Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

NHS Jaw Surgery watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi all, i am undergoing surgery on my lower jaw to move it forward, sometime this summer!! starting to get nervous now! how long realistically does it take to recover and go back to work? i know its probably different for everyone but if theres anyone whos undergone a similar procedure as me any information would be brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T&G)
    hi all, i am undergoing surgery on my lower jaw to move it forward, sometime this summer!! starting to get nervous now! how long realistically does it take to recover and go back to work? i know its probably different for everyone but if theres anyone whos undergone a similar procedure as me any information would be brilliant
    i didnt go for the surgery but ive heard from others who did that you realistically need about a month before you are back to your normal self.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T&G)
    Hi, I had this operation last summer, I had both jaws done though. It took me around 3 months to recover completely but i couldnt eat properly due to the restriction of my jaw being. But i was able to eat properly again after 6 months. Best thing I have ever done

ReputationRep:
    how long after the surgery on the upper jaw has been completed will you be able to remove your braces? My teeth are almost perfectly straight at the moment its just the upper and lower jaw which is out of alignment meaning i would only need jaw surgery on the upper half.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arman_Partow)
    how long after the surgery on the upper jaw has been completed will you be able to remove your braces? My teeth are almost perfectly straight at the moment its just the upper and lower jaw which is out of alignment meaning i would only need jaw surgery on the upper half.
    6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KBirdseye)
    Hi, I had this operation last summer, I had both jaws done though. It took me around 3 months to recover completely but i couldnt eat properly due to the restriction of my jaw being. But i was able to eat properly again after 6 months. Best thing I have ever done
    Same , a lot depends on how bad your bite was.

My face still swells up now, because they repositioned my jaw. Had assymetry.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they was shocked at how quicker I recovered, I had the operation in July and had my braces off in November. I often get a clicking noise when I eat though, don't know what I think about that. I had an open bite so I had the surgery for that and then had all of my wisdom teeth taken out at the same time, we was all surprised how quick it all was done by

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KBirdseye)
    Yeah they was shocked at how quicker I recovered, I had the operation in July and had my braces off in November. I often get a clicking noise when I eat though, don't know what I think about that. I had an open bite so I had the surgery for that and then had all of my wisdom teeth taken out at the same time, we was all surprised how quick it all was done by
    How do you look now after its fixed? btw I had an open bite too

ReputationRep:
    They look good better than I ever thought possible

ReputationRep:
    I was at another appointment with dental hospital just waiting to see the surgeons. Am scared of going into hospital and having an operation. I know I sound babyish because am 16 but its just the thought as the hospital is about 3 hours away from home so am worried bout tht and the op x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have an appointment next month for my surgery and i'm 100% scared and would really love some advice or past experiences please.

I'm having surgery on my bottom jaw and my surgeon said he would give me a chin implant too. I hate my jaw because it looks non-existent, but i'm really scared and it's making me want to back out.

The things i'm scared of:
    1) Gums being wired together. Does it hurt? And does it hurt when they're taken out?
    2) The holes when the wires come out.
    3) Anaesthetic through veins? I don't know, it seems like that's how they'd administer it and i hate the thought of needles going into veins.
    4) Pain after the surgery. I can barely swallow tablets so i'm scared i won't be able to take the pain.
    5) Retraining my jaw to eat and chew. I'm lazy and i'm scared the pain will put me off trying.
    6) I have trouble breathing through my nose, it gets blocked at night. Will i be able to breathe?
    7) Permenant numbness in jaw.

I think those are my main problems. Sorry there's a lot, but with all those together i'm really dreading the operation, and as much as i want my jaw to be fixed i'm terrified.

Please help! I would love others personal experience.
    Would you recommend it to a wuss who was 100% scared of pain?

I know long term effects > short term pain, but i can't bear the thought of those few days/weeks/months.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm honest I was absolutely petrified of going in and having the operation, but then when I got there in the morning it just happened and it was fine. After the op you are so dosed up on medicine that all you do is sleep. I was lucky to be up for 2 hours, so you don't seem to be awake enough or remember who you see. I was 16 so I know how you feel being away from home for that period of time but you just don't have time to think about it good luck, you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah04H)
    Hi

I have an appointment next month for my surgery and i'm 100% scared and would really love some advice or past experiences please.

I'm having surgery on my bottom jaw and my surgeon said he would give me a chin implant too. I hate my jaw because it looks non-existent, but i'm really scared and it's making me want to back out.

The things i'm scared of:
    1) Gums being wired together. Does it hurt? And does it hurt when they're taken out?
    2) The holes when the wires come out.
    3) Anaesthetic through veins? I don't know, it seems like that's how they'd administer it and i hate the thought of needles going into veins.
    4) Pain after the surgery. I can barely swallow tablets so i'm scared i won't be able to take the pain.
    5) Retraining my jaw to eat and chew. I'm lazy and i'm scared the pain will put me off trying.
    6) I have trouble breathing through my nose, it gets blocked at night. Will i be able to breathe?
    7) Permenant numbness in jaw.

I think those are my main problems. Sorry there's a lot, but with all those together i'm really dreading the operation, and as much as i want my jaw to be fixed i'm terrified.

Please help! I would love others personal experience.
    Would you recommend it to a wuss who was 100% scared of pain?

I know long term effects > short term pain, but i can't bear the thought of those few days/weeks/months.
    The jaw isn't wired together through the gums, it's done by attaching the two braces, you have so much adrenaline you can't feel a thing and it just happens so quickly you won't remember a thing, you have enough pain killers in hospital to be completely numb but you should ask for ice packs to be put into a tubi-grip and wrap it over your head it reduces the swelling and numbs it use them as long as possible it helps with bruising, after not eating for so long all you will want to do is try things but just don't go to quickly just have it lumpy so you don't have to work so hard, you will be able to breathe perfectly fine but one nostril will most likely will feel blocked but it takes a while to get back to normal, I have numbness in my gums but other than that I have no numbness.
    I am a wimp and I got through it but everyone reacts differently

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

After a year of braces I'm having my surgical consult in about a weeks time (hurrah!) and I was wondering if you could tell me how long the time between the consult and your op dates were?
    Im slightly impatient to get it done at this point as you can imagine! Also... very big likelyhood of starting to over think it and freaking myself out now its looming and I want to be prepared with an idea of how long i may have to distract myself rather than going in there thinking theres a chance they can book me in the next day or something similarly super fast.

Thanks for your help all!

Oh also, did anyone deal with Guys or Kings hospitals in London? If so, How was it?

ReputationRep:
    hi, i am meeting with the surgeon on monday to find out exactly whats happening and i will get to see the pictures and everything they took a couple of weeks ago. really scared because everythings starting to happen and am not 100% sure what i want to do - have operation or not? i would be getting it done in glasgow. has anyone on here had it done in glasgow? x

ReputationRep:
    I have an overbite which makes my face long and gives me a double chin. I had braces when I was 14-15 for a year and now I'm 17. When my dentist took the braces off he said that the jaw has reached it's plateua and that without surgery it would not move any forward. He didn't offer me surgery and that was the last I saw of him. Now I'm 17 and sub conscious about my jaw and overbite I really want to get this sorted out ASAP. I went to my dentist who gave me a referral to another orthodontist as I asked her if I had an overbite and she said quite clearly less. Id say it's like 6mm.

How long would I have to wait to get surgery? Realistically I want it ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    Also I'm 18 in June. I'm still a full time student, would I need to pay for surgery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesJWillis)
    Also I'm 18 in June. I'm still a full time student, would I need to pay for surgery?
    This surgery is free on the NHS if your orthodontist deems your problem serious enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    This surgery is free on the NHS if your orthodontist deems your problem serious enough.
    Do you think mine warrents surgery? Taking in mind that I had braces before and the orthadontist said it can't be moved any more. It really bothers me the way my face looks from the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesJWillis)
    Do you think mine warrents surgery? Taking in mind that I had braces before and the orthadontist said it can't be moved any more. It really bothers me the way my face looks from the side.

my personal oppinion is that it probally will, my side profile is similar and i was offered surgery (although i declined it for various reasons)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.