That's after my braces are on. My jaw is still moving apparantly once that's stopped then braces will be put on.
Original post by bilala2

As Adeel Ali said, it can take a while to go through the process - how long exactly will depend on what exactly you need doing. I started with braces aged 13 and had my jaw surgery 3 years later, but they have to wait until you've stopped growing ideally so it may well take less time for you since you're older. They do need to do a fair amount of appointments first though, to work out exactly what will need doing, they have to do x-rays, pre-op assessments and all that kind of thing.

You would almost certainly be recovered for September if you had your jaw surgery in the July. I had my jaw surgery in the middle of November and had four weeks off college (plus 2 weeks of Christmas, so 6 weeks altogether) and I was absolutely fine to go back to college by then. Pain-wise and jaw-wise I would have been fine to go back even earlier than that - the main issues are a) it's hard to speak and b) I was exhausted so didn't have the energy to go back (partly because of not being able to eat while my jaw was wired shut, and added to that because I was extremely anaemic as it turned out). But yes, there is no reason why you wouldn't be absolutely fine for uni in September if surgery was in July!
Original post by Liv1204
At a guess I would say something like the MyProtein powder wouldn't be ideal, in that although it says it combines protein/carbohydrate/fat, it's lacking in the vitamins you'll be missing from food, which is what meal replacement drinks like Complan will give you.

I'm pretty sure Complan is what I had after my jaw operation, so I'm not actually sure what else is cheaper. You could have a look at Ensure or Fortisips, but I'm pretty sure they're even more expensive.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, ive ordered some Complan to be safe. Thanks

Original post by Adeel Ali
Under/Overbite? I haven't even got my braces on yet :frown: How long did you have to wear them? I heard ensure is really good. You can also make your own protein shakes.

Class 3 underbite. I got my braces in November 2012, and had the operation yesterday. Hoping to get my braces off before November of this year!
Original post by bilala2

you do need a lot of orthodontist appointments yes. I had to go every 6 weeks when I had my braces, any less and I'd have needed to have braces for longer.
I had double jaw surgery on the 25th June and feeling entirely back to normal after about 2 and a half weeks.
I am happy to answer any questions - I completely understand the pre-op anxiety.
Hope you are all well, Emily. :smile:
Hi, i had braces at 13 till 16 than I had them back when I was 18, my orthodontist offered me surgery to correct my under bite but at the time I didn't see it as a problem so corrected my teeth with just braces, now I am 21 its causing me problems does anyone know whether I will be able to get surgery under the NHS because of my age ?
Original post by sarah1409
Hi, i had braces at 13 till 16 than I had them back when I was 18, my orthodontist offered me surgery to correct my under bite but at the time I didn't see it as a problem so corrected my teeth with just braces, now I am 21 its causing me problems does anyone know whether I will be able to get surgery under the NHS because of my age ?

It's not your age which determines whether you are eligible for surgery, its the severity of the problem. Presumably if you were offered surgery before you would be offered it again unless there have been major cutbacks- like you I declined surgery and was told the option was open to me if I ever changed my mind (I haven't so far). However you would most likely need braces for the third time.

Nothing to do with age. I had my jaw done at 17.. If it's causing you problems then you need to have it fixed.

If it's causing you problems, either physical or psychological, then I don't see how the NHS could refuse the surgery.
I cannot stress how worthwhile two weeks of uncomfort is, when seen in the context of a lifetime. :smile:
Thank you guys for the replies Im seeing my dentist on Monday and hopefully I'll be able to sort this out even if it means getting braces at 21 😩
Thank you guys for the replies Im seeing my dentist on Monday and hopefully I'll be able to sort this out even if it means getting braces at 21 😩

I hope it all goes well for you. Just think about the perfect teeth and jaw you'll have soon! :biggrin:
I had my jaw surgery about a week and a half ago. I had my double jaw surgery, with my bottom jaw moved forward, and my jaws moved on an angle to sort out my chin, and my wisdom teeth removed. The surgery took 2 and a half hours. I had three elastic bands on my teeth to keep my bite together in the first week due to the swelling. However, after going to the orthodontist these have been removed, aside from one at the right side of my mouth to tweak my bite.

To be honest I haven't been in much pain at all. I had two bad days on day 3 and 4, but this was more because I had a really bad throat. Most of my swelling has now gone, and I went out to town for the first time yesterday.

Eating wise, I had soups and liquids for the first 4 days. However, after that I started having pureed food (Spag bowl, chilli etc). And today I've had mushed baked beans for lunch and rice for dinner.

Is it okay to eat soft foods that require a bit of chewing only 8 days after surgery? I can open my jaw abouts two fingers width wide.
Original post by emilialucy
I had my jaw surgery about a week and a half ago. I had my double jaw surgery, with my bottom jaw moved forward, and my jaws moved on an angle to sort out my chin, and my wisdom teeth removed. The surgery took 2 and a half hours. I had three elastic bands on my teeth to keep my bite together in the first week due to the swelling. However, after going to the orthodontist these have been removed, aside from one at the right side of my mouth to tweak my bite.

To be honest I haven't been in much pain at all. I had two bad days on day 3 and 4, but this was more because I had a really bad throat. Most of my swelling has now gone, and I went out to town for the first time yesterday.

Eating wise, I had soups and liquids for the first 4 days. However, after that I started having pureed food (Spag bowl, chilli etc). And today I've had mushed baked beans for lunch and rice for dinner.

Is it okay to eat soft foods that require a bit of chewing only 8 days after surgery? I can open my jaw abouts two fingers width wide.

Your recovery process sounds almost identical to mine, in terms of eating and level of pain. :smile:
If I were you, I would wait until nearer the two week mark to start eating soft foods. When you do start chewing soft food, make sure you're really gentle at first or your jaw will become achy quickly.
I began eating soft food (macaroni cheese and squishy pizza) just before the two week mark.

However, it does completely depend on the individual so do whatever you feel most comfortable with. You'll feel entirely back to normal in no time at all. :smile:
Original post by Emily Georgina
Your recovery process sounds almost identical to mine, in terms of eating and level of pain. :smile:
If I were you, I would wait until nearer the two week mark to start eating soft foods. When you do start chewing soft food, make sure you're really gentle at first or your jaw will become achy quickly.
I began eating soft food (macaroni cheese and squishy pizza) just before the two week mark.

However, it does completely depend on the individual so do whatever you feel most comfortable with. You'll feel entirely back to normal in no time at all. :smile:

Ahh squishy pizza does sound good!!

I've found no problem so far with baked beans, rice and Victoria sponge.. But maybe I would leave it a week :smile:.

When abouts did your stitches fall out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilialucy
Ahh squishy pizza does sound good!!

I've found no problem so far with baked beans, rice and Victoria sponge.. But maybe I would leave it a week :smile:.

When abouts did your stitches fall out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sounds like your recovery is going excellently! Just be careful to take it one step at a time. :smile:
I think the first soft thing I ate was the inside of garlic bread as it only requires a tiny amount of chewing.

My stitches didn't really fall out... At about two and half weeks, my mouth felt so restricted and tight from the stitches, I gently eased them out with a pair of tweezers. Once the stitches are out, your mouth can properly heal and it feels amazing. :biggrin:
Hello liv are you one Facebook? I would love to chat to you about this op as I'm having it done next year?
Thanks Kerry
I'm getting jaw treatment in 4 years as i am 12 now. I have an overbite of 14mm. As your mouth is held shut by elastic bands, are you able to speak during that time?
Original post by xxcleftxxawesome
I'm getting jaw treatment in 4 years as i am 12 now. I have an overbite of 14mm. As your mouth is held shut by elastic bands, are you able to speak during that time?

I didn't have elastic bands put on until a week after the operation - then I had two double looped. The bands definitely make speaking harder, but you somehow learn to speak without the movement and flexibility you once had.
Besides, speaking isn't really a priority in the first week. You'll want to rest a lot and get enough liquids. :smile:

Latest