Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting jaw treatment in 4 years as i am 12 now. I have an overbite of 14mm. As your mouth is held shut by elastic bands, are you able to speak during that time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxcleftxxawesome)
    I'm getting jaw treatment in 4 years as i am 12 now. I have an overbite of 14mm. As your mouth is held shut by elastic bands, are you able to speak during that time?
    I didn't have elastic bands put on until a week after the operation - then I had two double looped. The bands definitely make speaking harder, but you somehow learn to speak without the movement and flexibility you once had.
    Besides, speaking isn't really a priority in the first week. You'll want to rest a lot and get enough liquids.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys just finished my first year of uni and I was supposed to have double jaw surgery on the 28th (yesterday), however I caught a cold 6 days before that and still have a tiny bit of a cold. It was cancelled because of this so just a heads up BE HEALTHY before your surgery date! I wish I had known beforehand good luck to all you guys going for surgery though! 😀

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I had my surgery a few months ago and just got my braces off today! If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone - I had my double jaw surgery for an underbite, open bite and asymmetry almost 5 weeks ago now! (30th June) Time has flown by and I'm doing really well. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james3334)
    Hi everyone, I had my surgery a few months ago and just got my braces off today! If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
    (Original post by musicgirl19)
    Hi everyone - I had my double jaw surgery for an underbite, open bite and asymmetry almost 5 weeks ago now! (30th June) Time has flown by and I'm doing really well. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help
    I had double jaw surgery for an underbite just over 3 weeks ago. Was wondering when you were able to start chewing soft food again such as pasta? I've ate it blended but would like to start chewing. Also when did the feeling return to the area around your chin? There is still an area of my lip and chin which is completely numb.

Also james, how long had you had your braces in total? I'm coming up 3 years and as far as I can tell my teeth are straight and in the correct place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsalohcin)
    I had double jaw surgery for an underbite just over 3 weeks ago. Was wondering when you were able to start chewing soft food again such as pasta? I've ate it blended but would like to start chewing. Also when did the feeling return to the area around your chin? There is still an area of my lip and chin which is completely numb.

Also james, how long had you had your braces in total? I'm coming up 3 years and as far as I can tell my teeth are straight and in the correct place

Soft food like pasta I was able to eat after 4 weeks, didn't want to risk anything by eating before. It's been around 7 months and my lip and chin on one side is still numb..That was one of the risks, but I have gotten used to it now. My braces came off after 2 years and 9 months, on retainers now. But don't rush to get them off, just take the advice of the consultants, it shouldn't be long before you get them off though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsalohcin)
    Hey, I haven't really started chewing anything yet as my surgeon said 6 weeks until I'm allowed to chew. It'll be 5 weeks on Tuesday and I'm just beginning very slightly to put my molars into really soft scrambled egg and potatoes etc even though he doesn't really want me to, but I know I'm not doing any damage. I've been cutting everything up small enough to swallow whole to avoid chewing, and it works quite well. I can actually eat almost anything I want as long as it softens on the tongue so doesn't hurt to go down. You'd be wise to ask your surgeon or orthodontist when they recommend you start chewing again as each surgeon has their own preferences

Bottom lip isn't really numb anymore I wouldn't say, but doesn't feel normal. I can tell when I touch it, but it feels altered, and the same with my chin. Luckily I didn't suffer any nerve damage during the surgery so I will get complete feeling back.

Hope you're doing okay! Let me know if you have any other questions

ReputationRep:
    Hi Zara.my surgery due next year. I'm
    Really scared of whole procedure.i refused it first ( surgery ) but my dentist who going to fix my teeth asked me not to quit just cause u scared. If u don't mind telling me how was your experience . I would appreciate .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saher Batool)
    Really scared of whole procedure.i refused it first ( surgery ) but my dentist who going to fix my teeth asked me not to quit just cause u scared. If u don't mind telling me how was your experience . I would appreciate .

Hi, obviously it's up to you completely, but I would personally say, do not back out of the surgery! It will be the best thing you've ever done and once you've come through it, you'll be sooo pleased you did.

It is difficult, the first week is really hard and not nice, but so worth it. I'm still not eating properly, yet I can already say it's so worth it. I'm still really swollen in my face but I'm already so much more confident in how I look because of the surgery. Honestly I would recommend it to anyone who's not sure.

The pain isn't too bad, it's managed quite well with painkillers, swelling varies from person to person but goes down mostly within 2-3 weeks and then decreases gradually for a while. The lack of proper eating isn't too bad, as once you can open your mouth wide enough (probably after just a week), you can eat any soft foods that don't require chewing. Honestly you will be absolutely fine, go for it! You'll be so pleased that you've done it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saher Batool)
    Hello. Everybody's experiences vary a great deal, but I think the majority would agree it is definitely worth it. I had double jaw surgery and surgery for my top lip at the end of June.
    Overall, I had more discomfort than pain. For pain relief, I took liquid paracetamol and ibuprofen for a week and then Naproxen tablets when I felt comfortable to swallow.
    The first week is the hardest for sure but it really is all uphill from there. After a couple of weeks, I stopped taking any medicine. I was gently chewing macaroni cheese and garlic bread after about 10 days and had a soft pizza after 14 days (for my birthday).
    I found that gentle chewing helped with the mobility of my jaw.

After 3 weeks, I felt back to normal and now (nearly 6 weeks later) I continually forget I even had the operation done!

I wish you the best of luck on whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    I was told when I was 20 I could have jaw surgery but would have to wear braces I dint feel comfortable wearing braces so I never went for it because I would always about other people looking and pointing at as I was bullied in school and my confidence was knocked right down.
    I am now 30 and am seiously think of asking if I could still have it it done because I don't care what ppl say or think as I'm doing it for me. I will make a huge difference in my life for the best if you feel it will make you feel better and build your confidence discuss it with your detest look at review n make your own dicision I wish I'd gone for it earlier but healing process will take around 2 to 3 years do what you want that makes you feel comfortable and confident wit I'm going to make a appointment with my dentist tomorrow or first hung Monday I need to think bout me not others x

ReputationRep:
    Im glad you are considering it aslong as it what you really want im going to go for it just hope its not to late.
    My eldest has it and my daughter but their will be corrected buy braces. I had the braces but never kept them in ling enough x

ReputationRep:
    I will defenetly speaking to my dentist and bite the bullet xx

ReputationRep:
    I like all the possative feed back its really helping my decusion come to life. I wont be too mithered about the liquid diet as iv been trying to loose weight haha thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    I was never told about surgery when i was in my teens only when i was a young adult x

ReputationRep:
    How long do you have to wear the brace before the surgery x

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, my names Matthew (25)and 3 years ago my doctor at the school of dentistry asked me if I wanted to go ahead with my jaw surgery. Of course I said yes. I've now had the braces on for nearly 3 years, to be honest I've lost count.

A few months back I had an appointment with the consultant to say I'd be getting double jaw surgery with possible surgery to my chin. The consultant said that I was on the list for surgery but could give me no dates what so ever, not even a ball park as to when my surgery will be. I even said to her "this year?" To which she replied "maybe, maybe not" Is anyone else on the NHS that is having this done taking this long? I'm starting to get really frustrated with my jaw and I think about it constantly. This is actually the second time I've had braces so it's totalling to near 5 years of braces, I'm 25 now. I read stories on here and other places and it seems like I'm alone in the length of time I'm being kept waiting. Anyone any advice?
    Thanks for reading

ReputationRep:
    I am 17 and I got braces about 3 months ago. My orthodontist said that I would have jaw surgery after having braces for 18 months. I am planning on going to university in 2016 so I would have to plan surgery to take place during a holiday, Can anyone tell me about the recovery time? Would it have to be in a longer holiday such as the summer? I am having the surgery for an under bite and asymmetry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiphoszh)
    I am 17 and I got braces about 3 months ago. My orthodontist said that I would have jaw surgery after having braces for 18 months. I am planning on going to university in 2016 so I would have to plan surgery to take place during a holiday, Can anyone tell me about the recovery time? Would it have to be in a longer holiday such as the summer? I am having the surgery for an under bite and asymmetry.

Hi, I had the operation for an underbite two weeks ago and in terms of recovery mine has actually been pretty swift. I was off the liquid diet after 2 days and went straight to soft foods so I haven't had any problems with lack of energy or anything like that. I've managed to go shopping, meet up with friends and I'll be going back to school on Monday. In terms of swelling, I'm still a little swollen, but most of it's gone down and I've been told it looks less like swelling and more like I've just put on some weight haha. So in answer to your question, you probably won't need a long summer holiday. Obviously it might be nicer to have an entire summer to recover before starting uni but if you have the operation at the start of christmas or easter those few weeks should be enough too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.