NHS Jaw Surgery Watch

JamesJWillis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If offered I will probably take. It makes my chin look so small and gives an impression of a double chin.

Why did you decline if you don't mind me asking?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JamesJWillis)
If offered I will probably take. It makes my chin look so small and gives an impression of a double chin.

Why did you decline if you don't mind me asking?
im quite a scaredy cat when it comes to pain e.c.t and i felt it was too big an operation for what would mainly be cosmetic benefits.
JamesJWillis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah okay. I'm not that scared to be honest, I can handle pain not afraid of needles etc.

The only thing I'd be scared about is the loss of sensation in my lip and chin.
kirstyjosh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hi i have an overbite and never was told just a brace could fix this i have a 16 month old so bit worried about having the energy to look after him as alot of people are saying they slept, also my surgeoon said it would be 4-6 weeks till i could go back work, what do people think? i have an overbite, i had brace put on may 2012 and looking to have surgery sometime this year, my overbit is 9mm so a big 1, i have to have this op cus im fed up of trying hide it and it knocks my confidence, just feel guilty on my son! also ive lost a considerable amount of weight since the brace im worried theyll say im to thin for surgery any1 esle lost weight with the brace?? x
JamesJWillis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't you get someone to look after your son for a couple of days for the first few days? From what I hear you should be fine after a week.
82Nick
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just thought I'd add my experience. I had my corrective surgery in July 2010. I had an 11mm overbite and I'd been seeing the surgeon and orthodontist since I was 12/13 (at which point they recommended surgery in the future but carried on seeing me up until I was ready for surgery). Anyway, I had my braces put on when I was 16, 2 and a half years later I had my surgery. The surgery sounds a lot worse than it actually is. I remember being sat in the hospital waiting to be checked onto the ward and being greeted by someone who had just undergone the very same procedure. It looked horrific. A swollen face and gauze strapped across a puffy, traumatised nose. Before that, my only concern was waking up with a canula in the back of my hand, which I knew was going to happen anyway (I ended up waking up with two in the same hand and they were no big deal at all). Anyway, the actual surgery lasted between 6-8 hours I've been told (maybe longer) and despite what some people have said I felt no pain whatsoever. I was completely numb from the nerve damage. The only negative thing was the constant vomiting of blood, which can only be assumed as the norm given the nature of the operation and the anaesthetic. The recovery was manageable, but also uncomfortable, mainly because of the loss of your nose effectively. Due to the nature of the surgery, the tubes which would enter your mouth in most operations have to go via your nose which causes a lot of trauma. You're not allowed to breathe through your nose and you're advised against blowing your nose for the next 4-6 weeks. Also, the slightest bit of exercise resulted in a heavy nosebleed, the perfect excuse to be waited on hand and foot. I lost a stone in the first week due to the restrictions on eating I was skin and bone. Due to the blood loss, you're also advised to consume iron heavy foods - spinach smoothies, yum… :confused:. I remember craving a McDonald's just 1 week after the surgery, I ended up buying a small bag of fries and just licking them, just to get the flavour. That's how desperate I got. But anyway, it's now 3 years on, the braces came off 2 years ago. I don't beep at airports, there are no permanent side effects related to my mouth (the numbness disappeared gradually, some areas came back within weeks, others a matter of months). However, as a result of the surgery and the trauma to the nose I have now been left with a deviated septum. It's only a slight inconvenience and can be easily fixed should I wish to. Hope this helped someone deliberating whether to have the procedure or not, I'm now 21 and absolutely thrilled with the results.
dannymanutd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hi just got a question how long are you on a liquid diet for because my orthodontist said it would be for eight weeks and on the internet people have said its 6 weeks would just like to know as am have surgery for my under bite on 29/04/2013
fat_hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dannymanutd)
hi just got a question how long are you on a liquid diet for because my orthodontist said it would be for eight weeks and on the internet people have said its 6 weeks would just like to know as am have surgery for my under bite on 29/04/2013
it was 8 weeks for me
xblondex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i have been under orthodontist for a couple of years now and should be getting my braces on before Christmas. in June i will be going back and signing my forms of consent for the operation so that they can do the correct orthodontist work before the op. i am really scared and am not sure i really want he operation because if i do i should be at end of 1st year or 2nd year of uni and i don't want to put my future at risk because of the op. any advice or that will be greatly appreciated.
ReMos
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ive JUST had my underbite corrective surgery (on the 9th of April)... If anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer
JamesJWillis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just saw a new orthadontist who immediately said she's going to refer me to a hospital for treatment. She said the treatment will be 2 and a half years.

I have a bad overbite. How much better will I look after my jaw is corrected?

Would they also offer a genioplasty?
ellen95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm getting braces in a week for under-bite surgery that's hopefully happening in a year.

Only one question - how much worse to the braces make the under-bite? Is it more noticeable or does it depend on each person individually?

Thanks
amanda1512
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone

I'm looking to get upper maxillary surgery, basically they are going to move my upper jaw upwards by 5mm. I'm just wondering if there is that much of a difference in how you look. I'm so worried that I am going to wake up and I don't look like me but a different person. Does anyone who has had jaw surgery look like they did before surgery x
fat_hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by amanda1512)
Hi everyone

I'm looking to get upper maxillary surgery, basically they are going to move my upper jaw upwards by 5mm. I'm just wondering if there is that much of a difference in how you look. I'm so worried that I am going to wake up and I don't look like me but a different person. Does anyone who has had jaw surgery look like they did before surgery x
You will look the same to be honest/ a tad bit more symmetical but the only difference is you will really notice is that your teeth will be amazing once everything is done.
amanda1512
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you , that is a relief to know. I've been looking at lots of before and after photos on the internet and they look very different from before and afterwards, in some cases they don't look the same. It may be because they are having upper and lower. Would you say it is worth having the surgery done.. x
fat_hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you , that is a relief to know. I've been looking at lots of before and after photos on the internet and they look very different from before and afterwards, in some cases they don't look the same. It may be because they are having upper and lower. Would you say it is worth having the surgery done.. x
Yes. Definently.

Even if you do look slightly different afterwards, you will realise that it is an improvement over how you looked before. You just didnt realise it previously.
amanda1512
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just hope I can live with the new way I will look. It would be so much easier if they would show you the change on some software, but nobody does it any more. They still do it in America where they will predict on software what you may look like so you can see how you will look if you had the operation.

Was it vertical upper jaw surgery that you had? x
fat_hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just hope I can live with the new way I will look. It would be so much easier if they would show you the change on some software, but nobody does it any more. They still do it in America where they will predict on software what you may look like so you can see how you will look if you had the operation.

Was it vertical upper jaw surgery that you had? x
Dont worry about that. Remember they are only shifting things by a few MM, which is nothing.

I had upper, lower (cross bite/open bite) along with my jaw reset - it was previously crooked. The major difference I have noticed is that my face is a lot more symmetrical (due to correcting my crooked jaw), and my top lip is fuller from them correcting the cross bite.
emzy100
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Han4492)
I had the surgery for an underbite last July. Because the doctor did such a great job my brother (who is 23) is getting it done as well as he has a worse bite than I did but never did anything about it. He is paying for the braces BUT he is getting the operation under the NHS because he said it is psychologically affecting his life. TBH it's a bit farfetched but he is getting it for free so worth a go for you as well!

I found my time in hospital horrible, i just wanted to go home. Mashed potato was a life saver as I was soooo hungry and there is only so many high calorie shakes I can take! The pain.....there wasn''t any. I had a few surgery complications so this increased me uncomfortability but i never remember the actual jaw hurting (and i skipped my meds quite a lot as i dont like using drugs too much). Just get a lot of films lined up as otherwise time will pass very slowly! My swelling took a long time to go down...i swear it is still going down. But the end result is so worth it!

I remeber being really upset the week after it and crying and wishing i'd never done it but now im so happy and i can bite damn it!!!!

You mentioned your brother was paying for his braces, i have enquired about doing this too as i wanted to pay for clear braces to be fitted but the orthadontist i went to said he would not work with the surgeon! may i ask what orthadontist your brother used as they may be just what i need. thanks x
fat_hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone.

I am currently recovering from my final jaw surgery, and there has been a noticeable improvement to my look. I have been getting a lot of compliments especially with my side profile. Some things;

1) Take A LOT of before and after photos. This is my 4th op in 4 years. And if it wern't for them I would not be able to appreciate the changes to my face.

You gotta realise that when they move your jaw, they are literally moving everything by a few mm. As you see your face everyday, you are used to it and can eventually become disheartened if you feel the pain wasn't worth it.

2) take it easy during the recovery period. Just rest. You will probably need 2 months off.

3) family and friends - I have only told those that I feel are close to me about this and it has helped a lot.

You may opt to go through it privately.

4) you won't look completely different.

The best way I can describe the aesthetic changes, is that you will look more symmetric - which is a good thing, because that equates to looking more photogenic. You will find that a lot of models are naturally very symmetric.

Best of luck everyone. It's a crazy journey especially for those that have class 3 mallocousions, which is what I had.

I can honestly say, I've been humbled by the experience. Come to realise that good looks are skin deep and if I ever meet a great girl going through this, I would date her.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (146)
27.6%
No (383)
72.4%

Watched Threads