The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Hi,

I'm still waiting for mine, no signs of it happening anytime soon! I'm starting to get impatient now! Did anyone else have teeth out and did they take forever to close the gaps? Last appointment my orthodontist said my gaps were still 3, 4mm? Is this going to take ages? So sick of the brace and I just want the op doing!!
HI Does anyone know how to know which consultant is the best to go with to do your jaw surgery. I've seen a few posts from some people who have had unsuccessful jaw surgery from wonky faces to having more bone taken away than they said. I'm so sorry for you people. Has anyone had any surgery done in the Nottingham area that you can recommend a surgeon. I am thinking of Andrew Sidebottom.
Original post by large1878
Hi,

I'm still waiting for mine, no signs of it happening anytime soon! I'm starting to get impatient now! Did anyone else have teeth out and did they take forever to close the gaps? Last appointment my orthodontist said my gaps were still 3, 4mm? Is this going to take ages? So sick of the brace and I just want the op doing!!

They can't perform jaw surgery unless your teeth are perfectly straight, as they use that as a guide.
i had corrective jaw surgery for an overbite of 11mm (quite big)
i had braces for 3.5 years before surgery (but they said I was ready after about 2, I just wanted to finish school first) and then had braces for about 4/5 months after the op :smile:

for me, the worst pain was earache for 2-3 days, but was controlled with paracetamol and some other drugs.
Spent 1 week in hospital, then about 3/4 weeks in my house, lazing around my bed or sofa
after about 4/5 weeks i started to walk around town a bit on short walks or got taken places to visit people, face was still very swollen, but went down every day
6/7 weeks onward i had most of my strength back & could go places normally, but face was still fairly swollen, so didnt want to spend too much time in public, 8 weeks, no one could tell i had had an operation.

The liquid diet is amazing, i ate soups, weetabix, custard, milkshakes, mouses, puddings, this slices of chocolate that i could post through my teeth etc, basically my favourite food AND STILL LOST 4.5-5ish KILOS, AMAZING!

would highly recommend it, maybe wait until the start of the summer holidays though
Can anyone recommend a good surgeon in the Mansfield/Nottingham area please.
Original post by Sohaila14
For those who have had the surgery did you have to pay for the treatment or anything? Because I've had my braces on for nearly 1 year now and I've got 1 more year to go but my teeth are straight it's just the bite they need to fix! I have an overbite and I need surgery but I was wondering whether i would need to pay for it, I'm 18 but got my braces in when I was 17!
Also how long does the recovery procedure take?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should be free on the nhs
Original post by fat_hobbit
It should be free on the nhs

Thank youuuu

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 168
I'm 16 and have an underbite and would have to have both jaws broken if I went ahead with the operation.
The major thing that's putting me off is not being able to breath after the operation when your jaw's wired shut. I breathe a lot through my mouth and am claustrophobic so can't think of anything worse than that. The swelling, pain and eating I'm fine with. Can anyone tell me how breathing is?
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by megan_12
I'm 16 and have an underbite and would have to have both jaws broken if I went ahead with the operation.
The major thing that's putting me off is not being able to breath after the operation when your jaw's wired shut. I breathe a lot through my mouth and am claustrophobic so can't think of anything worse than that. The swelling, pain and eating I'm fine with. Can anyone tell me how breathing is?
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talk to your surgeon at your next joint clinic about it.
Reply 170
Original post by Sohaila14
For those who have had the surgery did you have to pay for the treatment or anything? Because I've had my braces on for nearly 1 year now and I've got 1 more year to go but my teeth are straight it's just the bite they need to fix! I have an overbite and I need surgery but I was wondering whether i would need to pay for it, I'm 18 but got my braces in when I was 17!
Also how long does the recovery procedure take?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

My orthodontist said it'd be free for my whole life because it's such a major decision to make when you're so young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My orthodontist said it'd be free for my whole life because it's such a major decision to make when you're so young.

I really hope mine is free aswell but I think they'll wait for my teeth and bite to be perfect before they carry the surgery out I am in need of it badly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From my experience breathing was difficult in the first 18 hours after the surgery, however I found it was less to do with having my jaw swollen and more to do with the fact I couldn't get all the congealed blood out of my mouth (horrible I know). After that my breathing pretty much went back to normal and I didn't have any problems.
Has anyone had jaw surgery over the age of 30. I've been reading some comments, not on this forum but peopel saying that it ages you when you are over 30 and you skin sags. Has anyone on here had upper jaw surgery past this age. Any comments would be great x
Do you have any before and after pictures that I could look at of your change. I understand if you don't, I hope you don't mind me asking
Original post by amanda1512
Do you have any before and after pictures that I could look at of your change. I understand if you don't, I hope you don't mind me asking

I can send you before after pics of my procedure if you want.
That would be great thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by amanda1512
That would be great thank you.

Sent :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
ive been booked in for a surgical appointment on the 20th of june with my surgeons to talk about what is going to happen during my jaw surgery. I was just wondering how long it will take for me to take a slot open for surgery (an estimated timescale) from those who have gone through the same process :smile:
Original post by Arman_Partow
ive been booked in for a surgical appointment on the 20th of june with my surgeons to talk about what is going to happen during my jaw surgery. I was just wondering how long it will take for me to take a slot open for surgery (an estimated timescale) from those who have gone through the same process :smile:

They should give you a date for when the surgery is due.